Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Aug 2009, 09:58 (Ref:2515290)   #1
Ken Prichard Jones
Rookie

Ken Prichard Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Classic 2009 - Comments/Suggestions

There will be a bigger and better Silverstone Classic in 2010. The gossip is put about by talkers rather than doers. We put on a very successful event this year and have learned a lot for next and subsequent years. Any suggestions for improvement will be welcome.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2515296)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ken, well done to you, Grahame and Nick for a first class event this year and thanks for coming on here to scotch the rumours.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2515353)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The news that there will be a Festival next year is Superb and not much needs to be changed.Start the Sat evening race an hour earlier as it is the best race of the weekend ? Pre War 45/50 mins rather than hour and later in day ?
Old 4 Aug 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2515372)   #4
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news about next year. Hopefully there will be a race for larger historic saloons next time around although U2TC put on a great show.

What would you drop from this year's lineup to make way for it?
Old 4 Aug 2009, 11:54 (Ref:2515376)   #5
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought myself the u2tc was much better than the nascar style race last year, much more variety at the front and close racing. Choosing races for these events is very subjective and its been hammered out before. Personally I thought it was about right this year apart from the Super Tourers who are still too young and dont fit yet and the mini event was poor, but I guess a one off anyway. My 2 penneth would be to dispense with those and divide the pre 66 GP race into front and rear engine and have a race for pre 78 F2/Atlantic.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 11:58 (Ref:2515380)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Any chance of a race for us grass roots racers. ie FF1600,FF2000. Classic F3 or just a Libre Race for Under 2 Litres No F2's. Sorry James.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2515430)   #7
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
Tom Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Classic is a superb weekend, lots of atmosphere. I think I've said this before, but do you all prefer these 55min 2 driver races ? And are they what the public wants to see ? (There were shorter races, I know. I'm talking about Pre-war and Woodcote trophy, U2TC).

I was brought up on 20-30min club "sprint" races, and prefer to both drive and watch these. Not the WSM, these cars have enough OOMPH to keep one's interest for an hour. Much that I love the cars, watching vintage stuff grinding round for an hour is not my idea of fun. (And I own and race one).

Personally I would prefer to see more variety, with shorter races.

BUT, I can hear you say, the race organiser will lose revenue, because he cant charge the same for a 25 min race. And no doubt someone will point out that there is more "down-time" with more, shorter races. Plus more machinery will take up already limited space. (Space partially taken up by, to me, some rather marginally interesting retail !)

My other minor issue is that as a "one-man-band" I do feel increasingly marginalised. I like to pop out of whose-ever motorhome I have scrounged a slot in (thanks Jussi), and tinker with the car while cracking a bottle and shooting the breeze under the awning. Thats (one of the reasons) why I like Spa. If you are not a "multiple car prepare" you can no longer do this.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2515493)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As a marginally interesting retailer, can I put my oar in? On that point, "one man's meat etc" and just 'cos one person doesn't think much of something, there are others who do. Racers can be very blinkered and the Festival needs lots of marginal interests to cater for all comers. The more who come the merrier.

IMO there needed to be more retailers to create a buzz. TBQH the Copse runway was given over to a pointless Ferrari display, that would've been much more interesting filled with a working paddock, would've attracted more retail custom too.

We had a ball, both as retailer and spectator. Some say the numbers were down Sunday - that's as may be but the quality was still there. I'm putting the classic into my calendar next year in place of Autosports International.

As a whole, there are niggles which I'm sure they'll address. e.g. Not paticularly happy leaving £10k's worth of stock in a tent overnight without any sign of security.

