Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 6 Nov 2006, 19:27 (Ref:1759305)   #76
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
He probably copied the paint scheme but you never know it may be the real McCoy as its a nice bit of kit.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1759309)   #77
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You mean this one Al? Taken at Snett when I saw you there.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1759312)   #78
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thats the one, (big file Andrew). I see it has the Lavant motors web address on the front which explains a lot as they do a nice job.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1759719)   #79
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
It is of course Vince Woodman, one of the great saloon car drivers.
Oh marvellous pics there Andrew - I think i'm going to have to ask you if you can email me some of your old Gpr 1 and Grp A Capri/Rover shots as a big big favour please!! In fact i'm going to pm you!!!

Almost right re the caption!!

It's certainly Vince's old CC car but it's I suspect that it's Brian Chatfield driving the car in this shot.

Brian bought Vince's and one of the Red Gordon Spice cars at the end of '82 and ran them both in and out in Group A for the next few seasons.

This shot, I believe was taken at the opening BTCC race of 1985. Steve Soper had a one off in an ex works Metro Turbo and tore off into the distance on the opening lap with Sytner, Neil McGrath and possiblt Dennis Leech giving chase, before blowing the thing up!!

Brian made a sensational start to get in front of Barry and Pete Hall's Rover (also pictured along with the ARDT Alfa's) and gradually fell back.

Last edited by chunterer; 7 Nov 2006 at 09:11.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1759848)   #80
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
terryobeirne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to confirm at least one of the Dolly Sprints did get converted from GpC to GpA spec and it still lives. If I recall correctly, it only did a few events in 84-85.
Old 8 Nov 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1761166)   #81
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
ART Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supras

So, to summarise the last few pages, if I have this right:

Car No 1, built 1983, LHD, photographed for the homologation papers. Presumably this car becomes the Eklund 1985 British Open Rally Championship car, sold off at the end of 1985, whereabouts unknown. What it did for late 1983 and all 1984 is a mystery, did it race in 1984? British Rally history not my strong point.

Car No 2, built 1983, RHD, becomes the first circuit car. Driven by Win Percy, Gordon Spice and Tony Dron at various times from Aug 83 until April 1984 when it has a prang at Thruxton. It is then repaired for Gordon Spice to take to Spa 1984, then it comes to Australia. Raced in Group A in Australia by Peter Williamson et al until Oct 1987 then Nico Selig in New Zealand until 1989, returns to Australia July 1989, virtually unused since. Pranged 1984, 1985, 1986 and 1989! This is my car.

Car No 3, built 1984, RHD, becomes Win's car from May 1984. Goes on to be fairly successful for Win, then becomes Barry Sheene's 1985 car. Crashed at Thruxton April or May 1985, probably scrapped.

Car No 4, built 1985, RHD, becomes Barry Sheene's car for the remainder of 1985. This car is also the 1985 Spa car in Jermaine Jackson colours. Tested and leased by John Morris early 1986, then badly damaged, possibly written off by Bob Meacham in practice for the TT. Only conjecture about what happened from here, car 4 was presumably either repaired or reshelled to become the car which Duncan has today.

If anyone has anything to add to the above I would appreciate it, especially if someone has the date for which of the 2 Thruxton meetings in 1985 Barry Sheene had the start line prang which ended car 3's career.

John
Old 9 Nov 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1761401)   #82
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
All I definitely know for now is the following:

Win Percy's Supra accident was at the Easter race on April 23 1984.

The Sheene shunt was either the Easter race, April 8 1985, or the Whitsun meeting on May 27 1985.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 08:42 (Ref:1999869)   #83
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
1983 Toyota Celica Supra BSCC Information Needed

Hi,

Am trying to sort out the paperwork for my MA61 Supra Group A car, ex Win Percy/TTGB, and part of the CAMS requirement is to identify all the races the car was entered in.

I know that the car's first track outing was 16 July 1983 at Silverstone for Round 8 of the BSCC as I have photos of it on the track - but I am confused as to whether it actually raced, as it wasn't homologated until 1 August. Car would presumably also have been entered in Round 9 at Donnington on 14 Aug, and then Round 10 at Brands Hatch on 29 Aug. Car then definately raced at the TT on 11 September as I have photos and race results, but then Round 11 was 2 October at Silverstone for which I again have no information.

Car continued racing in England until its crash at Thruxton on 23 Apr 84, but I have a pretty good handle on the early 84 BSCC rounds. There have been some threads here over the years, but none of which address the 83 results.

