Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 10 Nov 2003, 22:11 (Ref:779249)   #1
Chartman
Rookie

England
Hope Valley, England.
Chartman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MGCC Cockshoot Cup

I am in the process of race preparing an MG BGT to road standard spec and hope to race in the MGCC Cockshoot Cup next year. The official site does not have a forum so are there any Cockshoot Cuppers/MGB racers out there who can offer any help and advice.

Thanks

Chartman
Old 11 Nov 2003, 10:13 (Ref:779647)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Doesn't that also allow you to race in the MGBCV8 championship?
Old 11 Nov 2003, 10:29 (Ref:779657)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Cockshoot Cup website.

http://www.mgnwracing.co.uk/
Old 11 Nov 2003, 10:33 (Ref:779661)   #4
Chartman
Rookie

England
Hope Valley, England.
I believe the MGCC are looking at standardising the regs across all their championships for MGBs and Midgets so with the same car I should be able to enter the BCV8 Championship and the Phoenix Cup. I think this is a great idea as I intend to share the car and it means each driver can potentially race at the same meeting in the same car but in seperate championships (scrutineering and reliability allowing).
Old 11 Nov 2003, 10:44 (Ref:779667)   #5
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It does make me wonder why they haven't done it before...
Old 11 Nov 2003, 11:44 (Ref:779710)   #6
Mike Holmes
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Mike Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beware!!! my understanding is that Cockshoot has lost it's championship status for next season under the MSA shakeup (average number of starters less than 15). I would look at either BCV8 or Total Butler class C.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 11:51 (Ref:779713)   #7
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wasn't the origin of the Cockshoot Cup the 'Northern' MG championship and the 'Southern' one?

Why not just run one championship with common regs but count some of the rounds for a Northern prize and some for a Southern?
Old 11 Nov 2003, 14:19 (Ref:779862)   #8
Chartman
Rookie

England
Hope Valley, England.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Holmes
Beware!!! my understanding is that Cockshoot has lost it's championship status for next season under the MSA shakeup (average number of starters less than 15). I would look at either BCV8 or Total Butler class C.
That's very curious because this is a quote from the news page of their website We are pleased to announce that The Cockshoot Cup has been granted Full Championship Status by the MSA for 2004.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 15:02 (Ref:779905)   #9
Mike Holmes
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
I stand corrected, even CS competitors were telling me that it was non championship status for 2004. I wonder with it being run to the same regs as Total Butler whether they are going to run the two together? Apologies for the misleading information but I would suggest keeping an eye on it. Perhaps a call to Maggie Yeardon at MGCC would clarify it for you?
Old 11 Nov 2003, 15:18 (Ref:779923)   #10
Chartman
Rookie

England
Hope Valley, England.
I'm grateful for the warning - I hadn't realised how small some of the grids are (Anglesey only 6 cars). Maybe the MGCC, by aligning all the regs, are hoping to increase the grids for next year. I will contact the relevant championship coordinaters to find out the situation.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 15:34 (Ref:779940)   #11
Mike Holmes
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Come and play with us as well in Total Butler Anglia (formerly Phoenix!! but we are not allowed to call it that anymore) a class C car has won the championship for the last 3 years and we are a friendly bunch!! We normally have in excess of 20 starters per race so there is always someone to race against.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 15:47 (Ref:779951)   #12
Chartman
Rookie

England
Hope Valley, England.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Holmes
Come and play with us as well in Total Butler Anglia.
It's for that very reason I was pleased to see the planned alignment of the regs. Living in Deepcar it is easier and cheaper for me to race in a Northern based series - but it would be nice to also guest in other championships when they visit the northern circuits.
I am moving to the MGCC after being ripped off by the BRSCC for the last 2 years - £125 BRSCC membership + £150 championship registration compared to £28 MGCC membership and £25 Cockshoot Cup registration.
What is the registration fee for the Phoenix? Also how much are your race entry fees?
Old 11 Nov 2003, 18:29 (Ref:780136)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
According to the website the only regs that will be "universal" are those for "standard" class cars and you'll also fit into the BCV8. That's three races per meeting. Sounds good to me.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 20:13 (Ref:780237)   #14
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes immense sense to standardise the regs. Apparently the MGCC should be producing a booklet with all championship details within it. BCV8 sometomes also run at 750MC meetings meaning that entry fees should be low. There are also several non-champ endurance type races at the key meetings, low entry fees. Will also be able to run in Thoroughbreed races, which are usually run at the same meetings as BCV8. And you could always run in the MGCC speed champ if funding dries up!

However, I believe that the max overbore for MGCC regs will mean that the car is not legal for the MGOC / BARC champ. Is that correct anyone?

Must get in the garage and sort my 'B'!
Old 11 Nov 2003, 20:24 (Ref:780246)   #15
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just in case you need encouragement to do it, here's a picture of me at Goodwood (treating a friends MGB with care).. The car got rave reviews by all who got passenger laps, and was so much more fun than any other car I went in all day.
Attached Thumbnails
good10.jpg  
Old 12 Nov 2003, 00:11 (Ref:780453)   #16
Chartman
Rookie

England
Hope Valley, England.
The car looks good Dan. As you can see from this photo I have a long way to go with my £300 money pit. Looking forward to it though because it will be the first restoration/race prep I've been involved in. In the past I've purchased an already prepared race car.
Attached Thumbnails
lot of work to do.jpg  
Old 12 Nov 2003, 09:47 (Ref:780800)   #17
Mike Holmes
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Phoenix registration is £45 if my memory serves me correctly. Race entry fee's range from £160 for an MG meeting to £195 if we guest at BRSCC etc, most expensive of the year is Silverstone MGCC International Circuit but you get a test Friday, Qualify Saturday, Race Saturday and Sunday. I think that was around £250.
This year we visited: Silverstone,Mallory,Oulton,Rockingham,Silverstone International,Cadwell and Brands.
10 rounds 9 to count.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 10:09 (Ref:780818)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
And of course there's the annual Barry Sidery-Smith trip to Spa.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 11:23 (Ref:780885)   #19
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a very much under used MG Motorsport forum here:
http://www.british-cars.co.uk/cgi-bi...=motorsportbbs
It's a sister forum to the main MG BBS at mgcars.org, which Dan Friel knows well, I believe.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 08:29 (Ref:781765)   #20
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Chartman - I see from the photo that you should be out testing early next year then!

Should be a good project, and probably the cheapest restoration that you can do. And the site that Kelvin also points to is really useful for assitance / parts for sale.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 09:01 (Ref:781783)   #21
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Beware!!! my understanding is that Cockshoot has lost it's championship status for next season under the MSA shakeup (average number of starters less than 15). I would look at either BCV8 or Total Butler class C. "

I have been told that the Cockshoot Cup has been given an MSA championship grade D permit for 2003, & if you all support it, it will be running for many years to come.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 10:21 (Ref:781871)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
They say that on their website.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 14:33 (Ref:785009)   #23
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chartman if you want some really good value racing, the MGCC run endurance races at their meetings. £200 entry for 40 minutes, split between 2 drivers. That's 20 mins for £100! Beats championship races and speed events. That's what I've run my Midget in this year, and intend to do so in 2004.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 14:45 (Ref:785010)   #24
Chartman
Rookie

England
Hope Valley, England.
Thanks Midgetman, that is excellent value - especially as I hope to share my car. we've got a lot of work to do before we'll be ready to race but we'll be attending as many MGCC races as possible so hopefully we'll get to meet some of you and see what it's all about.
Does the MGCC have any Winter series?