Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Oct 2019, 12:00 (Ref:3931449)   #1
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
2015 title decider discussion (split from 2019!)

The whole field let Shedden win it when he was head-to-head against Plato for the title a few years back. It was a miracle akin the the parting of the red sea. Chickens coming home to roost etc.

Not sure that this time round any of the 3 or 4 drivers in contention will have such support from the grid over any of the others.

Can't wait. Whilst Turkington is obviously the favorite, I have a funny feeling that Cammish is going to do what Turkington did last year and win the title even though he has only stepped onto the top step of the podium once all year.

The lovely British autumn weather could also play a big part in this.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 12:21 (Ref:3931457)   #2
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
The whole field let Shedden win it when he was head-to-head against Plato for the title a few years back. It was a miracle akin the the parting of the red sea. Chickens coming home to roost etc.
When your best lap is only the 6th fastest in the field, yet you manage to make up 15 places, then you know miracles are happening.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 16:28 (Ref:3931514)   #3
FFSM
Rookie

FFSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Whatever anyone thinks of Jason Plato, that was one of the most embarrassing, shameful episodes of motorsport I've witnessed.

Turned what should have been a super final race of the Championship into a complete farce.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 17:47 (Ref:3931528)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Shedden had half the field supporting him. Jason couldn't even get his team mates to support him. Say what you want, but that's the difference between making enemies and making friends. Make a career out of punting drivers and then surprised when nobody wants to help you.

BTCC has thrown competition yellows, has let drivers cause accidents on purpose, and pulls bingo balls out of a tub with special guests to decide grids. Anyone who thinks drivers helping one-another is embarrassing may have lost focus on what BTCC has become. It's a giant parody of itself.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 17:50 (Ref:3931529)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFSM View Post
Whatever anyone thinks of Jason Plato, that was one of the most embarrassing, shameful episodes of motorsport I've witnessed.

Turned what should have been a super final race of the Championship into a complete farce.
I agree i was there and it turned me into a Plato fan, as i hate what appeared to be people ganging up to depriving the fans of seeing real competition. but i understand others might disagree
Old 2 Oct 2019, 18:36 (Ref:3931550)   #6
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I agree i was there and it turned me into a Plato fan, as i hate what appeared to be people ganging up to depriving the fans of seeing real competition. but i understand others might disagree
so if other drivers want to stick it to him for multiple justified reasons it's now all a farce ?

part of being a really good driver is not to upset most of the grid with various **** like that cos it comes back to bite you
Old 2 Oct 2019, 18:48 (Ref:3931556)   #7
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Part of being a really good driver is also not letting personal feelings get in the way of a professional job. I though the whole thing was disgusting personally with drivers behaving like it was a clique ridden club series. I became a fan of Goff after that as he was pretty much the only driver who put up a fight.

On a similar note I always hate the way Gow tells the drivers not to get involved with the championship leaders on track in the final meeting. That makes no sense at all to me.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 19:22 (Ref:3931565)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
Part of being a really good driver is also not letting personal feelings get in the way of a professional job.
How do you feel about Senna taking out Prost? Would you say Senna was not a 'really good driver' as a result of his actions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
I though the whole thing was disgusting
I thought it a rather poetic form of justice - when people are prepared to sacrifice their own results just so a particular individual doesn't win I think it says more about that driver than the others. If it was only one or two drivers getting out of the way it's one thing, but when half the grid does it then that sends a message pretty loud and clear. I'd class Plato's many 'push to pass' moves as more 'disgusting' than drivers moving out of the way to ensure he doesn't win to be honest. From what I recall of being at that meeting most people near me were rather pleased at what was happening.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3931566)   #9
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Exactly. You're on a track. In a race. You do not let the bloke behind pass you (unless he's your team mate).

It sucked and de-valued Sheddens championship to zero.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 19:43 (Ref:3931571)   #10
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

I thought it a rather poetic form of justice - when people are prepared to sacrifice their own results just so a particular individual doesn't win I think it says more about that driver than the others. If it was only one or two drivers getting out of the way it's one thing, but when half the grid does it then that sends a message pretty loud and clear. I'd class Plato's many 'push to pass' moves as more 'disgusting' than drivers moving out of the way to ensure he doesn't win to be honest. From what I recall of being at that meeting most people near me were rather pleased at what was happening.
if I remember it also was from a grid interview where he really critisized Colin Turkington for not supporting him despite the fact that Turks was in with real chance to win the title himself, think it was after race 1 where Turks finished 4th and plato 5th and Turks didn't give the place to him

actually in the indy standings Turks did finish ahead of Plato and was his 3rd Indy title

Last edited by porsche962fan; 2 Oct 2019 at 19:55.
Old 3 Oct 2019, 10:30 (Ref:3931652)   #11
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was the worst thing I'd ever seen all my life of watching motorsport.

