Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Mar 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1256894)   #26
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jeez, 2 races in a new season with an old car and some people are writing off ferrari already.
yes there do seem to be some concerns with the tyres, but the new car is meant to be much easier on them, also sepang is a track that usually favours michelins more, so that may have skewed the picture a little about ferrari's true pace. at the moment though no one seems to be up with renault except maybe toyota.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1256912)   #27
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Last year Ferrari won Sepang, their tyres were the best in 2004.

Hmm Rubens no1 driver at Ferrari!?

Well Ferrari always said they would support the leading driver...
Old 20 Mar 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1256921)   #28
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michelins always tend to ge better in the hot weather, don't they? I can't see Bahrain being particularly cool, so logic would suggest a new car is on order..they ain't likely to trouble the front row in the old one!
Old 20 Mar 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1256943)   #29
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Well Ferrari always said they would support the leading driver...
The lead driver has never been Barrichello though. Despite the view some have of Ferrari I think if Rubens was still ahead after 4 or 5 races then Ferrari and Schumi would back him all the way in a title fight.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1257053)   #30
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's just the 2nd race and people are scrambling for team positions and Ferrari trouble..

Ferrari doesn't luck into the past 5 years of championship with such problems.

Yes, it is a hiccup, but one which to an extent is expected. Ferrari is aware of the fact that the old car would struggle.

Wait til the new car comes. If it struggles, we'd start tearing our hair out. 2 races, 6 points apart.. still more than enough time to fight for.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 16:27 (Ref:1257064)   #31
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it is panic time for Ferrari yet although maybe for Bridgestone.

RB was not far off the race pace in OZ. In the heat of Sepang that was very different.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1257194)   #32
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think what has shocked alot of folks is the extent of which ferrari have dropped back especially when you think back over the last four seasons with the incredible package that they had. Lets not forget that the f2004 is one bloody quick car which would indicate that the weakest link is the ferrari bridgestones. The only way they will solve this is by loads of testing miles seven days a week and hope that the next number of gp,s are won by a number of different drivers and teams so the points are spread out which will make it slightly more easy for ferrari to deal with, that's providing they get better by about three to four seconds a lap!
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1257204)   #33
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pole2pole
The only way they will solve this is by loads of testing miles seven days a week and hope that the next number of gp,s are won by a number of different drivers and teams so the points are spread out which will make it slightly more easy for ferrari to deal with, that's providing they get better by about three to four seconds a lap!
I sure hope the points are spread out. But at the moment Renault are the team to beat.
Mclaren haven't shown their full potenial, and when they do, sure they will win, and hopefully Toyota will win a race, by the end of the season.
Maybe even Red Bull. Infact DC, at Monaco. He'll be the winner.

Last edited by luke; 20 Mar 2005 at 19:05.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1257220)   #34
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was all about tyres. Bridgestone screwed up, even the Jordans and Minardis were slower than usual
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1257227)   #35
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can finally watch a full race now without fast forwarding through, except for the pit stops. I am now completely interested in F1 and can't wait for race weekends. I think Ferrari falling behind is exactly what F1 needed. Unfortunate, but true for me.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:34 (Ref:1257233)   #36
Marlboro man
Rookie

Marlboro man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jarce
I think Ferrari have got complacent!

To think your old car will whip other teams new expensively developed cars is a huge assumption - which they have got very wrong.

Ferrari never said their old car would be able to win races in 2005.
The plan was to use the F2004M and score points and maybe a podium, if things turned out well.

As we all could see this morning, the F2004M isn't able to score points when there are no DNF's. Therefore there is no reason te continue with the F2004M

I believe the bad results of Ferrari is the consequence of using the old car with new tyres that need to last a race.
Other teams have build in all kinds of tyre saving gadgets in their new cars.
Ferrari is forced to use harder compounds.
They underestimated that problem.

As for now, I don't see much reason to panic. For all we know, the F2005 may be as good as the F2004 was in it's glory days. Then it will only be a matter of time before Ferrari will be on top again.

If the F2005 can't win races either, then I should start to sweat. (Like Flavio)

Personally I hope that Renault and Ferrari are evenly matched, that could generate an exciting season.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1257237)   #37
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new regulations state that the engine would have to be used for two races.

Doesn't this mean that the car they use in Barahin will have to be the car they use in the following race??....or else pay a penalty in grid position??

If that's the case, they don't have a choice. We'll probably see the 2005 next time.

