Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Jul 2018, 18:53 (Ref:3834677)   #101
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
We must admit that pizza and beer are perfect for fast driving and long lasting then. Enjoy the meals!
Old 4 Jul 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3834679)   #102
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Leaving at 6am with a 1hr journey to the ferry then driving to the circuit,is there anything I should be aware off around the circuit and traffic and delays wise.Never been.Any reply or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 19:14 (Ref:3834683)   #103
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Leaving at 6am with a 1hr journey to the ferry then driving to the circuit,is there anything I should be aware off around the circuit and traffic and delays wise.Never been.Any reply or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
SPEED LIMITS.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 19:19 (Ref:3834685)   #104
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 4 Jul 2018, 19:20 (Ref:3834686)   #105
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
SPEED LIMITS.
Quite right, they need money from everyone by now. More than 136 kmh is risky on the highways and other roads you've better stay around 80 kmh, new limit.

retrognome, if you could have some pics car is grey Jag' # 26, plateau 4, teamWelch, drivers Rivet Fusil/ Le Jean. Thanks in advance!
Old 4 Jul 2018, 22:18 (Ref:3834717)   #106
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
I will be three days at Le Mans Classic. Please if you want pics ask me now, there are just so many cars. Usual contact: pwb@retro-speed.co.uk Thanks.

Is the car in the photo what it appears to be?

If so; genuine, partly genuine or complete recreation?
Old 5 Jul 2018, 05:35 (Ref:3834741)   #107
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Is the car in the photo what it appears to be?

If so; genuine, partly genuine or complete recreation?
If that is, as it looks to me, the Lola GT ‘GT40 inspiration’, then it’s real. Was restored in recent years from memory, as there was a long feature in Octane about it.

All good after a long wait to get in- in very hot sun. Then it rained in early hours so my ezup now features a large lake beneath. Not deep enough to bath in, though. And I discovered that the cool box was mistakingly switched to keeping things warm rather than cold.

Looking at meteo rain should clear soon, so fingers crossed can get everything dried out!
Old 5 Jul 2018, 06:44 (Ref:3834749)   #108
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

All good after a long wait to get in- in very hot sun. Then it rained in early hours so my ezup now features a large lake beneath. Not deep enough to bath in, though. And I discovered that the cool box was mistakingly switched to keeping things warm rather than cold.

Looking at meteo rain should clear soon, so fingers crossed can get everything dried out!
Memories
My next door neighbours here in Sussex moved to the Mayenne in 2002 about 90 mins from Le Mans so thereafter I binned the tent!

Last edited by justracing; 5 Jul 2018 at 06:50.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 07:09 (Ref:3834755)   #109
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Live streaming has been improved. Should start with Jaguar Challenge on Saturday at 10:15, 9:30 on Sunday. Radio Le Mans, as said, will broadcast through Jones, Roller and Haven voices.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 09:21 (Ref:3834763)   #110
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If that is, as it looks to me, the Lola GT ‘GT40 inspiration’, then it’s real. Was restored in recent years from memory, as there was a long feature in Octane about it.

The American one?

I thought that was intended to be mainly a show car. (For good reason in that particular case.)

Quote:

Rain?

Hmm, rain ...

I think I remember some rain once upon a time ...

Accuweather makes mention of a possible Thunder shower this evening and then, looking ahead, nothing about precipitation until "A morning shower" on the 16th.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 09:45 (Ref:3834765)   #111
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Is'nt the american one belonging to Leno's collection? The picture shows a racing car not a display model.
Accuweather is good but seems to have a half day delay with France predictions. May be some morning short showers but beware of hail on any car body.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 12:36 (Ref:3834800)   #112
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Paul Haywood-Halfpenny raced one of the originals a few years back (10 - 12 years ago, maybe).
Not sure how many were made? 2 or 3 maybe?
Beautiful looking car - more pleasing than the GT40.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 14:22 (Ref:3834815)   #113
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Weather looks hidesouly hot for both days as far as I can see.