No matter where you are on the grid and what place you're fighting for, as a driver in round 1, round 11, round 15 or whatever you fight as hard as you can, to the best of your ability to look after your own race and your own results. Why should it be any different in round 30?

The situation with Turkington and Plato was a tricky one. Turkington was still mathematically in with a chance of winning the title, but it was considerably less likely than Plato, so you can see both viewpoints on that one.
Old 3 Oct 2019, 10:42 (Ref:3931655)   #12
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
That suggests you haven't seen much motorsport. To me watching Plato deliberately punt drivers off is worse. I saw every getting of of Sheddens way very much a case of "you reap what you sow" for Plato.

Quote:
No matter where you are on the grid and what place you're fighting for, as a driver in round 1, round 11, round 15 or whatever you fight as hard as you can, to the best of your ability to look after your own race and your own results. Why should it be any different in round 30?
That approach rules out any form of team orders / tactics - where do you stand on teams asking drivers to swap positions? Is that the second worst thing you've ever seen in motorsport?

Quote:
The situation with Turkington and Plato was a tricky one. Turkington was still mathematically in with a chance of winning the title, but it was considerably less likely than Plato, so you can see both viewpoints on that one.
According to your own view on this it's clearcut - why should Turkington have let Plato past? To do so would have been one of the worst things you've ever seen in motorsport
Old 3 Oct 2019, 10:44 (Ref:3931656)   #13
FFSM
Rookie

Quote:
How do you feel about Senna taking out Prost? Would you say Senna was not a 'really good driver' as a result of his actions?

Senna vs Prost was a huge grudge match between two drivers, fuelled by resentment held by Senna (rightly or wrongly) at the perceived favouritism from Balestre. This was nothing like that.

Plato is no worse than anyone else on the grid with some of the moves he pulls, which suggests that the situation that arose was much more about his personality off-track.

At this level, these guys should be able to leave their personality issues in the garage once they get on the grid. It should never affect the result of a race, let alone decide a title - and certainly not in such a visible way.

It said a lot more about them than it did about Plato (or Shedden).
Old 3 Oct 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3931663)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Senna vs Prost was a huge grudge match between two drivers, fuelled by resentment held by Senna (rightly or wrongly) at the perceived favouritism from Balestre. This was nothing like that.
This was a grudge match between Plato and half the grid

Quote:
Plato is no worse than anyone else on the grid with some of the moves he pulls,
I'd very much disagree with that - don't get me wrong there are certainly other drivers that aren't averse to the occasional 'push to pass' but Plato is a very consistent offender - and you know it's coming (prime example being shovelling Turkington off at Paddock - a couple of laps of failed moves followed by a punt).

Quote:
which suggests that the situation that arose was much more about his personality off-track.

At this level, these guys should be able to leave their personality issues in the garage once they get on the grid. It should never affect the result of a race, let alone decide a title - and certainly not in such a visible way.

It said a lot more about them than it did about Plato (or Shedden).
If they can't do it in formula 1 'the pinnacle of motorsport' (see Senna vs Prost) then why would they be able to do that in the BTCC? To me the message that came across was that Shedden had more friends on the grid than Plato (or maybe more a case of Shedden had less enemies?)
Old 3 Oct 2019, 11:06 (Ref:3931666)   #15
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
lol. Was it your first year watching motorsport?
Old 3 Oct 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3931667)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I agree with the theory, in principle. But how do you tie that in with a direction from Alan Gow for people to 'not get involved with the championship battle'. To me, that is something that will be impossible to achieve.

Looking at R3, and take a single driver in isolation:
At the end of L9, Shedden was immediately behind Jordan. Jordan was not involved with either JP or GS's teams, so should he:
a) - interfere with the title by defending hard against Shedden?
b) - interfere with the title by allowing Shedden past with little effort?