Does anyone have any information on Rounds 8-11 of the BSCC in 83? All I mainly want to do is confirm whether the car raced, and who the driver was at the time: results would be great as well but harder to come by.

John
Old 30 Aug 2007, 08:56 (Ref:1999874)   #84
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

John, sounds a lovely car, look forward to seeing some current pics!

This may help a bit:

R8 Silverstone 16/7/83
6th overall (Percy driving)

R9 Donington 14/8/83
3rd overall (Percy)

R10 Brands GP 29/8/83
5th overall (Percy)

Haven't got any info for R11, the season finale at Silverstone 2/10/83 (BRDC Finals meeting)

Top 6 was Allam (Rover Vitesse); Soper (Vitesse), Brodie (Colt Starion), Lovett (Vitesse), Palmer (BMW 635), Lanfranchi (Opel Monza).

However a few thoughts worth considering: If it finished (let alone actually entered) the final round, Spice could've finished below that but judging by his/its pace in the earlier rounds, although early in its development it's unlikely to have been beaten by the Monza.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 12:41 (Ref:2000020)   #85
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
1983 Bscc

Thanks for that, fills in lots of gaps. Car will be finished shortly; Toyota want it for their 50th Anniversary in Motorsport celebrations in November so I have to pull my finger out! If I could work technology out I would post a current pic!

I have now documented 39 Group A races the car did, and there are probably others in New Zealand in 1988/89 that I don't know of, but don't even know where to start researching them.

John
Old 30 Aug 2007, 16:55 (Ref:2000198)   #86
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Have a look at the faq's for posting images. As long as you can get your hands on a scanner and then attach a suitably sized image from your photo album on your pc it should work. Lot of people post links to various hosted image websites but i've always just posted shots directly.

In fact like this. Taken pre-race in the paddock at Thruxton at end of May 1984, but I think it's the second car though? You can use it if you need for illustration purposes as long as you quote me!!

Have you restored it to original Hughes colours like this then?
Attached Thumbnails
Supra Thruxton 84.jpg  
Old 30 Aug 2007, 21:07 (Ref:2000396)   #87
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
No, it won't be going back into Hughes colours - not yet anyway! There are a number of reasons for that, but the main 2: firstly, no-one out here would remember the car like that as they associate it with the colours it had in Australia, and secondly it would be way too slow. In chosing a colour scheme to do a car up, we also have to ensure the car is mechanically identical to that period. In 1983 the car didn't even have programmable fuel injection, ran quite standard suspension, and would have no chance of competing against the other cars in its class in historic racing here - in fact it wouldn't compete against 2 litre cars done up to 1990 Group A rules. Choosing 1986 which is what I have done allows the programmable computer, tubular CrMo front suspension and lighter rear suspension, the special Arden Conversions inlet system and some internal engine mods for an additional 50hp and a chance against other 3 litre cars. And it means I don't have to take the flares off and therefore change the rear quarters which are totally different between the 'L' type non flare cars and the 'P' type body with flares.

John

Last edited by ART Racing; 30 Aug 2007 at 21:09.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 11:53 (Ref:2000795)   #88
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Send yer pics to me John...oil throw em up on 10/10ths :-)

[email sent at work]
Old 3 Sep 2007, 07:58 (Ref:2002307)   #89
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst Dipper 1986

Bathurst 1984 Grid

Supra and Moffat ANZ Sierra Bathurst

ART Racing Supra

Old 3 Sep 2007, 08:56 (Ref:2002351)   #90
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Good one!

Hadn't realised the car had run as late as 1987/88 against the RS500's and M3's?

Presumably the last pic is the old girls current state? Looks in pretty good nick to me.

I might have a shot of the actual car prior to it's Trimoco shunt in 1984 somewhere. (The one I posted above is I believe the second car) I'll see if I can did it out.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 10:54 (Ref:2002452)   #91
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
MA61

Yes, the photo you have above is a late one of car 2. I believe it was built with flares, but must have been protested at some stage as they were taken off: they weren't legal before Aug 1985, and car 2 had been destroyd by then. Car 3 didn't have them initially either.

The last shot of my car is when we bought it years ago, having had a paint job after it came back from New Zealand damaged in 1989. Last race I have proof of was 1988, the 1987 photo at Bathurst is in practice; car did not qualify thanks to some illegal Sierras and the 107% rule. This was its last outing in Australia before John Sax took it over to New Zealand.

