Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old Yesterday, 15:29 (Ref:4047316)   #1996
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
back in the day bikes were 6v vs cars 12v - could it be that or have they all standardised nowadays? (as you can tell I also know nowt about bikes)
Old Yesterday, 15:44 (Ref:4047325)   #1997
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
back in the day bikes were 6v vs cars 12v - could it be that or have they all standardised nowadays? (as you can tell I also know nowt about bikes)
Glad it is not just me!

The battery I have here is 12v, a FIAMM.
Old Yesterday, 15:47 (Ref:4047326)   #1998
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post

Being of a fairly similar vintage to you, David, my initial thoughts were the same as you. In fact, until recently I had a pretty swish charger that had three, no four settings. Firstly was a fast charge for 12 volts, then a trickle rate, then 12 volts for bikes and finally 6 volts.

And I also know nowt about bikes.
Old Yesterday, 16:12 (Ref:4047333)   #1999
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Over the years things have change, you see. Today, a Yamaha 1000 cc pumps out around 200 hp, a good 600 makes c 120 hp, both remaining reliable and road homologated. In '76, a 750 Trident had 60 hp…
Sorry if this is surprising news for you but the name Neil Armstrong is connected to the moon not to a shock absorber!

John, with such a FIAMM battery I guess the horn plays La Cucaracha just to scare the groundhogs and moles sleeping around! If the thing does not start, check the coil and pull the string!
Old Today, 07:09 (Ref:4047439)   #2000
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
If your charger doesn't have a trickle charge option, you could always use a car battery as a buffer. Connect the charger to your larger car battery, and use jump leads (or something much lighter, there won't be the amperage) from that to your mini tractor battery.
Old Today, 08:49 (Ref:4047452)   #2001
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
If your charger doesn't have a trickle charge option, you could always use a car battery as a buffer. Connect the charger to your larger car battery, and use jump leads (or something much lighter, there won't be the amperage) from that to your mini tractor battery.
Thanks Viva. My charger claims to be for all 12v batteries but does not appear to have a trickle function. Since neither the battery nor the tractor are mine, I'll withdraw my offer to charge it!
Old Today, 10:47 (Ref:4047484)   #2002
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wise decision, John. I thing all chargers have a built in trickle function but dont take the risk if all the stuff is not yours. If everything goes wrong for your mate, you can consider a jump start using your car battery.