Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jun 2003, 17:35 (Ref:618085)   #1
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Boredom" of Monaco - is it the track, or the drivers/teams?

It's not lack of overtaking in Monacio that I missed. It's ATTEMPTING to overtake. Everybody says it's impossible to overtake in Monaco. It sure is - if you don't try.
What is it nowdays with drivers? Years ago we had overtaking in Monaco. Senna used to do it. Olivier Panis did it few times during that famous 'lucky&undeserved' win in '96. There is more...
What about today?
Kimi openly said he would try to overtake Montoya - if they were on some other track. TGF never tried to pass Trulli.
So, what is it? Are we witnessing 'italian football' (we mustn't receive a goal, and if we score one, even better) in F1? Is playing safe, when in points, better than risking a bit for more points? Does it mean we will never again see a battle for 1st place? After all, it's 'only' two points more than coming second, but 'lot more' than DNF IF SOMETHING HAPPENS?
Is that todays logic of teams&drivers?
Old 2 Jun 2003, 17:39 (Ref:618089)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You actually thought that race was boring! Come on, if overtaking is all you watch motorsport for why not go down your local Kart centre.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 17:40 (Ref:618090)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Re: "Boredom" of Monaco - is it the track, or the drivers/teams?

Quote:
Originally posted by ljakse
Is playing safe, when in points, better than risking a bit for more points? Does it mean we will never again see a battle for 1st place? After all, it's 'only' two points more than coming second, but 'lot more' than DNF IF SOMETHING HAPPENS?
Is that todays logic of teams&drivers?
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. They feel loathe to try to overtake because they'll be kicking themselves if they make a mistake and go off. Especially at a track like Monaco where it's better to play it safe and get the points.

Hopefully they won't do that at every race - if Raikkonen said that he would have tried to pass on another track, best for now to take his word for it and see what happens next time he (or another driver, for that matter) is in that position.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 2 Jun 2003, 17:42 (Ref:618092)   #4
Muppet
Racer

Muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ITV commentary was awful. Did they all have hangovers from a big booze up night before?

ITV should sack that gormless twit James Allen. Get someone in who knows what they're doing. IMO
Old 2 Jun 2003, 17:45 (Ref:618095)   #5
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
History shows that overtaking is impossible when the frontrunner won't give a little way. Or did you suppose Bernoldi kept DC behind him on pure driver merit? And DC was certainly attempting.

Attempting without a serious chance of succes is brainless driving. Besides an unsuccesful overtakingattempt tends to costs seconds in return.

So...its the track.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 17:55 (Ref:618110)   #6
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
You actually thought that race was boring! Come on, if overtaking is all you watch motorsport for why not go down your local Kart centre.
Maybe you missed quotaion signs on boredom?

Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
History shows that overtaking is impossible when the frontrunner won't give a little way. Or did you suppose Bernoldi kept DC behind him on pure driver merit? And DC was certainly attempting.
Coulthard sure did try, and that was one of his rare actions that I appriciated.

Quote:

Attempting without a serious chance of succes is brainless driving. Besides an unsuccesful overtakingattempt tends to costs seconds in return.

So...its the track.
And how exactly do you get a chance? By not attempting? By driving full second behind frontrunner and waiting for him to spin on the track to give you enough time to 1.close up the gap and 2. overtake him?
They were mostly waiting for the ones ahead to make mistake, and nobody tried to force them to.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 17:58 (Ref:618114)   #7
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

just try to accept that in normal circumstances, overtaking is a no-go at Monaco. It's just not going to happen. That makes Mansells move on Prost during the 1991 GP that much more amazing.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 17:59 (Ref:618117)   #8
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Plus, I really suspect that tucking up behind a rearwing is not about attempting an overtaking manoeuvre, its about maintaining and increasing pressure in order to lure the specific frontrunner into a mistake.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 18:04 (Ref:618125)   #9
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Quote:
Plus, I really suspect that tucking up behind a rearwing is not about attempting an overtaking manoeuvre, its about maintaining and increasing pressure in order to lure the specific frontrunner into a mistake.
That's exactly my point too - but you can't just sit back and wait for the guy in front to make mistake. You MUST pressure him to do it. Otherwise, why would he make a mistake? It's an easy ride when nobody is pressuring from behind.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 18:24 (Ref:618149)   #10
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Basically Monaco is an outdated circuit and only remains on the calendar because of tradition/history/whatever. Also another place for 'celebrities' to be 'seen' at, and for free as well...
Old 2 Jun 2003, 18:51 (Ref:618192)   #11
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm with Damon. I thought that the Monaco GP was a great race - no, there wasn't any overtaking, but that doesn't mean that it was boring.

