Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 May 2016, 03:19 (Ref:3638661)   #1
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
This year's GTE Thread

Perhaps we can keep this within a single discussion. This category will be the one I will be most interested. Perhaps the best GT field at Le Mans since 1998. Who do you think will win? Who will you cheer for?

I will cheer for any of the IMSA or U.S. based teams which I consider to be the P&M Corvettes, 2 factory Porsches, Risi Ferrari, Scuderia Corse Ferrari and the 4 Fords. Certainly a big "No" to AF Corse and Aston Martin.
Old 5 May 2016, 16:45 (Ref:3638860)   #2
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know who will win the GTE Pro category. Because of the BoP, the brand new Ford, the perfectly balanced 488 and the 911 which global design has not changed since 1963 will nearly be on the same pace.
Old 5 May 2016, 16:53 (Ref:3638862)   #3
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As whole, I don't really care what happens, to me they are basically just moving obstacles for prototypes nowadays - BUT comeback making Risi winning would be pretty neat. They used to be such powerhouse. Even as late as 2010 them vs Corvette was amazing. But unfortunately the Competizione is not the team it used to be (though at least they had the sense to fire Jaime Melo), and times in the class have changed anyway. Doubt I need to clarify on that more

I would bet on Ford getting some breaks prior and/or post Test Day, it's in the interest of "everyone" to have them competitive
Old 5 May 2016, 17:08 (Ref:3638868)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i for one am interested in this class, the return of Ford has boosted the standing of le mans in the press and i am hoping they give a good account of themselves. Yes they are unlikely to repeat the overall win but the whole point of le mans is several races held at the same time on the same track, boy would it be boring it there were only 6 factory cars going around a 13 mile track for 24 hours
Old 6 May 2016, 07:47 (Ref:3639067)   #5
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well i for one am interested in this class, the return of Ford has boosted the standing of le mans in the press and i am hoping they give a good account of themselves. Yes they are unlikely to repeat the overall win but the whole point of le mans is several races held at the same time on the same track, boy would it be boring it there were only 6 factory cars going around a 13 mile track for 24 hours
13 miles!? Clearly I missed this. When did they extend the track? Where have they extended it?

Seriously though, I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one who appreciates the GTs. I suppose it's because it's more in the spirit of LM to have cars based (albeit relatively loosely) on production models. I'd be quite happy to have just two classes - LMP1 and GTE-pro, although GT3 would perhaps be better because it would attract a more varied entry.
Old 5 May 2016, 18:29 (Ref:3638901)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I too am interested, so thank you for starting the thread. We should probably have one for the other class's too. Then the specific discussion won't get drowned out in the usual race concerns.

It looks a might strong field and it is very hard to predict who will come out on top. Other than I think Porsche will need some rain to get the win.

Which team, which car? Crikey! Looking forward to seeing how the build up and race pans out.
Old 5 May 2016, 19:08 (Ref:3638910)   #7
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I too am interested, so thank you for starting the thread. We should probably have one for the other class's too. Then the specific discussion won't get drowned out in the usual race concerns.

It looks a might strong field and it is very hard to predict who will come out on top. Other than I think Porsche will need some rain to get the win.

Which team, which car? Crikey! Looking forward to seeing how the build up and race pans out.

I wonder how much of the Porsche team is going to involve folks from the IMSA team this time since there is no full time WEC team. Interesting in that other than Bergmeister the driver tandoms are in tact from Daytona and Sebring.
Old 5 May 2016, 19:00 (Ref:3638907)   #8
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You better add year to these thread titles, like here before
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140920

To make it clearer in later view
Old 5 May 2016, 19:12 (Ref:3638914)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Driver wise they'll do alright
Old 6 May 2016, 08:11 (Ref:3639075)   #10
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Love the variety the GTEs bring. It was strange that, after five years and becoming so used to (and dismissive of) the sound of the 458s, the WEC race at Silverstone was strange for only having one of them. The new car just doesn't sound good.

So at least at Le Mans we get a bit of a final hurrah for the 458. Can't imagine we'll see any next year. In pure performance terms I don't think it will be too interesting unless the 488s get BoP'd. They seem to have pace to burn. But obviously anything can happen during the race. And we still don't know the full line-ups for any pro Ferrari yet.
Old 6 May 2016, 17:22 (Ref:3639256)   #11
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Love the variety the GTEs bring. It was strange that, after five years and becoming so used to (and dismissive of) the sound of the 458s, the WEC race at Silverstone was strange for only having one of them. The new car just doesn't sound good.

