Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 25 Jul 2012, 09:40 (Ref:3111150)   #1
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British & Retro Rallycross - Lydden Hill August 26/27th

After attending this weekend's Mallory Park rallycross meeting - my first in 10 years as Rob (Gibson) kindly reminded me! - I am positively hooked on this fine multi-surface sport of ours once more.

I am looking at the Lydden Hill meeting on the 26/27th August Bank Holiday weekend, and wanted to ask you lot a few questions to aid my plans.

What is the format of this two-day meeting? Am I right in thinking that it will be the Heats on the Sunday, and the Finals on the Monday?

Does Lydden Hill have any camping facilities within the circuit? If not, is there a private one nearby that most people tend to use instead?

If I think of anything else, I'll ask - many thanks.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 11:10 (Ref:3111190)   #2
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it definitely going to be a two-day event at Lydden? It only needed one day in Easter, and hopefully will only need one day in August. So much better when it all gets done on one day.

Oh but if it is two days then it's usually warm-up, timed practice and Heat 1 on Sunday. Heats 2 and 3, then the Finals on Monday. If ERC is anything to go by, there will be camping at the circuit.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 11:56 (Ref:3111207)   #3
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks for that 'Hickey' - most helpful.

Well, www.lyddenhill.co.uk , www.rallycrossuk.com and www.retrorallycross.com ALL list it as a two-day meeting, so it looks like it might well be true.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 16:06 (Ref:3111307)   #4
AlamakiRX
Racer

AlamakiRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess would be it will run like an ERC event with practice, and 1st heats on the Sunday and the rest on Monday.

Sure they could fit it all in 1 day though, so maybe they planning something else, as there is NO btrda classes at the event, so less drivers, but one additonal day??
Old 26 Jul 2012, 23:35 (Ref:3111875)   #5
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't remember which year, but this meeting has been listed as a 2 day event before and reverted to a 1 day meeting.

Think the last time it was a two day we had the Belgium rallycross championship on the Sunday and the British on the Monday.

Hopefully it will revert to one day, as the 6hr WEC at Silverstone has now moved from the Saturday to the Sunday of that weekend
Old 1 Aug 2012, 13:30 (Ref:3114717)   #6
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i also hope it 's changed in a one day event.
With no btrda drivers, one day would make a fine race-day.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 14:44 (Ref:3114755)   #7
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure if the rallycross is over two days, but the 26th/27th August is now the "Mayhem - Action Sports Event" at Lydden: includes BMX, FMX, drift and rallycross.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3114757)   #8
AlamakiRX
Racer

AlamakiRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Not sure if the rallycross is over two days, but the 26th/27th August is now the "Mayhem - Action Sports Event" at Lydden: includes BMX, FMX, drift and rallycross.
How do you know this, where is it announced?

Also this sounds like an X Games type event in the Uk
Old 1 Aug 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3114762)   #9
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamakiRX View Post
How do you know this, where is it announced?
There is a notification for the event in the Lydden Hill group on Facebook (Amy Doran has created the event, so it seems genuine)

Not sure if a link direct to the Facebook page will work, but here you go:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/MayhemExtreme
Old 1 Aug 2012, 17:23 (Ref:3114806)   #10
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the Facebook site:

@Lydden Hill Race Circuit on August 26/27

A Fresh new action event to feature the best in extreme sports with WORLD class athletes.

Designed for the spectator in mind, the event is brought to you by top athletes from various sports for the ultimate interactive experience.

THIS IS THE NEW ACTION SPORTS EVENT FOR THE UK AND EUROPE!

RALLYCROSS - Led by XGAMES Gold Medalist and Monster Energy athlete Liam Doran (UK). The event will incorporate Round 4 of the Monster Energy MSA British rallycross Championship, featuring 600bhp Supercars that go 0-60mph in 1.9 seconds!! These cars are complete animals!

FMX - Headed by Andre Villa,The Spaniard from Norway. Andre is a World class pro Freestyle Motocross Rider that competes in the famous Red Bull X-Fighters. This guy makes any freestyle trick look easy! Alongside Andre will be Jamie squibb, a 3 time British FMX Champion.

BMX - Top Monster Energy Athlete Harry Main will lead the competition.
With 10 other riders competing in the ''Mayhem Park'' arena, BMX will be a big feature at this years event.

DRIFT - The 4 wheel sport which is taking over the world of motorsport. The drifting on track will be brought to you by TOP names in the sport of drift.

'MAYHEM' AT LYDDEN HILL RACE CIRCUIT ON AUGUST 26/27.
Sunday 26th - Qualifying/practice
Monday 27th - Heats/Finals

General admission Tickets and camping tickets are available on the day.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 17:27 (Ref:3114807)   #11
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
A somewhat diluted traditional Rallycross Bank Holiday Monday then.

Or is it great marketing to increase ticket sales to promote rallycross?

Not sure 0-60mph in 1.9secs, 600bhp and Liam being described as an 'athlete' are completely correct either.