And if you'd ever been to the race there, you'd want it to stay on the calendar too.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 19:23 (Ref:618255)   #12
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Montoya try to overtake Ralf after the safety car? He closed right up on Ralf and had a quick look into the first corner but couldn't do it. He didn't overtake, but at least he tried to.

Hopefully if Montoya and Raikkonen find themselves in 1st and 2nd and close together, we should see Raikkonen have a go at Montoya. On any other track except Monaco, that's what would have happened.

I think Schumacher had a couple of gos at overtaking Coulthard in last year's race in the closing laps, but I'm not sure. But I really don't think he let Coulthard win because of Austria
Old 2 Jun 2003, 20:07 (Ref:618309)   #13
Bob Irvine
Racer

Bob Irvine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cmon guys.your saying it wasnt boring,with no overtaking ,what exactly was exciting about it then,the usual procession? The pit stop strategy?zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 2 Jun 2003, 20:20 (Ref:618333)   #14
ttc
Racer

ttc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact that MS/Ferrari didn't win...

Remember the definition for a BORING race is if MS/Ferrari wins. No matter how much overtaking/activities happened behind MS/Ferrari win, it's AUTOMATICALLY a BORING RACE.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 23:22 (Ref:618547)   #15
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The F1 race was OK, nothing really special, nothing really bad. Seeing Montry win was great, and there where some good moments, nothing wonderful.

Now the F3000 race on the other hand! WOW! That was a race indeed! Crashes, drama, bad overtaking moves, crashes, bad overtaking moves, crashes, and one of the wierdest finishes in some time! They even crashed after the race going to park there cars by the podium!
Old 2 Jun 2003, 23:37 (Ref:618561)   #16
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why try to overtake when you can pass the other guy on fuel strategy?
Old 3 Jun 2003, 01:00 (Ref:618622)   #17
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If you forget about who won for a moment & just judged the race purely on how many passes & crashes there were, it would be the most uneventful & dullest race in the history of F1.

But add in the drama of 2 guys going for their 2nd win, their first at Monaco where everyone wants to win, the closeness of the championship, the excitement, the glam, the buzz, the history etc, is what makes the race great.

It's contrast to all the other races also makes it unique...
You say the race is dull?
How dull would it be without it???
Every other track more or less the same....

That's why I miss the old Hockenheim so much
Old 3 Jun 2003, 01:20 (Ref:618633)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
History shows that overtaking is impossible when the frontrunner won't give a little way.
NGE, not entirely impossible...witness Mansell on Prost exiting the tunnel in 1991, however, i concur, it is bloody hard and maybe too much of a risk to try.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 01:58 (Ref:618657)   #19
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In todays' F1 everybody plays safety first. Plus the cars prohibit overtaking. And it's nearly impossible to do it IN THE DRY.

But I didn't think the race was that boring. It was a tense race, seeing if anyone would screw up and throw away a win/podium.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 02:51 (Ref:618684)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The track makes it utterly impossible.

Now if you want to talk OTHER tracks, yes F1 cars themselves are part of the problem. Track layout elsewhere is a big problem too.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 03:01 (Ref:618689)   #21
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Would you rather watch F1 cars race at Monaco or Spa?..I rest my case.......
Old 3 Jun 2003, 06:53 (Ref:618823)   #22
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing, strategy, and passing should be done on the track, not in the pits.

Monaco....*yawn
Old 3 Jun 2003, 09:29 (Ref:618932)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Its the cars.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 10:01 (Ref:618958)   #24
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sorry, but you can pass at Monaco just as easily as you can at Hungary or San Marino. Don't believe me? Look at the stats of overtaking from any of the last few years, Monaco comes out on top of some of the others. At least in the principality you can try and force a mistake. And there are half chances at overtaking at Turn 1, Loewes, towards the Chicane, and even a quarter chance on the run downhill to the right hander that proceeds the hairpin.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 10:36 (Ref:618985)   #25
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, they could pull Monaco off the calander and I could care less. Just replace it with a wider street circuit and I'd be happy, or maybe even a mountain road styled circuit (Pfft, yeah right).

Regardless, the track and cars contribute. Monaco is hot on circuit for starts, getting close requires loss of downforce and on a tight twisty circuit with a lot of armcos this is bad.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.