Alonso is a massive 16 points ahead of Schumi. Ferrari cannot wait any longer
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1257240)   #38
Marlboro man
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcartfan
I can finally watch a full race now without fast forwarding through, except for the pit stops. I am now completely interested in F1 and can't wait for race weekends. I think Ferrari falling behind is exactly what F1 needed. Unfortunate, but true for me.
If Renault wins another 17 races the way they did today, I can see you complaining again. Dominance kills the game, it doesn't matter what team is dominant, maybe for a while because it's something new.

In Holland we have a saying: "Verandering van spijs doet eten."

Which means something like: If you eat the same thing every day, you will welcome anything new, no matter what it is.

Last edited by Marlboro man; 20 Mar 2005 at 19:46.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1257241)   #39
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Question was: What do you think Ferrari will do to avoid falling too far behind?

Create their own breakaway series where they make all the rules, like having extra testing, an un-ending budget for development, the top driver, and a tyre manufacturer 100% committed to development for their car only.

Hmmm...wait a minute...
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1257246)   #40
Marlboro man
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT
The new regulations state that the engine would have to be used for two races.

Doesn't this mean that the car they use in Barahin will have to be the car they use in the following race??....or else pay a penalty in grid position??
Yes, if they don't use it in Bahrein, they can't use it the next race or they will have to face a penalty.

That's also the reason why Schumacher didn't change his engine after Melbourne, even though he had the oppurtunity.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1257254)   #41
Marlboro man
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Question was: What do you think Ferrari will do to avoid falling too far behind?

Create their own breakaway series where they make all the rules, like having extra testing, an un-ending budget for development, the top driver, and a tyre manufacturer 100% committed to development for their car only.

Hmmm...wait a minute...
Ferrari would commit suicide when they would agree with the new testing restrictions. Then Michelin would have something like 210 test days and Bridgestone about 60 days.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1257256)   #42
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro man
If Renault wins another 17 races the way they did today, I can see you complaining again. Dominance kills the game, it doesn't matter what team is dominant, maybe for a while because it's something new.

In Holland we have a saying: "Verandering van spijs doet eten."

Which means something like: If you eat the same thing every day, you will welcome anything new, now matter what it is.
I agree with MM. The thing is I see every sign of that possibility happening. I never had the feeling that Ranault was in any danger of being caught by Toyota, McLaren, Williams, whatever, in these first two races. I also have an uneasy feeling that they haven't really pushed the car hard....

We're talking about a better (2005) Ferrari to give Renault a run for its money but it's not going to be easy at all. It will take a miracle on Ferrari's part and another on Bridgestone's part.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1257263)   #43
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hazard - Do you think Ferrari would have the 'front' and 'audacity' to hold unilateral discussions with any organisation.

I mean I couldn't see the FIA standing for a unilateral dialogue where the other nine teams were left out - surely Max would never 'bless' any such meeting

Oh and in response to Marlboro Man, I can't believe Ferrari wouldn't have gone with the 2004 if they didn't believe it could win, not just get points. Ferrari are not like that.

I reckon they thought many teams would have reiability problems over the first few races and that the 'good old' 2004 would sale round.

Not so!

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 20 Mar 2005 at 19:58.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 20:02 (Ref:1257267)   #44
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
What will Ferrari do?

Same as last time.

Get down to serious testing, work very very hard and get the rules changed.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1257270)   #45
Marlboro man
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jarce
Oh and in response to Marlboro Man, I can't believe Ferrari wouldn't have gone with the 2004 if they didn't believe it could win, not just get points. Ferrari are not like that.
Well, they made it very clear on several occasions.

Quote:
I reckon they thought many teams would have reiability problems over the first few races and that the 'good old' 2004 would sale round.
That still doesn't mean that they thought the F2004M was fast enough to win.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1257275)   #46
Marlboro man
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
What will Ferrari do?

Same as last time.

Get down to serious testing, work very very hard and get the rules changed.
Or make illegal tyres like Michelin in 2003.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1257323)   #47
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Only illegal after some team complained though.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1257328)   #48
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Keep to the topic in hand. It is an interesting one - Ferrari are on the back foot, but there are changes happening...

We do not need to go over old ground, or pedal the same one-sided view point. It will only destroy the thread.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1257337)   #49
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry Adam, just felt I had to respond to that one.....
Old 20 Mar 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1257355)   #50
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Proving the point...