Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 16 Jun 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1005697)   #1
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Question for past USGP Attendees...

I am attending my first USGP this year and was wondering for anyone who has been there before:

How bad is the traffic and how much time should I allow to get there?

While I realize the time factor is relative to where I am coming from; most race venues I've attended have somewhat normal traffic patterns until you get a certain distance from the track.

Any first hand information would be greatly appreciated!
Old 16 Jun 2004, 11:02 (Ref:1005708)   #2
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spirtle I attended the very first USGP in 2000. I arrived from MD and we arrived to the track at 6 am. At that time the traffic was not bad and we could find parking places at the track (for $200). I think it is very good to arrive early, because you get to meet the drivers as they arrive to the track and get to look arround with not so many people arround. When we lest the traffic was terrible, so I advise you to stay arround the track after the race (have lunch or something) and then leave.

Cheers,
Old 16 Jun 2004, 11:24 (Ref:1005723)   #3
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My friends and I always park in lot 1-B to the NW of the Speedway, and by the time we walk from our normal GA area at the entrance to the backstretch back to our cars (~30min), traffic isn't terrible... and we are usually on the highway about 1 hour after getting to our cars (1.5hr after the race is over. As for traffic on the way in I'm not sure, we usually arrive on Sat when there is little traffic to worry about...
Old 16 Jun 2004, 11:32 (Ref:1005736)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Enjoy your weekend, Spritle!
Old 16 Jun 2004, 17:39 (Ref:1006060)   #5
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Question for past USGP Attendees...

Quote:
Originally posted by Spritle
I am attending my first USGP this year and was wondering for anyone who has been there before:

How bad is the traffic and how much time should I allow to get there?

While I realize the time factor is relative to where I am coming from; most race venues I've attended have somewhat normal traffic patterns until you get a certain distance from the track.

Any first hand information would be greatly appreciated!
You might wish to read of my experiences in '02 by connecting here http://www.marshalspost.com/display_...?article_id=19 . The "traffic report" is near the end. As illustrated in the article, parking in a location that will allow exit in the general direction you wish is most important. If you are departing to the NW, anything on the N or W of the track is useful.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 20:26 (Ref:1006252)   #6
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I might have further qualified myself by saying I already have parking secured for Saturday and Sunday so I will not be hunting for a spot if that helps in any way.

Thanks KB I will indeed. I hope to actually SEE my Predictions Competition come in as I predicted first hand...as soon as I pick them!

Last edited by Spritle; 16 Jun 2004 at 20:30.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 04:57 (Ref:1006447)   #7
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the track is basically in a city...we ended up parking at the house we stayed at and walking the approx 1.5 mi each day it looked like total gridlock around the circuit
Old 17 Jun 2004, 20:37 (Ref:1007349)   #8
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
73_Gstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My experience with Indy MS from several Brickyard 400's, One Indy 500, and all USGP is to park as far north as you can withstand walking. I come in from the East, take I-65 north and exit at 38th street. Drive through the neighborhoods and park in someones front yard or an open lot about a mile north of Oval Turn 4. Its quite the walk, but you pass a lot of cars walking and often get to the interstate a lot faster.

If you already have parking arranged, and its at the track, plan on waiting a while. Its not as bad as for Indy 500 and Brickyard 400, but you'll still wait. The time I parked next to the track (lot south of Turn 1-2 chute) we didn't move for over an hour. It was easy to get in (police motorcade), but it wasn't worth it.

If you see a chap with an IMSA Talk T-shirt and Audi Sport North America, stop me and say hello!
Old 19 Jun 2004, 13:09 (Ref:1008656)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Moved to trackside.

A place for you to plan your trips to the circuit - arrange meet-ups with old friends, or seek advice on the best place to watch from, the best bar to drink at, etc.