Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:46 (Ref:1038335)   #1
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PORTLAND Almost Gone ?!

This deserves a thread of its own - this really irks me?!

READ = http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...9808154950.xml - not all promises come true as expected...

Guess TG is going to win this one by default - don't forget: "OWRS is going INTERNATIONAL" next year ?!

zerO

Last edited by macdaddy; 16 Jul 2004 at 16:53.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:55 (Ref:1038340)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I find it interesting that Portland was entertaining the idea of running two races.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:57 (Ref:1038344)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Kevin Jeans Gail, Francesconi's chief of staff, on Thursday said the request for proposal -- essentially a questionnaire that outlines what potential benefits a race would bring to the city
This is kind of outrageous. After 20 years the City doesn't konw what the potential benefits are to the city?

Quote:
Portland's Champ Car race -- formerly sponsored by G.I. Joe's and other area companies -- is the state's largest sporting event, bringing an estimated $8 million to the local economy annually. It is televised in 120 countries.
It would seem they already know the benefits.. so why ask the question. hmmmm
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:41 (Ref:1038391)   #4
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
An RFP is a common request in the business world. It states what each entity will be responsible for, what level of services will be provided and the costs associated with those services.

There is more to a statement such as: "the event brings in $8 million." There are also factors to consider such as what is the outlay by the local government entities (OT for police/EMT/Fire,) costs for ancillary services, etc.

There was a study done recently here by Carnegie Mellon University that found that large sports franchises generally do not return a large $$ benefit as the costs associated with luring them (building stadia, etc) outweighs the revenue.

Now the Portland race is not in a venue provided by a local governmental entity so far as I know, but if to hold the event one is asking for services from the local government, it only makes sense to determine if revenue will exceed expenditures.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:44 (Ref:1038393)   #5
AllofaSutton
Rookie

AllofaSutton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the two races would be great. Especially since I am moving there next year. But it reads to me that OWRS doesn't want to fill out the paperwork to get it done. Do you think that the International thing takes presidence over the past. It would be a shame to lose Portland, always a good time and decent race.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:53 (Ref:1038400)   #6
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Portland. However, I think that OWRS negotiated in good faith while in Portland, and have decided to possibly let this financial drain become TG's albatross. It appears that they are going to have to focus and "sale" OWRS very diligently to Molson. That is their clear focus at this time. Portland has had their chance and decided to play disguised as politics. BTW, Peter Jacobson could have whatever he wants in that state IMO.

Cheers to the prospect of extending the contract with Molson for five more years.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:58 (Ref:1038403)   #7
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
AThere are also factors to consider such as what is the outlay by the local government entities (OT for police/EMT/Fire,) costs for ancillary services, etc.

Now the Portland race is not in a venue provided by a local governmental entity so far as I know, but if to hold the event one is asking for services from the local government, it only makes sense to determine if revenue will exceed expenditures.
Portland is one of the few race tracks that is not privately owned. It is owned and operated by the City of Portland.

http://www.portlandraceway.com/history.asp

Last edited by jjspierx; 16 Jul 2004 at 18:00.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:10 (Ref:1038422)   #8
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fear OWRS is making a big mistake on this one.

Quote:
"We love Portland and want to return there," Ramsberger said. "But it seems as though we're being dealt with unfairly. It's disheartening to know that we've developed this tradition and made this investment in Portland over the years, and now we're being asked to compete for a race in a bidding situation.
Technically OWRS is not CART, a succesor in interest yes, but they are not CART. CART is the entity that built the tradition. OWRS should not try to play both sides of the coin. In the case of CART's liabilities they say "we are not CART" it appears that when they see some leftover goodwill they are saying "we are CART".

The City of Portland is only being prudent in asking for a proposal from the competing entities. Its citizens should expect no less. I don't see this as "being dealt with unfairly". OWRS should just put together an RFP and submit it. They should remind the city of the goodwill that is left over from CART and also the additonal they have built with the city by putting up their own money to run this years event. I beleive that would play a significant part of OWRS being awarded the race.

I hope OWRS don't chose to walk away from Portland simply because they are being stubborn as the article suggests.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:31 (Ref:1038441)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I did not know that jjspierx! That is interesting. Then indeed I agree with Flatspot - an RFP is even more appropriate and the City getting the best return for the citizens. It means that the officials involved are providing the appropriate level of stewardship.