But on the whole, yeah, we were happy. Good event.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 15:12 (Ref:2515494)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Working on the presumption that everyone is in agreement that we want it to happen next year I think it is important to focus on what was good and constructively what could be done to make it even better. To be fair this forum is generally taking this approach rather than the other place that seems to criticise as a knee jerk reaction. Interestingly most here are actually involved whereas the other place for the most part only want free entry to a noggin to discuss cars they have never driven!
The concerts were a good thing and having a contemporary band encouraged younger people - the future supporters and drivers. The super touring cars were disappointing but that was more a case of poor entries rather than poor management!the Pre 63 was a great success as was the WSM and the Woodcote all of which were appropriately longer distance.
It is all an improvement on last year and I for one will be there whether it be as a spectator or better still competitor.
The organisers would do well to listen to the compliments from competitors who were there not the web mongs who didn't even go!!
Old 4 Aug 2009, 15:16 (Ref:2515495)   #10
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really enjoyed myself this year, my first marshalling after 4 years as a spectator. My wife, kids & in-laws came on Sunday & we all spectated. General opinion was that the off track activities weren't as good as previous years. We definately missed Scarf & Goggles as that was a real focal point, especially with live music through the day. The air display was very good but there could have been more in the way of vintage aircraft fly pasts & displays. The funfair was good for the kids but why were some operators allowed to charge for rides when it was billed as free?

Racing wise, I thought it was a pretty good balance. My father-in-law missed the u2l touring cars as they only ran on Saturday so it would be good to see those on both days, maybe only 30min races. I'd like to see the big Galaxys & Corvettes mixed in with the Cortinas & Minis too. My personal highlight was still the WSM dusk race-definately worth the late finish! The pre war cars could have done with a later start & maybe 2 shorter races as they are a real spectacle but don't offer much of a race. Early days for the Super Tourers still so a bigger grid would help but maybe they are just a bit too recent.

How about a classic 2CV race? They always entertain! A Derek Bell trophy race or 2 would also be welcome. I remember a bike race a few years ago too, which I enjoyed.

All in all, a good weekend (especially Delta's BBQ!!) and still one of the highlights of my year.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2515502)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Any chance of a race for us grass roots racers. ie FF1600,FF2000. Classic F3 or just a Libre Race for Under 2 Litres No F2's. Sorry James.
Any of the above would be good & maybe a Derek Bell type race. Also how about CSCC Swinging Sixties? I'll get my coat but there's cars in that series that are more orginal than any of the "continuation cars" & its a series that gets huge grids.

I think that the Super Tourers should be there, along with the Group A touring cars of the previous era. They are definately classics (and again older than the continuation cars). OK, maybe not that old but a great many racing fans were brought up on spectating in the Sierra Cosworth/ BMW M3 era and the STs, There's actually a fair amount of them about & the grids could build very well as long as their participation was announced early & fixed.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 17:00 (Ref:2515566)   #12
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I felt there was more than enough to see and do, and I was there 3 1/2 days. I suspect that 30-45 minute races for most are enough? Keep the 1 or 1 1/2 hour stuff for the Group C and WSM, and have them close out one day each?

I think the Le Mans "Grid Paddock" works well. There seemed to be something like it at the Classic, but mostly the awnings were tied shut when I walked past?

Niggles, mainly, certainly no show stoppers!
Old 4 Aug 2009, 17:20 (Ref:2515577)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I know that there are a fair few Super Tourers in captivity & they race in the LMA EuroSaloons and Sportscar series. Must be hard work to keep them going but it seems to be possible, although for some reason not that many of the LMA regulars were out in the DL Memorial race.
Most of the regulars were put off by the entry fee - significantly more than an LMA double-header for a similar amount of track time.

I suspect it may have been a similar story for the Mini race. Given the hundreds (thousands?) of race-ready Minis it was a disappointingly small grid.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 18:53 (Ref:2515645)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race entry fee's and gate prices really do need looking at.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 19:00 (Ref:2515647)   #15
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=midgetman;2515493]
TBQH the Copse runway was given over to a pointless Ferrari display, that would've been much more interesting filled with a working paddock, would've attracted more retail custom too.

There was plenty of room for car clubs in the brown park on the otherside of the footbridge where Club Lotus Elite, Historic Lotus, Triumph etc were placed. The infield could be opened up for Midgetman's suggestion. Formula Junior were allocated spaces for 30 cars yet had fifty-three cars to accommodate. How can you put on a good show in such conditions. Congratulations to Kevin Musson for his £1,000 prize for his meritous presentation oh the Lola in FJ.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2515938)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Were the entry fees high for a premium race? The pre 63 race was 700 from memory for a 30 Min qually and 60 min race. The grand prix support race is the same for a 20 minute race with no hospitality.
I think the super tourers and mini owners were missing the point - how often do they get the chance to race on the GP circuit and at this calibre of meeting?
It is all down to personal choice and if you want the lowest entry fees then I suggest a 750 motor club at Ltdden Hill - personally I will pay a little more and race at a nicer meeting!!
In respect to speccy costs I would be interested to hear what the critics expected to pay and more importantly what they expect in terms of infrastructure for their ticket. Video screens etc all cost money.....
Old 5 Aug 2009, 08:59 (Ref:2515978)   #17
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There was a video screen in the eating area in the Becketts infield. Very useful too.

Re Simon's comment on prices, there's two camps on this. TNF seems to be populated by dyed-in-the-wool petrolheads who resent anything not related to the cars thus think the price is high. SC wants to attract the wider market, where a day out should be ranked alongside eg Alton Towers with more to attract the whole family and the price reflects that - having said that, Thorpe Park is only £35(?) so perhaps SC needs to revisit the pricing. The world is changing and event promoters need more than just us hyper-enthusiasts to make money.

Have just watched the video on the SC site. I was there for 3 days and never saw any of that! Bummer, it looked a good event.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 09:46 (Ref:2516011)   #18
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I think that the Super Tourers should be there, along with the Group A touring cars of the previous era. They are definately classics (and again older than the continuation cars). OK, maybe not that old but a great many racing fans were brought up on spectating in the Sierra Cosworth/ BMW M3 era and the STs, There's actually a fair amount of them about & the grids could build very well as long as their participation was announced early & fixed.
As a couple of people have suggested, maybe it's a bit soon for the ST cars to really take off as a historic category- though thinking back a few years to the early years of historic Group C, as I remember the grids were often small and padded out with 70s Chevrons, 90's GT cars, ProSport 3000s etc. As the old saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day....
Old 5 Aug 2009, 12:46 (Ref:2516101)   #19
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I think the super tourers and mini owners were missing the point - how often do they get the chance to race on the GP circuit and at this calibre of meeting?
Is racing on the GP circuit really that much of a big deal? Brands GP maybe, but not Silverstone.

Quote:
It is all down to personal choice and if you want the lowest entry fees then I suggest a 750 motor club at Ltdden Hill - personally I will pay a little more and race at a nicer meeting!!
It's not about being cheap, it's about value for money. Many would rather take a hard fought battle with a full grid of similarly competitive cars on a lesser circuit than pay more to be spread out over a 'premium' circuit. Don't compare with a GP support race, which I'm sure was similarly overpriced, but with where there cars would otherwise be raced.

Quote:
In respect to speccy costs I would be interested to hear what the critics expected to pay and more importantly what they expect in terms of infrastructure for their ticket. Video screens etc all cost money.....
All the video screen were in the paddock or display areas so for a spectator actually watching trackside they were irrelevant.

MG Live meeting a few weeks earlier - similar 3-day race meeting cum classic car show - a weekend ticket was £40. 3-day Master meeting at Brands GP in May, also around £35-40. 3-day SC09 ticket was £79 + booking fee. Apart from video screens that I couldn't see and concerts that I didn't want, how do you explain the difference?
Old 5 Aug 2009, 15:18 (Ref:2516178)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Is racing on the GP circuit really that much of a big deal? Brands GP maybe, but not Silverstone.
Question, why not Silverstone? Racers want speed, Brands GP is great fun but for out and out, flat out speed you need either Silverstone or Castle Combe.

Quote:
It's not about being cheap, it's about value for money. Many would rather take a hard fought battle with a full grid of similarly competitive cars on a lesser circuit than pay more to be spread out over a 'premium' circuit. Don't compare with a GP support race, which I'm sure was similarly overpriced, but with where there cars would otherwise be raced.
Haven't seen any LMA races so assume your point is that in shorter tighter confines they are closer together so look more competitive.

Quote:
All the video screen were in the paddock or display areas so for a spectator actually watching trackside they were irrelevant.
That could be improved then.