I didn't let Mick put up the 'now' photos as it shows what a mess my garage is in: will clean up and take some in a few days.

John
Old 3 Sep 2007, 11:11 (Ref:2002463)   #92
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In '87... Mr Williamson did actually qualify didnt he? The other 2 pilots did not... something to do with engines that were down on power or something.

Sad that Willo ploughed his own money into the car.. for that mega wreck in '86 to nearly kill him and his businesses to fold up around him
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Sep 2007, 12:19 (Ref:2002544)   #93
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
MA61 Supra

Well, the books say that, but that isn't what the crew or John Sax said about Bathurst 87. However, as I wasn't there I won't comment. Peter losing his Toyota sponsorship and dealership had nothing to do with the accident or the car, but clearly late 86 and 87 weren't his best period.

The books say lots of things about the car: that it was a new shell after the start line accident in 84, that it went back to Japan for a rebuild by TRD after that same accident, that it had clutch problems at Oran Park in 85 etc etc: all are wrong. Truth is far stranger than fiction!

I believe the damage which the car had in 89 was due to rolling on its side at Wellington but have never been able to confirm it, would appreciate it if any of the NZ folk had any information on the car over there. I have no pictures at all from that period, only photos of the car in the container at Ray Gulson's in 89, showing the 'Minolta' and 'Union Shipping' sponsorship.

John
Old 3 Sep 2007, 16:09 (Ref:2002764)   #94
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART Racing
Yes, the photo you have above is a late one of car 2. I believe it was built with flares, but must have been protested at some stage as they were taken off: they weren't legal before Aug 1985, and car 2 had been destroyd by then. Car 3 didn't have them initially either. John
John, this might help you a bit further. The pic I posted is more likely an early shot of car 2. Car one was totalled at the F2 meeting end of April as you say, then there was a month's gap to the next round also at Thruxton end of May, which is when I took the pic. It's got to be the second car? (Although there's a chance the first car could've been rebuilt/reshelled in that time?)

Gordon Spice drove it (again presumably car 2) next time out at Silverstone (still in standard arches form IIRC) so I reckon that the first time it ran with flared arches was probably the Brit GP support at Brands in July?
Old 3 Sep 2007, 19:01 (Ref:2002908)   #95
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
MA61

Interesting. The car that came to Australia was the original shell of No 1, it had been repaired not reshelled. It isn't an overnight job to turn a car with flares into a car without as well - front guards are easy, but the rear guards have to be cut off and replacement ones welded in, although I guess that would be easy for a big race team back then. When car 1 was restored, it didn't have the black strips along the side either - they were taken off and the mounting holes filled in; at Spa in 1984 it has black stripes along the side but they are painted on, and in Australia it ran without them for the first 2 races. Pity I have never found a contact from Arden or Hughes who can remember.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 08:30 (Ref:2003322)   #96
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yes interesting stuff about the arches and stripes.

Gordon Spice was also one of the drivers at the Spa 24 Hours I think, so i'm wondering if the car he drove at the Silverstone BTCC round in June was in fact that same car (your number 1 car repaired?) so he could acclamatise to it prior to the 24 hours event a month or so later? Again speculation but logical I would have thought?
Old 24 Feb 2009, 16:37 (Ref:2403250)   #97
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Now started a specific thread in Chassis Archive here:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113267
Old 26 Feb 2009, 09:43 (Ref:2404423)   #98
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Some further discussion about these cars came in the 'All Japan Touring Car thread a while back, sorry for the multiple links but it's the simplest way to add this info in to here at present:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....5&postcount=12

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....6&postcount=15

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....7&postcount=25

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....4&postcount=34

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....8&postcount=47

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....7&postcount=48

Further discussion/speculation about Celica Supras continues in posts 49-57,
Old 5 Feb 2010, 14:26 (Ref:2627282)   #99
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
A few Supra pics from 1984/5

Win Percy, Brands 1984
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36111778@N08/3330313643/

Barry Sheene, Oulton, 1985
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iansimp...hy/3409823214/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iansimp...hy/4097195778/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iansimp...hy/4097195690/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iansimp...hy/4096436291/
Old 21 Oct 2010, 10:52 (Ref:2777874)   #100
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
So which one is this....?

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/10/21/...-toyota-supra/

http://www.classicheroes.co.uk/cars-...g-car-for-sale

Tags
arden conversions, atcc, btcc, group a, hughes of beaconsfield, martin brothers, spa 24 hours, toyota celica supra, win percy