Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 17 Jun 2004, 04:19 (Ref:1006437)   #1
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who will win at Portland

Amamzing how quickly two weeks role on by, but its time for another installment and I cant wait.
So who do we think will put on the ultimate show and steal the chequered flag come Sunday afternoon.
I'm putting my house on Paul Tarcy to come back to the fore after a disappointing two races. Closely followed home by Sebastian Bourdai.

However I'd love to see RHR make it two in a row, however sadly I do see it very hard for hime to do so.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 05:52 (Ref:1006468)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm finding it difficult, if not impossible, to predict winners these days. Just a few seasons ago, my friends were amazed as I successfully predicted both the polewinner and the racewinner for 4 consecutive events.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 09:28 (Ref:1006614)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lets hope Sebastian Bourdais has got his brain with him this weekend and found some humility.

Both were sadly lacking from him at Le Mans.

I'm tipping him for the Portland win, though.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 11:48 (Ref:1006780)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it'll be Bourdais as well, although I doubt it'll be easy. Paul, Bruno, Ryan and Mario can't be ruled out either.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 13:12 (Ref:1006908)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PT will return to form and win. That's my tip.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 13:58 (Ref:1006955)   #6
BarryCrocker
Rookie

BarryCrocker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Tracy will walk it!!!
Old 17 Jun 2004, 14:18 (Ref:1006989)   #7
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Cowboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion Jimmy Vasser is way way over due. Even though the likelyhood of him takin the checkered at Portland, it would be great to see.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 14:21 (Ref:1006992)   #8
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SeaBass I would think their are a few optimists predicting PT - just one question, has he won at PIR in the past?
Old 17 Jun 2004, 15:15 (Ref:1007056)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Lets hope Sebastian Bourdais has got his brain with him this weekend and found some humility.

Both were sadly lacking from him at Le Mans.

I'm tipping him for the Portland win, though.

Or at least let's hope Sebastian has been given a serious dose of reality when it comes to "proper racing ettiquette"...and a lot of maturity over the past 5 days...

As far as I'm concerned, until he issues a public apology to Martin Short & RollCentre, and admits that his actions were wrong and irresponsible, I will NEVER pick him to do well or support his racing efforts as a race fan...

His actions at Le Mnas were irresponsible and inexcusable....and his reasons for doing it (initially) followed by his denial of it when Mr. Short contacted him...is outrageous...

I hope he finished LAST e=in every race he runs from now on....and I wouldn't root for him if he was the only competitior on the track...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Jun 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1007067)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What disappoints me even more is that Sebastian is someone I'd never have expected this from.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1007081)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
What disappoints me even more is that Sebastian is someone I'd never have expected this from.
Same here, kicking-back...he seemed to be the LAST person to do it from what I've seen of him and heard from him in other interviews...

I was shocked when he purposely punted Short (even though he was nearly 7 laps behind him...it wasn't a race for position, and he was nowhere close to being in position to pass him) and caused damage that later led directly to Short's horrific crash....

I was stunned as a listented to his interview following the incident at Le Mans....

Old 17 Jun 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1007086)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

A sad episode, indeed.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1007087)   #13
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Servia
Old 17 Jun 2004, 15:59 (Ref:1007105)   #14
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, I hadn't heard anything about Le Mans, I was out of town racing, and my TiVo didn't have near enough room to record 21.5 hours of coverage. Can somebody give a good recap of what exactly happened, and what exactly he said afterwards? I realize its EXACTLY Champcar news, but it is related to one of our drivers.

Last edited by jjspierx; 17 Jun 2004 at 16:00.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 16:08 (Ref:1007114)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Have a look at the sportscar forum, Martin Short himself has been posting in there.

Very good insight.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 16:16 (Ref:1007119)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by jjspierx
Wow, I hadn't heard anything about Le Mans, I was out of town racing, and my TiVo didn't have near enough room to record 21.5 hours of coverage. Can somebody give a good recap of what exactly happened, and what exactly he said afterwards? I realize its EXACTLY Champcar news, but it is related to one of our drivers.

It is well-covered in the Sportscar & GT forum...

The Thread is titled "What Happened to RollCentre?"...started out as an innocent question asked by a guy who fell asleep when RollCentre was in 4th place, but was out of the race when he woke up....

The thread is STILL going on 5 days later...and not only was the driver he it quoted in there, but people who are in racing, people who cover racing for "Dailysportscar.com", etc...also weighed in on the incident...BIG TIME...

It is interesting reading...

Old 18 Jun 2004, 04:48 (Ref:1007547)   #17
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tagliani. Why not? He's due, and has been fast at Portland. He's been fast most of this year, with some bad luck keeping him off the podium...

Bourdais sounds like a good bet too.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 19:23 (Ref:1008190)   #18
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PT will rebound with a win in Portland. Btw, I watched most of the 24Hrs of LeMans and I saw the incident between Sebastien and the other car......are you guys telling me that Bourdais did it on purpose and does anybody have a link to an article re: it?!
Old 18 Jun 2004, 19:41 (Ref:1008209)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
PT will rebound with a win in Portland. Btw, I watched most of the 24Hrs of LeMans and I saw the incident between Sebastien and the other car......are you guys telling me that Bourdais did it on purpose and does anybody have a link to an article re: it?!
Bourdais himself implied that he did it to get the RollCentre Dallara out of the way on a live TV interview during SpeedChannel's coverage of the 24 hrs of Le Mans....

and based on his interview quotes, that's when Derek daly launched into a 2 minute speech refuting every one of the points Bourdais made in his interview to point out how wrong he was for doing it...

Bob Varsha and david Hobbs immediately chimed in with their agreement with Daly that it was not a good move, and even worse since Bourdais purposely did it...

and Bourdais did it even though he was a number of laps down to that car and it was not a race for position at that time....he was at least 5 laps down...or 40 miles behind him...

What is even sadder is that Short was aware that Bourdais was behind him and was actually going to let him make the pass once they got past the Dunlop Curves where the contact took place....the Dunlop Curves are not a good place to pass at LM...but beyond them is Tetre Rouge and the Mulsanne Straight....

Furthrmore, Short called him to talk to him a couple of days later and not only did Bourdais not accept responsibility or apologize, but Bourdais denied even hitting him!!!! Sorry, but TV video doesn't lie...he hit him and hit him hard....no mistake about it!!!

There are various articles, accounts, etc., posted or linked in the "What Happened to RollCentre" thread over in the Sportscars & GT Forum....

Hell, I liked Bourdais until this whole thing came down last weekend...

Now I think he's a jerk!

I'll let you read for yourself....but there are a hell of a lot of sportscar people, and three announcers at the event for SpeedChannel who agree with me...

Old 18 Jun 2004, 19:42 (Ref:1008212)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
I'm finding it difficult, if not impossible, to predict winners these days. Just a few seasons ago, my friends were amazed as I successfully predicted both the polewinner and the racewinner for 4 consecutive events.
Guessing CDM in 2002 or JPM in '99 was a pretty sure bet.

PT really has to get his act together. If he's going to win this thing he's got to REALLY kick some butt to make up for the lousy point system.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 19:48 (Ref:1008221)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I'm not a betting man, but if I were, my money would be on PT or Tagliani....

But I'll be rooting for Justin Wilson....

He did OWRS proud last weekend at Le Mans....he was fast and clean....

He drove one of the "Racing for Holland" Domes and was in the hunt until they had major problesm late in the race...

He teamed with another "possible" OWRS driver -- Firman....and both did well...

Old 18 Jun 2004, 20:24 (Ref:1008253)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You guys who said Tagliani and Wilson could be right - both ahve as good a chance of winning here as anywhere. Justin's Le Mans effort was indeed superb and well-behaved.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 20:29 (Ref:1008262)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
The first time I've seen Justin Wilson in actual race conditions behind the wheel in person was at Sebring back in March

(I love watching ALMS as well....)

He was in that 4-year-old Lola B2K/10 (Judd-power) and was incredible the entire week!!!

The guy is very talented and very fast.....runs smooth lines and has good instincts....he's going to be in Victory Lane at some point before the season is over....

Old 18 Jun 2004, 22:05 (Ref:1008323)   #24
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Bourdais himself implied that he did it to get the RollCentre Dallara out of the way on a live TV interview during SpeedChannel's coverage of the 24 hrs of Le Mans....

and based on his interview quotes, that's when Derek daly launched into a 2 minute speech refuting every one of the points Bourdais made in his interview to point out how wrong he was for doing it...

Bob Varsha and david Hobbs immediately chimed in with their agreement with Daly that it was not a good move, and even worse since Bourdais purposely did it...

and Bourdais did it even though he was a number of laps down to that car and it was not a race for position at that time....he was at least 5 laps down...or 40 miles behind him...

What is even sadder is that Short was aware that Bourdais was behind him and was actually going to let him make the pass once they got past the Dunlop Curves where the contact took place....the Dunlop Curves are not a good place to pass at LM...but beyond them is Tetre Rouge and the Mulsanne Straight....

Furthrmore, Short called him to talk to him a couple of days later and not only did Bourdais not accept responsibility or apologize, but Bourdais denied even hitting him!!!! Sorry, but TV video doesn't lie...he hit him and hit him hard....no mistake about it!!!

There are various articles, accounts, etc., posted or linked in the "What Happened to RollCentre" thread over in the Sportscars & GT Forum....

Hell, I liked Bourdais until this whole thing came down last weekend...

Now I think he's a jerk!

I'll let you read for yourself....but there are a hell of a lot of sportscar people, and three announcers at the event for SpeedChannel who agree with me...
I have never been a fan of Bourdais nor have I ever had any ill feelings towards him, but after watching the incident on Speed and now having read the "What Happened to RollCentre" thread, I must say that I've lost alot of respect for him! Yes, he is young and he made a huge mistake trying to pass Mr. Short in the chicane, but his comments afterwards made him sound extremely arrogant. It's funny cuz he's never come across as being arrogant in the past.
Old 19 Jun 2004, 06:03 (Ref:1008488)   #25
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Dov, your comments echo mine exactly, save the fact that I was unable to see video of the shunt. During his pre-LeMans WindTunnel interview, he made note of how he was born and raised nary a stone's throw from the circuit, and how he longed to be able to race there. Think he'll ever race there again?