Past relationships with CART should indeed count for something, but the Amigos keep emphasizing the need to have a business plan. If a business plan is good for the Series than a business plan should also be good for the City.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 22:25 (Ref:1038643)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Considering the indecision over whether to even host an event in Portland this year, it's no wonder that this subject has come up again for next year's race.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 23:57 (Ref:1038701)   #11
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But didn't the Three Amigo's state that from now on, they're only taking the show to places where they are wanted...IE, places where they're paid to turn up....:confused:
Old 17 Jul 2004, 05:51 (Ref:1038804)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
You've hit the nail on the head, codename.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 06:39 (Ref:1038816)   #13
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Codename is right... I mean, if we wanted a series just based on tradition, then OWRS should be racing at venues like Mid-Ohio and Michigan Speedway. But it's all about money and solidifying the series right now. And if Portland is not a moneymaker, then it's time to part ways.

I hate to say that because I like PIR and always have, but there are some hard choices that have to be made in business, and this is it.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 07:22 (Ref:1038834)   #14
zerO
Veteran

...and that is why Portland, Denver, and "???" will not be on the schedule next year - instead we'll have Argentina, Brazil, and either Dubai,UAE or Doha,Qatar and two races in Europe ?! (I hope)

zerO
Old 17 Jul 2004, 07:25 (Ref:1038836)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Refer to the "2005 Schedule" thread, no need to go offtopic here.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 19:19 (Ref:1039157)   #16
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
I'm a little confused as to how we jumped to the conclusion that the City of Portland is not willing or able to pay a sanctioning fee or a reasonable facsimilie. That is what an RFP is for...to lay out the terms under which you are willing to bring your the race come to Portland. Are we all assuming that the IRL will ask for no sanctioning fee. Are we assuming that if a fee is paid by the city to the sanctioning body that there won't be enough revenue generation to pay it and make a profit. Are we assuming that the IRL has given the promotor, peter Jacobson Productions, an unfettered right to negotiate this on their behalf, I don't think so. I think we have also jumed to the conclusion that OWRS lost money racing there this year...maybe or maybe not.

OWRS could put together and RFP based on experience where they can put forth terms which make it an acceptable deal to them. I those parameters don't work for the city well then, OWRS doesn't have to race there but to just turn and walk away???????
Old 18 Jul 2004, 04:58 (Ref:1039414)   #17
zerO
Veteran

Well, looks like all bets are off: Champ Car withdrew their offer ?! = http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...6590142351.xml

IRL goes to Portland next year and we'll go globetrotting instead... hihihaha...

zerO
Old 18 Jul 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1039662)   #18
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it difficult to understand why OWRS would have such an ego when it comes to a bidding process. Ego's are what got us into this mess in the first place.

I imagine they were planning to drop it anyway, due to dwindling attendance, and they're just using this as an excuse...
Old 18 Jul 2004, 17:29 (Ref:1039696)   #19
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i don't think it's down to ego more like dollars a bidding war with yhe irl is the last thing owrs needs right now its unfortunte for portland its a shame that the irl can't get its own identy and choose its own unique venues when they go road racing if the crowds are down and there not as fast as cart there going to get shot down
Old 18 Jul 2004, 22:27 (Ref:1039933)   #20
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True enough, but I would still expect OWRS to put in a bid, if they had any intentions of keeping the race. I guess on that basis, ego isn't a factor.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 22:43 (Ref:1039947)   #21
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
To many of you, the Portland venue was just fine before and during the race. Now somehow it is not and it will actually be better if OWRS abandons one of it's more successful venues (attendance and length of time utilizing it) to go "international."

I watched my first start to finish IRL race (besides the 500) last night. If they put on the same show as far as passing for position goes at Portland then OWRS/CART will soon be for gotten there.

It is just dumb to pass on that venue.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 22:46 (Ref:1039951)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
The more I think about it - it is worde than dumb to abandon the inside track to lock that venue for three more years.

If there is a plan at OWRS I would love to hear/see it because if you are trying to rebuild your series this makes no sense.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 23:58 (Ref:1039981)   #23
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Cowboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you JohnSSC, I too would like to know more of their plans. This seems more of a step back rather than a step forward to building the series. It definatly doesn't make a whole bunch of sense.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 00:11 (Ref:1039984)   #24
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Even though I don't like the strategy I hope they are relying on the fact that they have, in essence, already submitted a proposal in the form of Eidswick's letter which stated that they would renew the existing arrangement for the next three years. Unless the IRL proposal is a really good one the City would be hard pressed to tell its citizens that they are accepting an inferior proposal because Form 4322-9 was not submitted in a proper fashion.

Does anyone really know if Peter Jacobson has been retained by the IRL to make a proposal on there behalf? Has Jacobson promoted any other of their races? I know he does golf events.

I see some wiggle room for OWRS but I don't like the play.

Last edited by Flatspot; 19 Jul 2004 at 00:12.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 03:04 (Ref:1040016)   #25
zerO
Veteran

All it comes down to is that OWRS have finally realized that doing another year at Portland would simply be a waste of time, money, and effort - ergo: axe the darn thing and move on to more profitable venues ?! - Das ist Alles ?!

zerO