Will make it more of an ordeal for me I am afraid.

Hopefully there is some shade, or the golf brolly is coming out
Old 5 Jul 2018, 14:40 (Ref:3834818)   #114
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Well, the "American" one was a build over a number of years by a chap that worked on them in the day, bought a rolling shell before it was sent for scrap and waited 40 years to do anything with it.

There were, apparently, 3 made - all, in effect, prototypes.

From reletively recent looking times I have find photos of the one mentioned above (Silver and once presented with its owner in a Jay Leno's Garage video), a BR Green one that may have been raced in Historics at some point and a possibly 2 blue ones, one being the metallic blue with a white stripe the other non-metallic with a white stripe.

The Green and non-metallic blue ones seems to have much the same bodywork, the metallic blue one is a little more "development" applied.

A lovely looking thing in its original body style.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 15:21 (Ref:3834826)   #115
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I believe that that is the car that was for sale at the Sotheby's auction in 2014 on behalf of it's Dutch owners. https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/M...mk-6-gt/181140
Old 5 Jul 2018, 16:00 (Ref:3834838)   #116
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stunning car
Old 5 Jul 2018, 16:07 (Ref:3834841)   #117
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
One of the two "french" Howmet will race this weekend again. I guess they both have the same owner but different stages of development.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3834845)   #118
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
One of the two "french" Howmet will race this weekend again. I guess they both have the same owner but different stages of development.
I was told a while back that the ‘french’ Howmet which raced in Peter Auto in recent times was sold on by the owner, who then after regretting selling, bought the other one and now races that on occasion? Sound correct? There’s one here, anyway.

Mike H, pretty sure that is the Lola that is here. It is, as everyone says, a stunningly good looking car.....

I was always told never to attend a race meeting without licence and kit, even if going just to spectate, chill or kick tyres, I’ve always followed that advice, and it’s paid dividends this weekend-
Old 5 Jul 2018, 16:45 (Ref:3834846)   #119
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:

I was always told never to attend a race meeting without licence and kit, even if going just to spectate, chill or kick tyres, I’ve always followed that advice, and it’s paid dividends this weekend-
Good news, very fortuitous! What are you getting codrive?
Old 5 Jul 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3834860)   #120
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do I remember reading that one of thse cars is now part of the Rofgo collection.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 20:08 (Ref:3834888)   #121
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I believe that that is the car that was for sale at the Sotheby's auction in 2014 on behalf of it's Dutch owners. https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/M...mk-6-gt/181140

Ah yes, I remember seeing and reading that write up. A terrific set of photos as well - as one might well expect from a top value Sothebys publicity effort.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 21:12 (Ref:3834891)   #122
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
A fascinating read with some asides as well such as the Ford / Mecum conflict I was unaware off.
A beautiful car to boot.
Thanks for posting, Mike. Much appreciated.
Old 6 Jul 2018, 07:38 (Ref:3834958)   #123
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The Silver Lola ( I think No3) was next to us at the FoS last year, American property developer bought it when it was a few years old, he's had it since '66, must be in his 80's now, seemed like a nice bloke, and let Arthur sit in it. . . . . it had only ever done 10 miles when it arrrived! It really is a prototype, and stunning.

I remember the green car appearing at Goodwood many years ago and there were lots of mutterings going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Goodwood Festival of Speed 2017 162.jpg   IMG_9971.JPG   DSCF3033.jpg  

Old 6 Jul 2018, 09:56 (Ref:3834970)   #124
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Lola GT Mk 6

This article summarises the story I read previously and adds some terrific photos.

https://petrolicious.com/articles/th...-gt40-possible
Old 6 Jul 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3834979)   #125
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It’s really scorchio now at Le Mans, and plateau 1 qualifiers were just going to pre grid when I came back to change for plateau 3 session at 1559hrs. Car 25, and it’s British......