Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jan 2021, 16:05 (Ref:4027201)   #126
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
I know what you mean . I have often watched films again & seen things I had not noticed before , but usually background items .
Buts these "Rings " ones seemed to have whole scenes , sometimes of minutes long , that I did not remember .
So I wondered if some of the ones I had seen before had been original shorter versions .
Just making a guess - but is it possible the version(s) you recall have different regional variations to pass censorship?

The final part of the Hobbit saw it's rating rise in the US when certain scenes were added to the DVD. And a watch of Terminator on broadcast in the UK seems a long way from the original film I recall...
Old 6 Jan 2021, 16:13 (Ref:4027203)   #127
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I will be sure to avoid you at all costs than Andy.
Mr Glassjaw.
You would be fine, Bauble, I think the last time (probably only time) I had a punch up of any sort I was in the playground about 45 years ago! A school bully had been picking on me for weeks and I was goaded into a scrap. I snapped and won! The teachers gave me a *******ing, and then whispered, “well done”!
Old 6 Jan 2021, 16:15 (Ref:4027204)   #128
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Just making a guess - but is it possible the version(s) you recall have different regional variations to pass censorship?

The final part of the Hobbit saw it's rating rise in the US when certain scenes were added to the DVD. And a watch of Terminator on broadcast in the UK seems a long way from the original film I recall...
An interesting point. If you watch a movie in the middle east or indeed Turkey, they cut out all that mucky kissing stuff. They do however keep all the bad language and blood etc.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 16:35 (Ref:4027211)   #129
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Talking about the fake effects in films reminds me of the scene in "gladiator" , where a Roman chariot over turns
There's a good reason to that, Romans used too stiff rear sway bars. Greeks were softer at rear, its my deduction after watching carefully pictures taken by a witness you can trust, bauble…
Old 6 Jan 2021, 16:36 (Ref:4027212)   #130
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Most likely the versions I saw were on TV ,so might have been cut to fit into a time slot .
Just had a read up and found that the films are actually not made in timeline order .
The "Rings " series are set a along time after the " Hobbit " series , but came out before .
A recommended viewing order seems to be ---- Fellowship , followed by the 3 Hobbit ones , then 2 towers followed by return of the King .

Confusing innit?

Have now realised I am less than halfway through the whole lot .
Old 6 Jan 2021, 16:40 (Ref:4027213)   #131
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
There's a good reason to that, Romans used too stiff rear sway bars. Greeks were softer at rear, its my deduction after watching carefully pictures taken by a witness you can trust, bauble…
So according to your expert witness ???? , which ones had the compressed air cylinder fitted undernearth.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 16:46 (Ref:4027215)   #132
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
A recommended viewing order seems to be ---- Fellowship , followed by the 3 Hobbit ones , then 2 towers followed by return of the King .

Confusing innit?
That's an interesting order - do you know why they suggest sticking the Hobbit after Fellowship but before Towers? The story chronologically runs from the Hobbit trilogy through the LoTR trilogy. Although the setup for the Hobbit trilogy has Bilbo telling the story after the event so it can make sense second.

In a strange twist of fate, I understand that:
The original book 'The Hobbit' was so successful that the publishers demanded a sequel, and so LoTR was written.
In the movie world, the LoTR films were so popular, the studios demanded the prequel be adapted for film.....
Old 6 Jan 2021, 16:57 (Ref:4027218)   #133
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Want an Alfa typo 184 but have only an old MX5 and some pocket money? Art Anstead might help: https://www.20minutes.fr/economie/au...ref=obinsource
Old 6 Jan 2021, 16:59 (Ref:4027220)   #134
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Which ones had the compressed air cylinder fitted undernearth.
Have to look at the actors eyes first…
Old 6 Jan 2021, 17:03 (Ref:4027221)   #135
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
That's an interesting order - do you know why they suggest sticking the Hobbit after Fellowship but before Towers? The story chronologically runs from the Hobbit trilogy through the LoTR trilogy. Although the setup for the Hobbit trilogy has Bilbo telling the story after the event so it can make sense second.

The original book 'The Hobbit' was so successful that the publishers demanded a sequel, and so LoTR was written.
In the movie world, the LoTR films were so popular, the studios demanded the prequel be adapted for film.....
I read this up on the films ,https://mymoviesin.com/the-lord-of-t...vies-in-order/
And it does seem to make sense given the storyline .

But I only mentioned these films originally because I was impressed by the scenes, storylines & even the computer graphics compared to a lot of the poor quality of the stunts & other stuff in films nowadays .
Old 6 Jan 2021, 17:45 (Ref:4027227)   #136
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Interesting stunts are the real ones, imo. Its the majority I think. I dont much care to spot a ROPS inside a car or a missing engine when I see that a human took risks.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 17:48 (Ref:4027228)   #137
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I read this up on the films ,https://mymoviesin.com/the-lord-of-t...vies-in-order/
And it does seem to make sense given the storyline .

