Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Jan 2019, 12:35 (Ref:3874938)   #1
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trailer Registration for Europe

This was posted on the Monoposto Forum recently. I guess it could well affect some people here...

Important information on trailer registration plates for registered number plate suppliers

From 28 March 2019, it will be a requirement for certain trailers travelling abroad to be registered with DVLA. To give customers enough time to register, we aim to launch the service in January 2019. When registered, trailers must display a trailer registration number plate as well as the registration number plate of the towing vehicle.

Registration plates must be supplied by registered number plate suppliers. You may be asked to supply these plates so you will need the following information.

Trailer registration plate specifications

The trailer registration mark will consist of one letter followed by seven numbers. They will be grouped as one letter and three numbers followed by a group of four numbers, for example A123 4567 in this layout.

The plate should use the standard font and have the following characteristics:
• characters should be 64 millimetres in height
• have a width of 44 millimetres, except for the character representing the number '1' and letter 'I', which must have a width of 10 millimetres
• have a stroke width of 10 millimetres
• be separated by 10 millimetres from any other characters within a group, groups of characters in the registration mark must be separated from one another by a space of 5 millimetres vertically
• the width of the margin between the top or lateral edges of the registration plate and any part of a character used to display a registration mark on it must be at least 5 millimetres
• the width of the margin between the bottom edge of the registration plate and any part of a character used to display a registration mark on it must be at least 13 millimetres
The trailer registration plate must have solid black characters on a white background. No material, other than a registration mark, may be displayed on a registration plate except for information that identifies the manufacturer of the registration plate.

Questions and answers

What is the trailer registration scheme and why has it been introduced?
Trailer registration scheme is a DVLA service for certain UK trailers used internationally. It is being introduced as part of the UK’s ratification of the 1968 Vienna Convention and to address the issues already faced by customers using UK trailers abroad.

Will every trailer in the UK be registered?
No, registration will be mandatory for all commercial use trailers travelling internationally that weigh over 750kg in gross weight. Registration is also mandatory for non-commercial use trailers that travel internationally and weigh over 3,500kg in gross weight.

How should the trailer registration plate be displayed?
The trailer registration plate must be fixed to the rear of the trailer in a position that is as far as reasonably practicable from the position of the towing vehicle registration plate. If it is not possible to fix a registration plate on the rear of the trailer, a registration plate must be fixed to both sides of the trailer and in such positions that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from either side of the trailer.

What documentation do I check?
As with vehicle registration plates customers will need to provide a document to confirm their identity and a document proving their entitlement to use the registration number. The list of acceptable documents can be found on the INF136. For trailer registration plates, customers should be able be able to provide the ‘UK trailer registration certificate’ (VTRC) or a ‘Trailer number plate authorisation certificate’ (eV948/2).

Further information on the Trailer Registration Scheme can be found at http://www.gov.uk/euexitdriving.

From 28 March 2019, you must register commercial trailers over 750kg and all trailers over 3,500kg before they can travel through countries that have ratified the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

This includes these countries in the EU, EEA and Europe:

Albania Andorra Armenia Austria Azerbaijan
Belarus Belgium Bosnia and Herzegovina Bulgaria Croatia
Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France
Georgia Germany Greece Hungary Italy
Kazakhstan Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg
Macedonia Moldova Monaco Montenegro Netherlands
Norway Poland Portugal Romania Russia
San Marino Serbia Slovakia Slovenia Sweden
Switzerland Ukraine
Old 9 Jan 2019, 15:34 (Ref:3874972)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Alan it's even more complicated in Spain, if you have a vehicle fitted with a tow bar it must be an approved part by the vehicle manufacturers otherwise it won't pass the ITV (MOT). Ok so you could remove it for the test but the police will do anything to fine people (especially foreigners) if it is registered on Spanish plates !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Jan 2019, 15:46 (Ref:3874974)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Nothing on the .gov website to tell you how to register a trailer, no doubt there will be a mad scramble to register trailers along with everything else new and the civil servants unable to cope.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 15:56 (Ref:3874977)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Nothing on the .gov website to tell you how to register a trailer, no doubt there will be a mad scramble to register trailers along with everything else new and the civil servants unable to cope.
Exactly ! Back in the early 70s I was involved in fitting side windows and rear seat conversions in small vans. According to the powers that be you should have paid a tax to the government just for the privilege, however after writing and phoning several times we were moved from pillar to post as no one knew anything about it, so we didn't bother !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Jan 2019, 16:24 (Ref:3874986)   #5
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Dont you think its a kind of "harmonisation" of the rules with european ones? I'm not joking, but from Alan's text, I find many ressemblance with what we have here. We recently had several changes about the weights, trailer and towing car and even the licence, now a medical certificate is no more mandatory as was.

