Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jun 2005, 23:33 (Ref:1321937)   #1
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Best Driver or Best Car

Who would you like to see at the front of the race.

The Best Drivers, or the Best Cars, Teams, Tyres etc...

I don't have a problem with the regulations as they stand, It just hilights that the teams who can look after tyres the best at the moment have a big advantage.

This is just a different scenario to, the teams that have the most power have an advantage, or the teams with the better downforce, or the better traction control...

It all comes down to which teams can apply the set of rules in the best way.

I wouldn't want the cars to behave the same as each other...That is just 1 make racing. I want the cars to be different. I want the better teams to be disadvantaged sometimes, I want racing.

And at the moment, there is mote racing in F1 than there has been in a long, long time !

DKGandBH
Old 7 Jun 2005, 00:08 (Ref:1321950)   #2
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't the point of any sporting moment to apply the rules in the best way?
Old 7 Jun 2005, 00:39 (Ref:1321961)   #3
DKGandBH
Veteran

That is part of what I am trying to say...

There should be less complaining about the actual rules, and more concentrating on the racing.

DKGandBH
Old 7 Jun 2005, 00:48 (Ref:1321964)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
"Unpredictability is the essence of any sport"-Nick Fry said this shortly before BAR were banned.

It is strange that the more random elements you introduce (1 set of tyres) the more interesting things become.If F1 can showcase technology and also at the same time be unpredictable,it will have achieved something.Things like the new tyre and engine rules go a long way to achieving a good balance.
At the moment however it still seems the balance is in favour of the car over its tyres and driver.
Sticking a set of Michelins on a Minardi is not going to put it ahead of Ferrari (but maybe Jordan),putting TGF in the driving seat isn't going to help either.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 09:19 (Ref:1322165)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The best drivers tend to be in the best cars anyway - and the best drivers in the best cars tend to be the best at managing the tyres (Nurburgring aside!!)
Old 7 Jun 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1322433)   #6
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you really want to see racing, why not get rid of qualifying all together and have all the cars start in reverse order of the current points standings?

Fastest cars in back, slowest cars in front!

Then you'll see some racing!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1322493)   #7
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yep. The winner would earn his money, that's for sure.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 17:51 (Ref:1322541)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Why not make them qualify by seeing who can juggle knives whilst traversing a tightrope along the pitlane the quickest? Now that would be exciting!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1322591)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The best drivers are in the best cars although there's plenty of good drivers that deserve to be in F1 and so many ifs, and instead we have pay drivers or experienced drivers with the backing at the tail end that deserve a good ride.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1322616)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
The best drivers are in the best cars although there's plenty of good drivers that deserve to be in F1 and so many ifs, and instead we have pay drivers or experienced drivers with the backing at the tail end that deserve a good ride.
*edit:

The best drivers are in the best cars although there's plenty of good drivers that deserve to be in F1 and so many ifs, and instead we have pay drivers or experienced drivers with the backing at the tail end and the drivers that deserve to be in F1 not able because of this.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1322618)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That re-post is a coincidence luke!!!!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1322624)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
That re-post is a coincidence luke!!!!
And Btw Knowlesy I like your new avatar, we're not going to get a series of these leading up to Silverstone are we? or is it just the excitment and tension building up to the race?
Old 7 Jun 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1322638)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have quite a few made with well known quotes. I just like to change them, no doubt people are fed up with them, but they amuse me at least!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1322640)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I have quite a few made with well known quotes. I just like to change them, no doubt people are fed up with them, but they amuse me at least!
No no, not at all, they're brilliant, the James Allen ones were the best, keep them comming!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1322644)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't you two have messenger

Anyway, Best Driver or Best Car.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1322651)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yep, sorry, I appear to have hi-jacked the thread!

There I go again!

Anyways, regarding the thread subject...... I like to see the best combination of driver and technical package ultimately succeeding. But I also like to see the best technical package swinging from team to team, a rare thing. We have had a bit of that this year with the advantage swinging from Renault, to Ferrari for about five minutes, to McLaren. Who's next, Williams? Ferrari? Or back to Renault? Or will it be McLaren for the rest of the season? Intriguing stuff!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 23:21 (Ref:1322807)   #17
DKGandBH
Veteran

Ditto that last post...

So no more whinging about the new rules OK people

DKGandBH
Old 8 Jun 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1323015)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Who wants to see the best driver in the best car dominating? We all moaned when Schumi did that for the last 30 years. I'd ideally like to see the best driver in a bad car fighting against the best technical packages.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1323019)   #19
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every race should be won by the best driver of the race, not necessarily the absolute best, otherwise every season would be like 2004.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1323251)   #20
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
Every race should be won by the best driver of the race, not necessarily the absolute best, otherwise every season would be like 2004.
Now that`s a good one.
But ultimately, it`s about the tech of F1. The shuffling of the rules has been a way to get the driver back.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 16:46 (Ref:1323322)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Just goes to show you that it's not all about the package or the driver or the tyres, at's a combination.

People rant on about Michael being the best ever, maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but he can't win unless his car's the best package, as with alot of the other drivers.

Put a top driver in a Minardi or a Jordan, they will make it go quicker, but not quick enough.

Put a paying driver in the best car, they won't win.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1323370)   #22
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
This may sound simplistic, but I'm happy to see the best Car/Engine/Driver combo win. Notice I did not put tyres in there.