Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Dec 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2994705)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ford Motorsport Manager... Gooooonnnneeee!!!!

Story Here

27 races down in 2011... with a win score of 24 red, 3 blue... it arguably demonstrates itself as to some of the reasons...

Wonder who will be the replacement?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Dec 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2994715)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
thought you would have added that to the other six threads of the same name
Old 3 Dec 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2994718)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Mr Styrring added so much to the Ford program that he might have deserved his own

Its not great news in the lead up to the CotF process, the timing of renegotiation of deals at DJR, SBR & FPR...

Or is it another signal of disinterest from the Blue Oval?
Old 4 Dec 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2995170)   #4
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This just maybe the catalyst that Ford needs to bail out of the V8s !!
Old 4 Dec 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2995177)   #5
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
This just maybe the catalyst that Ford needs to bail out of the V8s !!
If we look at results from the whole V8 era (after the demise of group A) it probably would have been better if Ford never entered the category in the first place.........has it been a waste of money? Just look at the results this year and they get no help from VESA. Why continue to spend millions propping up the category only to have poor results damage sales? Manufacturers aren't just into racing for the sport, they need it to improve the bottom line.
Old 4 Dec 2011, 22:18 (Ref:2995226)   #6
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
If we look at results from the whole V8 era (after the demise of group A) it probably would have been better if Ford never entered the category in the first place.........has it been a waste of money? Just look at the results this year and they get no help from VESA. Why continue to spend millions propping up the category only to have poor results damage sales? Manufacturers aren't just into racing for the sport, they need it to improve the bottom line.
in a parity formula, both Ford and Holden teams have the same opportunity to win from a technical perspective.

It is how teams are managed and develop their cars that provides the difference in performance.

It is also about the manufacturer working with the teams to manage which teams run their cars and how those teams go about it. Howard Marsden showed that Ford could be successful if the whole process was managed properly - those that have come after him have simply fiddled while Rome burned. No help from VESA needed, Ford need a good operator in the role and work with the teams to get back in the right direction.
Old 4 Dec 2011, 22:43 (Ref:2995235)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
in the last ten years (the time mentioned in the article) they have won 6 of the ten championship, including 3 in a row leading up to this year

I fail to see the issue that you talk about and i am a ford fan.

I like to think ford fans are a bit more robust than that, and so i question your loyalty to the brand and suggest that maybe you should go shopping for some red glasses, they have always fitted the fairweather supporter better
Old 4 Dec 2011, 23:16 (Ref:2995251)   #8
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
in a parity formula, both Ford and Holden teams have the same opportunity to win from a technical perspective.

It is how teams are managed and develop their cars that provides the difference in performance.

It is also about the manufacturer working with the teams to manage which teams run their cars and how those teams go about it. Howard Marsden showed that Ford could be successful if the whole process was managed properly - those that have come after him have simply fiddled while Rome burned. No help from VESA needed, Ford need a good operator in the role and work with the teams to get back in the right direction.
Totally agree with your comments on Howard Marsden and I think you can add Geoff Polites too. But, the blunder to cut T8 has already been made and that undid most the their hard work. VESA could help with 14 red RECs and 14 blue RECs for a start.

After three straight losses at Bathurst (the last two with no blue teams even on the podium) the questions remain, is participating in the category actually hurting Ford's sales by merely providing holden with someone to beat? Who needs who most, Ford or VESA?

Maybe Ford should tell VESA "bugger your rules, we're going testing to catch up". What could VESA do about it, take action and push the series closer to one manufacturer? Ford need to grow some balls and take this mob on!
Old 4 Dec 2011, 23:24 (Ref:2995255)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Totally agree with your comments on Howard Marsden and I think you can add Geoff Polites too. But, the blunder to cut T8 has already been made and that undid most the their hard work. VESA could help with 14 red RECs and 14 blue RECs for a start.

After three straight losses at Bathurst (the last two with no blue teams even on the podium) the questions remain, is participating in the category actually hurting Ford's sales by merely providing holden with someone to beat? Who needs who most, Ford or VESA?

Maybe Ford should tell VESA "bugger your rules, we're going testing to catch up". What could VESA do about it, take action and push the series closer to one manufacturer? Ford need to grow some balls and take this mob on!
dont you see how you contradict yourself in that psot

Ford made a big blunder in cutting triple 8, but its V8S fault there not winning because triple 8 are beating them.
Old 4 Dec 2011, 23:47 (Ref:2995272)   #10
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
dont you see how you contradict yourself in that psot

Ford made a big blunder in cutting triple 8, but its V8S fault there not winning because triple 8 are beating them.
You can suit yourself mate. I was originally just replying to xcrstl's post about the possibility of Ford exiting the series.
Old 4 Dec 2011, 23:59 (Ref:2995277)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
You can suit yourself mate. I was originally just replying to xcrstl's post about the possibility of Ford exiting the series.

but you still said both of those things

Its like your asking for V8S to legislate against Fords ( massive international company) stupidity. thats never going to happen

You cant force Ford to sponsor more cars either,
Old 5 Dec 2011, 00:14 (Ref:2995284)   #12
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
but you still said both of those things

Its like your asking for V8S to legislate against Fords ( massive international company) stupidity. thats never going to happen

You cant force Ford to sponsor more cars either,
What I am trying to say is that Ford need to stop going to Bathurst every year like "lambs to the slaughter". In your previous post you referred to their successes in the championship. But I can't think of one year where they won both the championship and Bathurst.

But let's focus on this question: Who needs who more? Does Ford need VESA or does VESA need Ford?.........I'd like to see Ford take them on, holden won't leave because the category is their brainchild.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 00:34 (Ref:2995289)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
What I am trying to say is that Ford need to stop going to Bathurst every year like "lambs to the slaughter". In your previous post you referred to their successes in the championship. But I can't think of one year where they won both the championship and Bathurst.

But let's focus on this question: Who needs who more? Does Ford need VESA or does VESA need Ford?.........I'd like to see Ford take them on, holden won't leave because the category is their brainchild.
the last time ford won bathurst, they also won the championship. This is the first time Holden have done that since then. If you look back through history, you will see that Holden have a better bathurst record than ford, but Ford have a better championship record than Holden

Has Ford ever needed V8S, they have shown before that they are ready to walk away from racing, they made a significant reduction a few years ago (when they lost triple 8) There is only a limited budget for it.

this would also be the same for Holden, who can also walk away, no big deal.

that is why V8S have been looking at COTF so that they can reduce their manufacturer dependance and also introduce other manufacturers (did you say KIA )

(also just as a side issue, its no longer VESA or V8SA (they dropped the A from the name and are now just V8 Supercars)
Old 5 Dec 2011, 00:53 (Ref:2995295)   #14
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Ford people who made the decision to cut 888 are the motor racing equivalent of the Decca Records executive who passed on signing The Beatles.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 02:17 (Ref:2995314)   #15
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
the last time ford won bathurst, they also won the championship. This is the first time Holden have done that since then. If you look back through history, you will see that Holden have a better bathurst record than ford, but Ford have a better championship record than Holden

Has Ford ever needed V8S, they have shown before that they are ready to walk away from racing, they made a significant reduction a few years ago (when they lost triple 8) There is only a limited budget for it.

this would also be the same for Holden, who can also walk away, no big deal.

that is why V8S have been looking at COTF so that they can reduce their manufacturer dependance and also introduce other manufacturers (did you say KIA )

(also just as a side issue, its no longer VESA or V8SA (they dropped the A from the name and are now just V8 Supercars)
Someone said KIA........The Bathurst 1000, holden vs KIA........doesn't seem to have the same ring to it somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
The Ford people who made the decision to cut 888 are the motor racing equivalent of the Decca Records executive who passed on signing The Beatles.
Exactly.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 02:25 (Ref:2995317)   #16
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who cares if ford leaves? Motorsport is certainly their main priority....
Old 5 Dec 2011, 03:04 (Ref:2995330)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It is still interesting to consider that in the post-CotF world that 888 Race Engineering (as opposed to Team Vodafone..) are said to be looking to supply rolling chassis to both Ford and Holden teams.

So in a perverse way, 888 will still be building Fords, just operated by someone else... all Ford has to do is to endure they contribute enough sponduli to those customer teams.. and they get 888 involvement in their program by stealth
Old 5 Dec 2011, 04:02 (Ref:2995352)   #18
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It is still interesting to consider that in the post-CotF world that 888 Race Engineering (as opposed to Team Vodafone..) are said to be looking to supply rolling chassis to both Ford and Holden teams.

So in a perverse way, 888 will still be building Fords, just operated by someone else... all Ford has to do is to endure they contribute enough sponduli to those customer teams.. and they get 888 involvement in their program by stealth
GTR, T8 equipment didn't help PMM too much.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 04:04 (Ref:2995353)   #19
Peregrine
Racer

Australia
Emu Plains
Peregrine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Freudian slip ?
Old 5 Dec 2011, 04:12 (Ref:2995356)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
GTR, T8 equipment didn't help PMM too much.
Just because you buy a recipe book from Margaret Fulton doesnt mean you can make yourself a cake as well as she can, even if you follow the recipe to the letter...

That said, if you bought one of her cakes already made, its much closer to the original design than your own home efforts.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 04:21 (Ref:2995360)   #21
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Freudian slip ?
Lol.

Quote:
Just because you buy a recipe book from Margaret Fulton doesnt mean you can make yourself a cake as well as she can, even if you follow the recipe to the letter...

That said, if you bought one of her cakes already made, its much closer to the original design than your own home efforts.
I see your point.