Still if you want to convert any car for commercial use, you'll have to pay a recognized company to remove and destroy the rear seats…
Old 9 Jan 2019, 17:01 (Ref:3874999)   #6
RICHARD.T
Racer

RICHARD.T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I will be all-right as my Brian James Sprint Shuttle plus racing car and spare wheels comes in at just over 3,000kg gross and is non commercial.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 18:29 (Ref:3875015)   #7
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD.T View Post
I think I will be all-right as my Brian James Sprint Shuttle plus racing car and spare wheels comes in at just over 3,000kg gross and is non commercial.
Surely the rule will be applied on the maximum gross weight on the trailer chassis plate (i.e. what you could carry not what you are actually carrying).
Although should we leave the EU on March 29th, as the majority want, then I guess it deserves to be kicked into the long grass and ignored.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 18:39 (Ref:3875019)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks Alan for posting the press release. As Tim says there is nowt on the website enabling you to actually register......

My RS2 Shuttle is small enough to be exempt, and rarely goes out of the country anyway. The big truck will need the trailer registering though, when the DVLA get round to telling us how to do it!

Yes, my take is that it is the weight on your trailer plate that matters, not the actual weight in individual circumstances.

It is some sort of harmonisation, but seems Spain has opted out so the registration isn’t needed there! That’s lucky as my first truck trip is to there and I should avoid France- if Britney get round to allocating some freight space on their ferries.....

Edit- I’ve registered with DVLA for Trailer Registration updates, so we’ll see what happens!

Last edited by Mike Bell; 9 Jan 2019 at 18:48.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 06:28 (Ref:3875125)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Having just looked on a couple of trailer manufacturers websites, looks like even the largest tri-axle shuttle is only 3500kg gvw rating.

So chances of a private race trailer requiring registration are small. Virtually all being used commercially will need registering.....
Old 10 Jan 2019, 08:03 (Ref:3875136)   #10
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Having just looked on a couple of trailer manufacturers websites, looks like even the largest tri-axle shuttle is only 3500kg gvw rating.
There's a good reason to this. You can tow anything up to 3500 gvw with a standard car licence plus a special exam for the trailer, turning your licence B to BE. Rather easy to obtain. Not easy to keep intact!

For any trailer above 3500 you must have a C1E licence, allowing to drive any "ensemble" up to 12 000 kilos. Almost a matter of pro.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affic...egorieLien=cid
Old 11 Jan 2019, 14:58 (Ref:3875504)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:

So chances of a private race trailer requiring registration are small. Virtually all being used commercially will need registering.....
You won't find much if anything over 3500KG gross as it goes into the realms of air or electric brakes and as Grerard says C1E licence although it's different here in the UK if you took your test before 1997
Old 11 Jan 2019, 15:48 (Ref:3875518)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
You won't find much if anything over 3500KG gross as it goes into the realms of air or electric brakes and as Grerard says C1E licence although it's different here in the UK if you took your test before 1997
Yes, I figured that after looking at my and neighbour’s shuttles. There is a plate declaring 3500kg max separate to the specific trailer plate.... I think our licence requirement is now in line with Europe, unless, as you say, you’re old enough to have taken your driving test before ‘97?

Anyway, no news from DVLA yet as to how I register my trailer....
Old 11 Jan 2019, 16:48 (Ref:3875526)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:

Anyway, no news from DVLA yet as to how I register my trailer....
I can do it for you Mike, send 10,000 of your GB pounds to my cousin, Prince Kwame, in Ghana and it'll be sorted soon
Old 11 Jan 2019, 16:54 (Ref:3875532)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I can do it for you Mike, send 10,000 of your GB pounds to my cousin, Prince Kwame, in Ghana and it'll be sorted soon
For that price I expect to have a personal plate.....
Old 11 Jan 2019, 19:31 (Ref:3875572)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I was wondering if you register a trailer with its own number and put the plate on it and use it in the UK instead of the tow vehicle plate how the BiB will favour it.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 19:45 (Ref:3875580)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I was wondering if you register a trailer with its own number and put the plate on it and use it in the UK instead of the tow vehicle plate how the BiB will favour it.
The blurb on the website is all about use in mainland Europe, but could be interesting to ‘lose’ the tractor / tow vehicle plate from the trailer in this country!

