Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 1 May 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1598885)   #1
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Decent life span for a "modern" car

With my car having it's 10th "birthday" last december as well as creossing the 100.000km mark, I do wonder, what's the appropiate life span of a modern car with good (although not obsessive) maintenance?

A neighbour has a 30 year old Renault 12 in immaculate condition although I would think that it is the exception to the rule. Likewise, one can see 8-10 year old cars that seem bound for the junkyard.

If I keep my car well mantained (away from a corrosive enviroment BTW), how long could I expect to enjoy it, both in years and in kms?
Old 1 May 2006, 23:55 (Ref:1599057)   #2
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would think 300,000km is not beyond question if things are maintained well and you keep on top of any minor problems before they become major problems. I would expect there to be some minor components needing replacement in that period and possibly major work to an engine or auto gearbox, in addition to normal servicing/consumables. Also by that time (if not before) the suspension be in serious need of re-bushing etc. In terms of time if the car has not been claimed by significant rust in 20-25 years you would be doing well (less if the car is not kept undercover).

A friend recently retired a Peugeot 404 (late 60s model) with over 400,000 miles on the clock as it was in need of rust repair. Not sure on full mechanical history though but I think it was original mechanicals.
Old 3 May 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1600024)   #3
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A brand spankers car will still last a while IMO, it's just when things go wrong they will be more expensive to fix.

my '89 Skyline has 300k on it, suspension is the only thing that has needed work. If a car is maintained well it will last for a LONG time

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 3 May 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1600060)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The depressing thing I find is that a car's economic life ends long before its useful practical life. I've just picked up for pennies a 1986 Nissan Prairie and a 1993 Rover 218 diesel, both well-maintained, good service histories, but have both had moderate forecasts for expenditure which far outweigh their value as motor cars.

I'm loath to see them scrapped, so I'm going to practice tinkering on them to see if I can get them roadworthy and keep them "recycled" for a bit longer.

Anyone got a new pair of u/js for a Rover 200?

My own 1994 Rover 216 is still running heartily after 12 years and 160,000 miles (270,000 k's roughly) of frankly hard driving. It lives out in all weathers and it does get spiritedly chucked everywhere, but it does also get maintained and I stick to the recommended service schedules. With luck, it should have years of service in it yet, even if I do get through a set of brake discs every three years!
Old 3 May 2006, 14:47 (Ref:1600101)   #5
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Aaah, your wonderful Rover TimD - did it get through its MOT again with those Le Mans camping tickets all over the windscreen? (Hope to see it and you again in June)
Old 4 May 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1600574)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
I've just picked up for pennies a 1986 Nissan Prairie and a 1993 Rover 218 diesel, both well-maintained, good service histories, but have both had moderate forecasts for expenditure which far outweigh their value as motor cars.

I'm loath to see them scrapped, so I'm going to practice tinkering on them to see if I can get them roadworthy and keep them "recycled" for a bit longer.
Crikey, Tim, what a glutton for punishment!
Old 4 May 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1600594)   #7
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Automobile Antics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
With my car having it's 10th "birthday" last december as well as creossing the 100.000km mark, I do wonder, what's the appropiate life span of a modern car with good (although not obsessive) maintenance?
200,000km is not unreasonable to expect, assuming that the valves were looked at when you had the head off earler this year. What will ceretainly happen is various parts will reach the end of their service life and the car will become what is known as a `money pit'. Small electro-mechanical things will require replacement such as light switches. In addition, UV from sunlight will start to deteriorate various plastic parts such as knobs and trim pieces which will crumble and become annoying.

Components such as the starter, master & clutch cylinders, brake seals and water pumps should be good for 150,000km.

The battery is four year replacemant item as you have probably discovered by now.

It becomes a question of how much time/money you wish to expend. The car is not likely to go `clank, BANG! and stop' wihout some warning.
Old 5 May 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1601360)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
flippin' eck, my car is 4 years old and has done 72,000, which i'm thinking is somewhere around 110,000km?

our family cars tend to keel over at around 170,000 miles, although my van is currently at that, and still hasn't fallen over (it's a 1997 car). on the other hand i think a car that has only been ours for 90,000km is only lasting till 170,000km.
Old 12 May 2006, 11:58 (Ref:1606942)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Also a lot depends on what kind of life the car has had - my pug has done 137,000 miles most of which has been hacking down a selection of shoddy B roads on my way to and from work - that will have had a far more damaging effect on the car than the same mileage done on motorways - the suspension and transmission have taken a pounding over the years but the old girl is still going
Old 21 May 2006, 00:04 (Ref:1615271)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
While my sister's Citroen Xsara with only 82k on the clock drives like a Toyota Corolla which has done 350,000km!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods