Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Mar 2021, 10:10 (Ref:4042046)   #226
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
At our historic level it should be classed as a holiday!
Certainly calling historic drivers in FIA events international sportsmen is a very long stretch of credulity. You let the drivers travel across boarders and then the teams and hangers on and more spread of new variants which we now understand may not be totally covered by AZ or P vaccines.
If Joe Bloggs is going to be prevented in going to Benidorm I should not go to Dijon or anywhere else to mess with old bags of bolts.
The definition of “professional” is Interesting isnt it? This week Donington Park hosted at test day for Masters, i think. Yes it involved many ex F1 cars but i doubt if (m)any of the drivers were actually professionals.
Several people in Castle Donington moaned to me about the raci g community taking the “P”; it brings the sport in to disrepute.
Old 21 Mar 2021, 10:27 (Ref:4042052)   #227
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
The definition of “professional” is Interesting isnt it? This week Donington Park hosted at test day for Masters, i think. Yes it involved many ex F1 cars but i doubt if (m)any of the drivers were actually professionals.

Several people in Castle Donington moaned to me about the raci g community taking the “P”; it brings the sport in to disrepute.

Yes and no, Andy. Although not (m)any of the drivers may have motor racing as their profession or their main source of income, I feel pretty sure that there will have also been a number of people involved there who do rely on motorsport activities to provide them with their income, people such as our own Delta.

So, in that respect, they were only carrying out their respective work activities, and as such they were entitled to be there. And they would have required the drivers to be there as they have the necessary licences to drive the cars.
Old 21 Mar 2021, 10:47 (Ref:4042056)   #228
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Lots of businesses are effected by restrictions so the fetters will have to do domestic rather than foreign races with British drivers and overseas superstars who have done quarantine period. Obviously that won’t happen as majority of imports will come in an and totally ignore restrictions. Noticed this at three meetings I attended last year!
The historic gang are not special cases!
Old 21 Mar 2021, 11:27 (Ref:4042061)   #229
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Yes and no, Andy. Although not (m)any of the drivers may have motor racing as their profession or their main source of income, I feel pretty sure that there will have also been a number of people involved there who do rely on motorsport activities to provide them with their income, people such as our own Delta.

So, in that respect, they were only carrying out their respective work activities, and as such they were entitled to be there. And they would have required the drivers to be there as they have the necessary licences to drive the cars.
Yes i have heard all that said before but as far as i am aware, MSUK have made it clear that only drivers/series with “elite” status are able to test.
Maybe Masters is considered “elite”, sounds like BS to me.

I am not allowed to test, obviously, but the chap who helps me out at race meetings makes his living out of preparing, repairing and running race and rally cars so he is a professional. I still cant test.
Its not the definition of who is working that is important, it is the definition of what is “elite”. Masters? Yeah, right!
Old 21 Mar 2021, 12:01 (Ref:4042064)   #230
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Andy-well put!
In terms of what’s happening in the world historic racing is not important
It is probable more people are in trouble losing their jobs at Debenhams!
The time out from racing has allowed my lot to finish restorations of two of my cars . One of which was started twenty years ago and the other five years ago
Silver lining on every cloud!
We intend to be Donington in five weeks with four cars and then have a decent programme for remainder of year.
We still have fleet entered for LMC and Six hour Spa meeting but will only go if it’s legally and morally correct.
These FIA events that give people the designation of international sportsman is pure BS
They should prevent anyone with a waist measurement of plus 34 in having these passes as they are definitely not proper sportspeople.
Old 21 Mar 2021, 12:26 (Ref:4042066)   #231
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
They should prevent anyone with a waist measurement of plus 34 in having these passes as they are definitely not proper sportspeople.

The late, lamented Gerry Marshall would resemble that remark!
Old 21 Mar 2021, 13:15 (Ref:4042073)   #232
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

May still have been with us if he had a 32 inch waist!
He would have gone a long, long way in sport without overdoing his other main hobby but he was a bloody good bloke!
Got me into lots of trouble from mid 60’s to mid 70’d
Old 21 Mar 2021, 13:23 (Ref:4042074)   #233
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The definition of “professional” is Interesting isnt it?
Its the argument used here to have the meetings held even behind closed doors. Amateur driving but some professionals for spannering, transporting and maintaining.

Nothing to add to wisely put together JR words:
If Joe Bloggs is going to be prevented in going to Benidorm I should not go to Dijon or anywhere else to mess with old bags of bolts.
Old 21 Mar 2021, 13:35 (Ref:4042075)   #234
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
but he was a bloody good bloke!
Got me into lots of trouble from mid 60’s to mid 70’d

Thankfully, he never got me into trouble although we did spend too much time at the bar on too many occasions. I also found him to be a fair driver albeit somewhat aggressive at times. Having raced against him countless times over about 5 years, there was never any contact between us whenever one of us was trying to stay in front of the other. And I thoroughly enjoyed his company, as I did with many other drivers during those years.
Old 21 Mar 2021, 21:10 (Ref:4042127)   #235
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Phew, that's me safe then - just in!

Seriously though, I have to agree with most of the sentiments here. Plenty of us on here have spent the last year complaining about all the idiots going around ignoring the rules, so it would perhaps be a tad hypocritical to be bending those very same rules by claiming to be 'professionals', or looking for other loopholes that will allow us to go and play at what is, for the vast majority, a hobby.

All those foreign events (most, anyway) in Covid-infected countries will still be there next year, and any that can't weather the storm were perhaps on thin ice to begin with? I'm only guessing on that last point, but it seems logical that if the events were extremely popular before, then there'll be a demand for them again once we do eventually emerge from the pandemic.

Having said all that, without wishing to be a hypocrite myself, I do intend to race at Oulton on April 10th. However, it is a one-day event, no spectators, and my interaction with others at close quarters will be kept to minimum. Plus I won't be sharing any accommodation accessible by others, nor will anyone from outside my own household be accompanying me, so I'd suggest this is in stark contrast to what would be likely to happen at a big international FIA historic meeting.

But we do have to be careful, as has been said, not to run the risk of outsiders looking at us and thinking we're taking the p*ss and flouting rules by looking for loopholes. We all know that there are already plenty out there who think our hobby is simply a diversion for the filthy rich, and would like to put a stop to it completely. We don't need to be giving them any more ammunition!
Old 22 Mar 2021, 06:32 (Ref:4042161)   #236
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
My interaction with others at close quarters will be kept to minimum Very simple. Start from pole and be faster by 2 sec a lap than the rest of the batch, win and dont step on the podium…
Plus I won't be sharing any accommodation accessible by others No kidding! Keep the toilets key with you and you'll promptly become popular, at least for a while…

Last edited by Gerard C; 22 Mar 2021 at 06:37.
Old 22 Mar 2021, 09:01 (Ref:4042172)   #237
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
How does a sporting event differ from a holiday for the Ordinary Joe?

You called . .

It doesn't.

I've sold 2 cars already this year, and 2 guitars! I can't see any holidays happening, The Celtic scooter rally and the French festivasl we're due to play at have both been cancelled already, as has euro Lambretta. My 'fix' as last year is riding/driving old tat to work every day.

Oner of the studios we use for band rehearsals can, apparently, be called a place of work . . . . so last year we could meet up to make a racket together quite legally, despite being 4 blokes from different towns and 'bubbles' suffice to say, we didn't.