Either way - some fans will feel he has done the wrong thing, and both actions can be interpreted as going against the guidance from Mr Gow.

In much the same way, we have to wonder how the audience would react to a driver being taken out (accidental or otherwise).
When Jordan had his accident at Donington, did the other driver(s) involved face accusations of destroying someone's title chances? Would the opinion be the same if something similar where to happen in R28?

It is a fact of sport that, as a title draws closer to a conclusion, the associated emotions will be escalated amongst most people involved. This leads to actions facing greater scrutiny, and a higher level of effect being attributed to lesser acts.

This is what I think Mr Gow is referring to when he gives his guidance - that drivers should be wary of acting in an emotional manner and leading to unwanted consequences. If this is held to be true though, then the majority of drivers who (as is deemed) gave Shedden an easy pass did not do so in a rash moment of insanity, or out of an emotional burst, but as a considered and calculated act.

Therefore, the result has to be looked at not as a travesty of sporting contest, but in the context of sportsmanship on and off the track influencing the outcome.
Old 3 Oct 2019, 13:25 (Ref:3931688)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That 2015 Brands Final was not the worst thing to happen to the series. No way. It just shows as someone said above you reap what you sow. Remember how Red Bull struggled to get another engine supplier after moaning about Renault all the time?

The way everyone didn't make it hard for Flash should be a lesson to all drivers to play fair and you will get the same in return.
Old 3 Oct 2019, 14:39 (Ref:3931705)   #18
FFSM
Rookie

I think some let their anti-Plato sentiment rule their opinion over this...

I admit Shedden was never my favourite driver in the series, but he was just as likely to put someone off as Plato, if not more so (as Turkington seemed to find out on numerous occasions that year, if I recall correctly).
Old 3 Oct 2019, 14:50 (Ref:3931709)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
No, don’t remember Shedden putting off many people in 2015
Old 3 Oct 2019, 16:48 (Ref:3931724)   #20
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That suggests you haven't seen much motorsport. To me watching Plato deliberately punt drivers off is worse. I saw every getting of of Sheddens way very much a case of "you reap what you sow" for Plato.

That approach rules out any form of team orders / tactics - where do you stand on teams asking drivers to swap positions? Is that the second worst thing you've ever seen in motorsport?

According to your own view on this it's clearcut - why should Turkington have let Plato past? To do so would have been one of the worst things you've ever seen in motorsport
Total nonsense as well you know!

Team mates/team orders/team tactics are completely different. Of course team mates will let each other through in certain circumstances, but at the same time they’re fully entitled to fight each other in the right circumstances as well.
Old 3 Oct 2019, 16:52 (Ref:3931725)   #21
porsche962fan
Veteran

reminds me of some weirdos Plato fanboys on the official forum calling for al drivers who let Shedden pass be called in front of some sports tribunal for fixing the championship
Old 3 Oct 2019, 17:07 (Ref:3931726)   #22
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
I think some let their anti-Plato sentiment rule their opinion over this...

I admit Shedden was never my favourite driver in the series, but he was just as likely to put someone off as Plato, if not more so (as Turkington seemed to find out on numerous occasions that year, if I recall correctly).
That is absolutely untrue. At the final race at Brands Hatch, Jason drove into the back of Shedden 3 times in a single race. Under the 3 strike rule, Jason should've started at the back of the grid in Race 2. He was not penalised - because that would've ruined the championship battle.

We're talking about what's fair, whilst rules were ignored and drivers were told not to get in the way of the title battle. Let's be realistic here.

I understand the sentiment of not liking letting drivers though. However, in the wider picture, it absolutely fits with the BTCC narrative, and it absolutely fits with how rules were completely ignored to allow the title battle to continue.
Old 3 Oct 2019, 17:13 (Ref:3931731)   #23
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I seemed to have clicked on the wrong thread. I thought this was going to be about the 2019 season finale, but I seem to be stuck in pages of pointless bickering about something that happened 4 years.

Can someone let me know if/when this thread ever gets back on topic.
Old 3 Oct 2019, 17:41 (Ref:3931742)   #24
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I seemed to have clicked on the wrong thread. I thought this was going to be about the 2019 season finale, but I seem to be stuck in pages of pointless bickering about something that happened 4 years.

Can someone let me know if/when this thread ever gets back on topic.
It'll come full circle when everyone lets Cammish through and he wins the title.