But I only mentioned these films originally because I was impressed by the scenes, storylines & even the computer graphics compared to a lot of the poor quality of the stunts & other stuff in films nowadays .
Old 6 Jan 2021, 18:16 (Ref:4027241)   #138
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Always impressed by the number of stunts they make in a single episode of Die Autobahnpolizei said Alerte Cobra in France. I say the number…
Old 6 Jan 2021, 18:34 (Ref:4027249)   #139
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

To be fair, Two towers is an extraordinarily turgid volume even in written form, it's no wonder it's pushed towards the end.

As for making so many films out of the slim volume that was The Hobbit - well, talk about padding!
Old 6 Jan 2021, 18:41 (Ref:4027252)   #140
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I recall back in the late 60s sitting in a young lady's bedroom with a bunch of other people, writing letters to people in runes (these appear on the covers to the Hobbit books). Actually the memory is a bit foggy due to the funny smelling smoke. Strangely none of the letters arrived at their addressed recipients. There was also a case of witchcraft widely reported. Some wag had climbed up an old chimney and aced a banner saying "Aldershot for the cup" in runes.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 19:54 (Ref:4027272)   #141
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Most likely the versions I saw were on TV ,so might have been cut to fit into a time slot .
Just had a read up and found that the films are actually not made in timeline order .
The "Rings " series are set a along time after the " Hobbit " series , but came out before .

Confusing innit?

Have now realised I am less than halfway through the whole lot .
Just got through another hour of " Return " , and realised that the onscreen time is listed at 4 hrs 23 and not the 3Hrs 21 quoted . So perhaps the versions I am watching have lots of extra bits added .
Old 6 Jan 2021, 20:46 (Ref:4027283)   #142
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Just got through another hour of " Return " , and realised that the onscreen time is listed at 4 hrs 23 and not the 3Hrs 21 quoted . So perhaps the versions I am watching have lots of extra bits added .
Lockdown certainly has some strange effects on some people.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 21:35 (Ref:4027291)   #143
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bloody hell!

I thought I'd come to the motorsport forum, but it seems I've stumbled into 'Filmweek'!

Anyone seen Barry Norman? Or is it now Claudia wossername?
Old 6 Jan 2021, 22:50 (Ref:4027309)   #144
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Bloody hell!

I thought I'd come to the motorsport forum, but it seems I've stumbled into 'Filmweek'!

Anyone seen Barry Norman? Or is it now Claudia wossername?
See post above.
Old 6 Jan 2021, 23:02 (Ref:4027310)   #145
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Always impressed by the number of stunts they make in a single episode of Die Autobahnpolizei said Alerte Cobra in France. I say the number…
I always watch Cobra on my Spanish TV and I think I've seen almost all of the episodes over the years. The only problem is that my (non existent) German isn't exactly the best and the alternate Spanish that is dubbed on isn't as interesting (according to my other half)
I wonder why they don't do an English language version?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Jan 2021, 01:10 (Ref:4027322)   #146
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Want an Alfa typo 184 but have only an old MX5 and some pocket money? Art Anstead might help: https://www.20minutes.fr/economie/au...ref=obinsource

If your French is a little rusty this might help:

https://tipo184.com/

Old 7 Jan 2021, 05:26 (Ref:4027343)   #147
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Yes,Gérard,I wonder if the producers brother has a scrapyard😅
Old 7 Jan 2021, 06:23 (Ref:4027344)   #148
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I wonder why they don't do an English language version?
For the stunts you need subtitles?
Well, if I can help:
Grey car: Eeeeeee, zip, groop, broap, zip, paf… boom! Tching!
Black car: vroap, vroap, vroooooap, wiiiiizzz, vroap, paf, boom! Tchong!
In the meanwhile, the truck: geudeum, geudeum, geudeum; geudeum, tchit-tchit-tchit, geudeum…

@Terry: exactly! After ten years of episodes, seems they're running out of stock of dreier serie, we now see some Benz other than the Polizei ones. Can you translate "dreier" für deine Freund, Gordon, bitte? Danke!

See that, Richard, not only my french is rusty but my german too. The way France go, I'd better die now or re-learn german…
Old 7 Jan 2021, 06:55 (Ref:4027347)   #149
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Sorry, Gordon, I'm unforgivable, forgot the mandatory Polizei wagen, in other words the future wreck driven by the fookin cops!
The Polizei Benz: piiin-poon, piiiiin--poooon, piiiiiiiin------poooooon, (running out of juice cose the battery is dying said the script girl), the last is
piiiiiiiiiiiiiiin-----------------pooooooooooon! Poof!

Note that in french pin-pon is the official sound of polizei cars while pon-pin is the firemen trucks one's. In english? No idea! Why does this sound matters and is important to identify? Hé bien, essayez donc de courir avec le feu au cul et vous verrez ce qui est réellement important!
Old 7 Jan 2021, 12:10 (Ref:4027402)   #150
Tel 911S
Veteran

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.file...1/image-23.png
One for Gordon . I believe he said he was stuck in Kent . Which is probably lucky as Spain is having record low temperatures .
I realise it is in the mountains , but -34 C is still VERY cold .
Closed Thread