Last edited by zefarelly; 22 Mar 2021 at 09:07.
Old 22 Mar 2021, 14:21 (Ref:4042217)   #238
Will Nuthall
Racer

Will Nuthall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Testing is a difficult one....
In my understanding (excluding the Masters Test day) it can only be currently booked by professional motorsport organisations.
The drivers like they are in almost all forms of motorsport, don't have to be paid 'professional' racing drivers (BTCC, British GT, Le Mans etc etc).
Old 22 Mar 2021, 15:09 (Ref:4042231)   #239
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
The word isn’t “professional”, Will, it is “elite”. Now, what the definition of “elite” is is another matter!
Old 22 Mar 2021, 15:15 (Ref:4042232)   #240
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
On another matter, I see that the MSN/MSVR circuit really series has announced its re-jigged calendar. Normally, of course, it takes place in the circuits “off-season” but many events were cancelled or postponed - they have just announced new dates at Snetterton, April 25; Oulton Park, Bank Holiday Monday 31 May and a double header at Anglesey on 3/4 July.
The May bank holiday at Oulton is the interesting one for me, wouldn’t that normally be one of the bigger race meetings?
Old 22 Mar 2021, 15:36 (Ref:4042237)   #241
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The word isn’t “professional”, Will, it is “elite”. Now, what the definition of “elite” is is another matter!
money talks. historic motorsport has been doing its best to become elitist for years.
Old 22 Mar 2021, 15:47 (Ref:4042240)   #242
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
money talks. historic motorsport has been doing its best to become elitist for years.
Fair, but disappointing, point!
Old 22 Mar 2021, 16:00 (Ref:4042247)   #243
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The May bank holiday at Oulton is the interesting one for me, wouldn’t that normally be one of the bigger race meetings?
Not really, based on the last couple of years. When we've had a very early Easter, British GT/F3 have occasionally raced on a May bank holiday (and Saturday), rather than Easter Saturday/Monday, but this is relatively rare (historically, things were rather different of course).

There are certainly no car meetings (of any sort) scheduled for that weekend this year.
Old 22 Mar 2021, 19:13 (Ref:4042288)   #244
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The picture for European racing look gloomy for near future with what is considered third wave..
It will probably be into May before we know what’s happening
BJ has announced they are concerned about new wave arriving in UK
Monaco going ahead with Alps Maritine now on lockdown?
It’s confusing for an old man like me!
Old 22 Mar 2021, 19:26 (Ref:4042289)   #245
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
It is confusing, John, no matter your nationality, age or gender! What you point about Monaco is the perfect example of the craziness of the situation.
May be you can enter a race somewhere and do it safely but WTF if you cant go to? Being dropped? Need a chopper then… From astronaut suits to racing ones? Sleep in your F1, hotels being closed? May be ACM will rent hotels concierges and voituriers to drive the F1s, while we are here. Well, while you are NOT here…
Old 23 Mar 2021, 09:03 (Ref:4042380)   #246
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Looking at today’s news it is going to be a push to justify any European trip for next six to eight weeks. Elite sportsman BS or not!
Race promotors should start making some solid decisions to allow us punters/customers to work out what we can do.
Understand their precarious position but most of us have agreed for them
to hold our entry fees until meetings are rearranged..
The pragmatists among us could think they will not postpone or cancel until all cash is in
What price Monaco Historics?
Old 23 Mar 2021, 09:09 (Ref:4042381)   #247
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sadly I think it will be longer than that. If a lock-down takes six months to work including vaccination of the populace (using the UK example), then the EU is unlikely to be free of this wave until August and then only if it ramps up vaccinations. Even Spa 6hrs is looking iffy on that timetable.
Old 23 Mar 2021, 10:50 (Ref:4042393)   #248
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Promotors should start making some solid decisions to allow us punters/customers to work out what we can do.
Understand their precarious position but most of us have agreed for them
to hold our entry fees until meetings are rearranged.
+ 1.
Old 23 Mar 2021, 11:02 (Ref:4042397)   #249
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Sadly I think it will be longer than that. If a lock-down takes six months to work including vaccination of the populace (using the UK example), then the EU is unlikely to be free of this wave until August and then only if it ramps up vaccinations. Even Spa 6hrs is looking iffy on that timetable.
Spot on, I'm afraid. Think we can basically right off 2021, certainly from a European travel for 'historics' point of view.

Last edited by gary396; 23 Mar 2021 at 11:03. Reason: typo
Old 23 Mar 2021, 12:36 (Ref:4042421)   #250
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
I see that Germany has extended its lockdown and considers that they are in a “very serious situation”.