Interesting times.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 20:01 (Ref:3114879)   #12
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just looks like a load of old ****e to me!
Looking as though the days of Rallycross as an event on its own are gone!
Enjoy it all folks pre curser to the new outlook for the 2013 season backed by extreme promoters and that's all there interested in. This will all tie in well with the other possible change for Rallycross but then that's all for the other thread, maybe now we know who the other parties are who have been discussing the future of the sport!
Old 1 Aug 2012, 20:49 (Ref:3114903)   #13
rallyxxx
Rookie

rallyxxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a load of horse ****, stop trying to make rallycross in to something its not, we don't want some lads playing on kids bikes or people sliding around on the handbrake give it a rest !!!
Old 1 Aug 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3114905)   #14
rallyxxx
Rookie

rallyxxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebby View Post
A somewhat diluted traditional Rallycross Bank Holiday Monday then.

Or is it great marketing to increase ticket sales to promote rallycross?

Not sure 0-60mph in 1.9secs, 600bhp and Liam being described as an 'athlete' are completely correct either.

Interesting times.
haha just read your quote i also agree liam is fare from an athlete maybe an embarrassment to the sport is closer to the truth , since he got the monster deal he has change in to a complete knob
Old 1 Aug 2012, 21:59 (Ref:3114945)   #15
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
'Mayhem' does seem to correlate with the BRC's title sponsor's vision having taken a look at their website:

"Our idea of a promotion isn’t giving away a TV you already got. Our promos offer exclusive VIP access, insane trips hanging with top musicians, athletes, and real gear like dirt bikes, snowboards, BMX bikes, rims and helmets.

In short, at Monster all our guys walk the walk in action sports, punk rock music, partying, hangin’ with the girls, and living life on the edge. Monster is way more than an energy drink. Led by our athletes, musicians, employees, distributors and fans, Monster is... A lifestyle in a can."

Question is whether this will detract from rallycross, which we all on here see as the main event.

However there does seem to be a monopoly developing... championship sponsor sponsors a supercar team, said team own/lease Lydden, events there are organised by LHMC which is run by the family of said supercar team, LHMC also run the championship and organise the GB round of the ERC...

Don't get me wrong the Dorans have done a massive amount for rallycross, especially for rallycross in Great Britain, but you do have to wonder where the impartiality is going to come from going forward.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3114958)   #16
sashchris
Rookie

England
newton aycliffe
sashchris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that the sport of rallycross is being slowly hijacked by some 'monster'ous force !
I remember the darts player jocky Wilson once being described as an athlete, it's all I can think about when I hear Liam doran and athlete in the same sentence
Old 1 Aug 2012, 22:39 (Ref:3114959)   #17
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Red Bull did something similar with motorcross and their ProNationals last year, by adding BMX and FMX displays plus children characters. (no drifting of course)

They kept admission low last year, and got a good crowd at canada heights and the displays didnt interfere with the racing.

Guess the drifters will need the circuit though
Old 2 Aug 2012, 07:11 (Ref:3115081)   #18
porky
Rookie

porky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a shame, Rallycross on the same bill as push bikes.
Call me old fasioned but it's not my style of rallycross i'm afraid, whilst i applaud the effort made by the organisers i don't think this is the direction most people in rallycross wish to go. they'll be having us wearing silly hat's next
Old 2 Aug 2012, 07:26 (Ref:3115086)   #19
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashchris View Post
I remember the darts player jocky Wilson once being described as an athlete, it's all I can think about when I hear Liam doran and athlete in the same sentence
Old 2 Aug 2012, 15:53 (Ref:3115296)   #20
sashchris
Rookie

England
newton aycliffe
sashchris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schanche View Post
Just looks like a load of old ****e to me!
Looking as though the days of Rallycross as an event on its own are gone!
Enjoy it all folks pre curser to the new outlook for the 2013 season backed by extreme promoters and that's all there interested in. This will all tie in well with the other possible change for Rallycross but then that's all for the other thread, maybe now we know who the other parties are who have been discussing the future of the sport!
Yes I think you have called that just about right
Old 2 Aug 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3115346)   #21
GOLDFINGER
Racer

GOLDFINGER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
glad i witnessed rallycross in the 80s
Old 2 Aug 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3115352)   #22
CzecheredFlag
Rookie

CzecheredFlag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was planning on heading down to Lydden Hill for the Rallycross, but now with all the other 'activities' that are now included, i'm planning on heading north instead for the BTTC.

I think this is the end of the BRC as we know it, bring back the 'Open' championship.
Old 2 Aug 2012, 20:11 (Ref:3115372)   #23
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
The facebook site has been taken down, the plot thickens
Old 2 Aug 2012, 20:26 (Ref:3115380)   #24
rs 200
Racer

rs 200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all sounds like we got what we want now we do as we like.
how i wish we could all see the 90,s cars so much more fun to watch and i bet so much more fun to drive ,i know when they came out after the gp b i thought i don't like them but looking back they were still very good alot better than today's tosh ,and now what there doing is a joke ,bit like the ERC joke thats just came out where is this all leading to.
This springs to mind of rallycross now,the END
Old 2 Aug 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3115400)   #25
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs 200 View Post
It all sounds like we got what we want now we do as we like.
how i wish we could all see the 90,s cars so much more fun to watch and i bet so much more fun to drive ,i know when they came out after the gp b i thought i don't like them but looking back they were still very good alot better than today's tosh ,and now what there doing is a joke ,bit like the ERC joke thats just came out where is this all leading to.
This springs to mind of rallycross now,the END
Agree. Sadly I feel some of all this coming 5 or so years ago as posted on here. The sport seems to have imploded on itself like it did in the mid 90s......