Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 26 May 2001, 16:14 (Ref:96926)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Greg Moore would have been a NASCAR driver

Someone on another bulletin board posted that in the lastest Speedway Illustrated magazine, Rusty Wallace said that Greg Moore was going to run for Roger Penske in CART 2000, then run in NASCAR in the car that Ryan Newman is currently racing this year and then full time in 2002. What a shame all the way around. Not only for his tragic death but he would have been the first major Canadian stock car star that the sport needs.
Old 26 May 2001, 16:23 (Ref:96928)   #2
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not so sure about that. I think that Greg had his sights set on F1. But, no matter where he would have ended up it's such a shame that we have been deprived from such a talented driver and a nice person .
Old 27 May 2001, 12:22 (Ref:97224)   #3
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Raoul, I do remember reading an article in 1999 where Greg said that he enjoyed his Daytona IROC experience, saying something along the lines that it opened his eyes to a whole new world. He went on to say that he was would be entertain offers to drive in NASCAR. At the time, I thought he was just posturing for a better contract in CART since he was in the last year of his contract at Forsythe. Rusty Wallace races for Roger Penske and I would suspect that his inside info would be correct.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 27 May 2001 at 12:24.
Old 28 May 2001, 19:15 (Ref:97952)   #4
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joe,

Your a little off there. Back in 1975, I believe, Canadian driver Earl Ross drive for none other than Junior Johnson in the Grand National (now Winston Cup) Division. He was a team mate to Cale Yarborough, and won a race at North Wilkesboro. Moore would not have been the first Canadian driver in NASCAR. There have been several throughout the years, although the only other one who's name I can remember at the moment is Trevor Boys.

This is a rare occasion where I will disagree with you. I do not believe that Greg Moore would have had anymore in NASCAR than Scott Pruett, Robby Gordon, or any of the other cart drivers that have tried! The reason is simple, zero experience in a stock car, never driven on a track less than a mile in length, road-racing/open-wheel, indy-type car background, which has proven time and again to be the absolute worst type of background for stock car racing! He would have been as completely out of his element as any of the above mentioned drivers. These cart drivers should be required to drive in one of the NASCAR touring series, All-Pro, Southwest, Northwest, or ReMaxx for a minimum of one year, according to how well they adapt to stock cars, then a minimum of one year in either the Craftsman Truck or Busch Grand National Series. Then, and ONLY then, if they have proven that they can drive a stock car, should be allowed to compete in the Winston Cup Series.

Moore's death was certinally tragic, as is any driver's death. From everything I heard, he was a great open-wheel driver, but that means little too nothing with regards to stock cars.