I’m guessing that these trailer numbers will be on a DVLA database, and be accessible by other countries that have data ‘sharing’ arrangements in place?

Convenient if not.....
Old 11 Jan 2019, 21:17 (Ref:3875603)   #17
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was I who posted that on the Mono forum, having received the email as being on the DVLA's books as a registered supplier of number plates.

Yes, no actual information on how to register less than 3 months from implementation...
Old 12 Jan 2019, 02:00 (Ref:3875640)   #18
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The GOV.UK note in post #1 states:
"When registered, trailers must display a trailer registration number plate as well as the registration number plate of the towing vehicle."
Old 12 Jan 2019, 05:54 (Ref:3875646)   #19
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Tim, feel free to correct but I wonder about your '97: may be its a typo and we should read '79 instead? Around one year from here, Gordon was talking about the spanish gov' studying new rules for the foreign driving licences. Then came up the special allowances list, "code 79" is one of those, and I recall Gordon saying that he'd better keep his english licence till it lasts.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 05:54 (Ref:3875647)   #20
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Terence Bower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Passing a Polizei van and trailer yesterday, thought of this topic. Trailers here always have their own plate, whereas the towing vehical has its own as well. So why has Britain decided on two plates for the trailer? Muddled thinking as usual(like Brexit)
Old 12 Jan 2019, 06:19 (Ref:3875649)   #21
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
At first glance, OK with you Terence, sounds like an unnecessary hassle. Looking forward, it makes sens for the big "semi remorques", for instance a big UK tractor towing a huge polish trailer. In case of incident, dont your think it will be easier to identify the driver? If they can't be considered as "go fast" some are good runaway!
Old 12 Jan 2019, 06:22 (Ref:3875650)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
The GOV.UK note in post #1 states:
"When registered, trailers must display a trailer registration number plate as well as the registration number plate of the towing vehicle."
Yes, but thats when being used in mainland Europe countries that require them. Tim was talking about use in the UK. Interesting that it says that the trailer plate should be located as far from the tow vehicle plate as possible. Most trucks have them fairly close if not next door.

Terence, it’s just UK catching up with a Euro convention- eventually! And I doubt anything to do with leaving the EU, as if we’re not in it we don’t need to conform.... As Gerard says, it should allow trailers to be more easily traced if the number is permanently attached.

Still puzzled as to why Spain not requiring the plates though, as they’ve always had separate trailer numbers.....
Old 12 Jan 2019, 06:34 (Ref:3875653)   #23
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yes Mike, in the case a foreign trailer alone comes to your country by ferry, it will be towed by a UK tractor. In this case, a good thing to have the two numbers clearly displayed.
I won't make any comment about Spanish truckers having seen some driving around 75 mph at night…
Old 12 Jan 2019, 10:00 (Ref:3875670)   #24
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Terence, it’s just UK catching up with a Euro convention- eventually! And I doubt anything to do with leaving the EU, as if we’re not in it we don’t need to conform.... As Gerard says, it should allow trailers to be more easily traced if the number is permanently attached.

I would hazard a guess that it is more to do with the fact that the UK Parliaments (both Houses) voted last year to incorporate all the EU conventions and rules into UK legislation.

This is the thing that makes me laugh about the whole Brexit idea of the UK regaining it's sovereignty. People seem to forget that until our own Parliaments have debated and voted on all the stuff that comes out of Brussels that it doesn't have any force in the UK.

OK, the European Court may take a view on a matter that they consider doesn't meet EU standards, but, nevertheless, the UK can still create it's own version of what they think the EU meant to regulate. However, with the huge EU Bill passed last year, hundreds or possibly thousands of conventions, regulations and rules were incorporated into UK statute with virtually no debate. The idea is that our Parliaments will debate all these matters in the years to come with a view on whether the UK wants to keep them on the Statute Book or not. And that should keep them from introducing any new legislation for decades, if they actually bother to do it anyway.

And they talk about taking back control!
Old 12 Jan 2019, 13:08 (Ref:3875704)   #25
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Yes, but thats when being used in mainland Europe countries that require them. Tim was talking about use in the UK. .............
Yes, I read his mention of the BiB meaning our police not the foreign ones. There's nothing in the legislation suggesting the removal of the towing vehicle's plate so that will still be on the trailer. If used internationally then the additional trailer plate will be on it too. I can't see anyone bothering to remove the trailer plate when it returns to the UK so it will then carry both.
Tim said 'instead of the tow vehicle plate' which wouldn't happen?
Good example of how hard it can be to interpret official documents...