So at least at Le Mans we get a bit of a final hurrah for the 458. Can't imagine we'll see any next year. In pure performance terms I don't think it will be too interesting unless the 488s get BoP'd. They seem to have pace to burn. But obviously anything can happen during the race. And we still don't know the full line-ups for any pro Ferrari yet.
Do Alessandro Per Guini and Daniel Serra have Le Mans rides? They will be good for sure based on the runs of the #68 Ferrari in the WeatherTech series.
Old 7 May 2016, 12:37 (Ref:3639416)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=556
Old 10 May 2016, 15:23 (Ref:3640640)   #13
otisdog
Rookie

United States
Camano island, Washington
otisdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am quite interested in the GT class also...probably because it has been the most stable class we have had in the US recently, and has not been as diluted as the other classes due to the change of series ownership.
It'm also helps that there will be so many real contenders in the GTLM class @ Le Mans that are from the states this year.
Old 10 May 2016, 20:33 (Ref:3640709)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The US invasion has been a great feature of GT for a long time now.
Old 19 May 2016, 08:16 (Ref:3642802)   #15
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
14 factory cars in GTE, that is impressive. This can be really interesting, everyone will have to go flat out all the way to be i with a chace to win. Realisticly though I think we will see a battle between the 2 AF Ferrari 488s against the 4 Fords at the front, with everyone else struggling to keep up. The 488 has been too quick in WEC this year, and Ford is clearly sandbagging. And its in the interest of ACO and FIA to see those two battle it out. I wouldnt be surpriset if those two cars are 1 second clear of everyone else both in qualifying and racepace.
Old 19 May 2016, 09:41 (Ref:3642812)   #16
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
...Ford is clearly sandbagging...
I'm sure no-one will be surprised if they find an improvement in form compared to earlier outings this season.

Their biggest advantage will be having 4 factory cars, that should allow them to run a variety of Hare and Tortoise strategies.

I think I might be looking forward to the GT battle more than the P1 race!
Old 3 Jun 2016, 11:27 (Ref:3646806)   #17
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
14 factory cars in GTE, that is impressive. This can be really interesting, everyone will have to go flat out all the way to be i with a chace to win. Realisticly though I think we will see a battle between the 2 AF Ferrari 488s against the 4 Fords at the front, with everyone else struggling to keep up. The 488 has been too quick in WEC this year, and Ford is clearly sandbagging. And its in the interest of ACO and FIA to see those two battle it out. I wouldnt be surpriset if those two cars are 1 second clear of everyone else both in qualifying and racepace.
I fear you may be correct about Ford and Ferrari. But don't count out Corvette. My beloved Porsche, I fear will be a back marker.
Old 19 May 2016, 12:36 (Ref:3642865)   #18
Deleted
Veteran

There will be performance balancing adjustments after Test Day too, so they won't take the sandbags out (dataloggers or not) until Free Practice of race week starts.
Old 19 May 2016, 12:48 (Ref:3642868)   #19
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
There will be performance balancing adjustments after Test Day too, so they won't take the sandbags out (dataloggers or not) until Free Practice of race week starts.
Yeah, they can easily run slightly "wrong" setup on the car, making their cornerspeed just slightly lower, and then for race week they adjust it and car runs like normal, 1-2 seconds faster then test day. And then we will hear the classic "When analysing the logs from testday we found something". We've heard it before...
Old 19 May 2016, 13:35 (Ref:3642883)   #20
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In the immortal words of Mr Bridger, "Camp Freddie, Everybody in the world is bent."
Old 2 Jun 2016, 15:59 (Ref:3646592)   #21
Deleted
Veteran

Test Day's temporary lottery numbers.

Ford GTE (PRO)

-20kg
+5L fuel

Aston Martin Vantage GTE (PRO)

-20kg
-0,4mm air restrictor
+5L fuel

Aston Martin Vantage GTE (AM)

+0,3mm air restrictor
+5L fuel
Gurney adjustments

Ferrari 488 GTE (PRO)
+10kg
+5L fuel

Ferrari 458 GTE (AM)

-10kg
+5L fuel

Chevrolet Corvette C7.R (PRO)

-0,2mm air restrictor
+5L fuel

Chevrolet Corvette C7.R (AM)

Gurney adjustments

Porsche 991 (PRO)

+5L fuel

Porsche 991 (AM)

+5L fuel
Old 3 Jun 2016, 07:24 (Ref:3646759)   #22
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
A non-engineer writes: Does a 'minus' on the air restrictor size mean a larger or smaller hole?
Old 3 Jun 2016, 07:46 (Ref:3646762)   #23
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
A non-engineer writes: Does a 'minus' on the air restrictor size mean a larger or smaller hole?
A minus means a smaller diameter on the single or the two restrictors.
Old 3 Jun 2016, 07:55 (Ref:3646765)   #24
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
A non-engineer replies: A minus signifies a reduction in the diameter of the restrictor , thus making the hole smaller.
Old 3 Jun 2016, 19:22 (Ref:3646947)   #25
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
A non-engineer replies: A minus signifies a reduction in the diameter of the restrictor, thus making the hole smaller.
You mean 'a reduction in the diameter of the opening in the restrictor', to be more precise? Presumably the external dimensions are unchanged.

When people say 'larger restrictor', my mind jumps to a physically larger contraption, with a smaller opening, passing less air through. But that's not what they mean. It's rather counter-intuitive, a 'larger restrictor' is a physically smaller object.