Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 31 Mar 2001, 10:02 (Ref:75667)   #1
jamesnj
Rookie

jamesnj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a big difference in guys driving styles from country to country? For example are there big differences in the way a South African, French, USA, or Finnish rally driver would drive? If so, what are some of the differences you notice from nationality to nationality? I'd like some examples as well if you have any.

Thanks
Old 31 Mar 2001, 14:53 (Ref:75729)   #2
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly I can't answer to that one, but I think a difference in drving style could mostly have to do with the different grounds the roads have. An italian driver or a french one usually is good when there's asphalt, whereas the sweden rallye is always to be won by a scndinavian driver for they are more used to that kind of snowy, icy tracks.
But I'd be interested too if some of the others have noticed any big difference in driving style from nationality to nationylity...and not only for the diffferent grounds and mentalities.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 10:52 (Ref:75980)   #3
thompson_fan
Racer

thompson_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I notice that the Australian Rally drivers always do well in the Rally Australia, but are always beat by the regulars like Makinen and Burns.
Old 2 Apr 2001, 12:00 (Ref:76511)   #4
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
t_fan, that is typical of any racing in any country.

If you watch the superbikes, the US wildcards do better in the US, Japanese in Japan, etc. Rallying is no different. The Argentinian locals do best in Argentina, etc.

The difference is that Australia has probably the most competitive national championship outside of Europe and is therefore a lot more noticable that they are doing well.
Old 3 Apr 2001, 19:54 (Ref:77043)   #5
JoMiSaP
Rookie

JoMiSaP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me clearly the Finns are the ones with the best conditions to become world class drivers, simply because in their contry more than half the year the conditions for driving are awful.
The average Finn driver is a better driver than anyone from another country.
Old 4 Apr 2001, 16:27 (Ref:77344)   #6
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never been to Finland...but considering how small the population of that country is and how many great world class drivers they have and had eve if there isn't a great series whee they all could grow up...well...yes...they must have some advantage other people don't have...lol.
Old 6 Apr 2001, 13:21 (Ref:78083)   #7
Zep
Rookie

Zep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a Finn, I think Finnish Rally Chanpionship is VERY under rated. There's about 10 WRC's and more than 15 Mitsubishi Lancer's in group N. Marko Ipatti (current British Champ) wasn't a big star here and Grönholm didn't take Finnish Championships by cruising. So we have good championship also...