Quote:
MG Live meeting a few weeks earlier - similar 3-day race meeting cum classic car show - a weekend ticket was £40. 3-day Master meeting at Brands GP in May, also around £35-40. 3-day SC09 ticket was £79 + booking fee. Apart from video screens that I couldn't see and concerts that I didn't want, how do you explain the difference?
Video screens and Concerts that you didn't want to watch?

Quote:
I've seen a combined Sevens/Miglias race of some 50-60 cars on the GP track before .............................
So have I, which was my point.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 16:04 (Ref:2516202)   #21
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, I understand why I pay to enter a clubbie but an event with 65, 000 (paying) spectators & TV coverage?

The business model is screwed really, isn't it. Don't worry I don't expect it to change and I don't have an answer to how to change things but contrast this with the NEC Classic Car show - the car clubs get stands for FREE.......because they ARE THE REASON THE SHOW DRAWS A CROWD.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2516209)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

I am not sure you can compare the MG meeting with the classic but possibly you are closer with masters brands meeting although I am not sure the cheaper tickets brought more paying speccys. Goodwood is the nearest in terms of spectacle and diversity and I think the number who turn up. I doubt it would be worth putting on at 40 pounds.I get the impression that the critics are never going to be happy the want it to be cheaper yet claim at the current prices it made a thumping loss! Take this to its logical conclusion and they are saying it should not happen! Can we focus on some positives - this meeting took place in the depth of a recession Ken and his team took a massive risk and they deserve to be applauded for it not criticised!!
Old 5 Aug 2009, 17:31 (Ref:2516253)   #23
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Question, why not Silverstone? Racers want speed, Brands GP is great fun but for out and out, flat out speed you need either Silverstone or Castle Combe.
If you've got a Group C or Lola T70 where you need space for a good blast then I can see the appeal of Silverstone GP, but is that as important for something like a Mini. Simon's point was that drivers should be happy to pay a premium to race on Silverstone GP, presumably because it's such a special track. My question is why is it so special? As you point out you can get a similar rush at Castle Combe without the extra cost.

Quote:
Haven't seen any LMA races so assume your point is that in shorter tighter confines they are closer together so look more competitive.
My point was that many racers are in it for fun and often care only about having an enjoyable race. Being at a 'high calibre' meeting is of relatively little important and certainly not worth paying a premium for.

Quote:
Video screens and Concerts that you didn't want to watch?
Fair point. The concerts were originally going to be a separate admission fee, which would have easily solved that problem.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2516254)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Absolutely, Simon. The bigger the event the higher the cost to the organisers. Sell it too cheaply and it makes a loss. Result, no event next year. Not, I think, the desired result.

Having said that, there is always room for improvement and Ken was asking for constructive comment.

I'm pretty tied up until after the weekend now, so may not be able to post anymore pics until then; sorry!
Old 5 Aug 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2516267)   #25
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I am not sure you can compare the MG meeting with the classic but possibly you are closer with masters brands meeting although I am not sure the cheaper tickets brought more paying speccys. Goodwood is the nearest in terms of spectacle and diversity and I think the number who turn up.
Speaking as a spectator, the MG Live event is a very good comparison - 3 day event at Silverstone. Forget what cars are actually racing, I'm not paying for the entry fees. The trade stand holders are paying for their own space so that doesn't come out of my ticket price. Likewise I'm not paying for the car club stands. Circuit hire for the GP track will more than the International used by the MG event but that's mostly covered by the drivers' entry fee not the spectators. Radio coverage and to a less extent video screen, fair enough got no problems paying for that.

Ditch the concerts and drop £30 off the ticket price, or make it a separate ticket. You'd be surprised how many times recently I've seen racing fans who wouldn't normally go to an historic meeting say that they would have liked to go but thought it was too expensive.

Quote:
I get the impression that the critics are never going to be happy the want it to be cheaper yet claim at the current prices it made a thumping loss! Take this to its logical conclusion and they are saying it should not happen! Can we focus on some positives - this meeting took place in the depth of a recession Ken and his team took a massive risk and they deserve to be applauded for it not criticised!!
Sorry Simon but you asked what spectators were expecting, don't try to shout me down if you don't like the answer.