Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Jan 2016, 12:10 (Ref:3608424)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Targa Tasmania

2016 marks the 25th Anniversary of the iconic Southern Hemisphere event. Full details here... http://targa.com.au/tc/page_standard.asp?asset_id=19237
Old 27 Jan 2016, 15:01 (Ref:3608478)   #2
JFW
Racer

JFW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a brilliant event, I would recommend it highly to anyone feeling bold enough.
Old 27 Jan 2016, 17:00 (Ref:3608505)   #3
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As my team-mate correctly points out, this is absolutely fabulous event. Getting there, and then getting to the finish (as a rookie), and penalty-free (having driven, largely at pace, through some of the most stunning scenery you'll ever see) to win a Targa Trophy on our first ever attempt at such an event will forever remain one of the satisfying adventures of my life (albeit I hope there might be more to come!). JFW on notes a major part of our success!

Event brilliant, atmosphere brilliant, people brilliant ... go do it - before someone decides it's too much fun!
Old 27 Jan 2016, 20:47 (Ref:3608542)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
It's always been on my bucket list, but whether manage to tick it off before I get too old is another matter! Need to start thinking ahead to 2018 (and saving up!), Gilbert Gilbern would be perfect for the event.

Can you remember how long does it take to ship cars over?
Old 27 Jan 2016, 21:45 (Ref:3608552)   #5
JFW
Racer

JFW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Mike, if you are serious James and I would be happy to talk you through it. It is probably one of the last true super scale motoring events. We were underprepared and somewhat fortunate. In the debrief we discussed a different approach for future. From memory we cleared 4 stages with less than 10 seconds to delta and reached the scenery once and went off notes many times. That's close over the kind of distances involved..

Happy to share those thoughts. The trophy sits in pride of place in my cabinet for sure.
Old 28 Jan 2016, 07:18 (Ref:3608617)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks. Have heard the odd story from James, but definitely keen to know more. When we did Tour Britannia in it showed what a super little tarmac rally car Gilbert was. TT seems to be at the top of competitive events still using roads and not just race tracks, so has always been on my radar....

Not sure if a good or bad thing, but reading the regs I've not found one mention yet of FIA, App ?? or HTP!

Assume the entry fee doesn't include accommodation?

Old 28 Jan 2016, 08:55 (Ref:3608628)   #7
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Not sure if a good or bad thing, but reading the regs I've not found one mention yet of FIA, App ?? or HTP!

Assume the entry fee doesn't include accommodation?

The technical regs are their own fairly unique view of the world, I'd be safe in saying they would welcome you and do whatever they could to make it easy for you to compete. If you have queries email any of the three listed on the bottom of page 41 of the current technical regs, I recommend talking to Scott, he actually got the Targa regs back under control before he moved on to CAMS.

Unfortunately, accommodation is your own extra, but they can arrange it for you to suit your requirements.

The hardest, yet most rewarding thing I've ever managed was to secure a Gold plate. Unfortunately the return a couple of years later only made stage 13 when one of those monster trees decided to walk in front of the car.

If you get here you'll be hooked.

John
Old 28 Jan 2016, 14:05 (Ref:3608699)   #8
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Mike do you know how it compares to the Dunlop Targa in NZ? (I did 3 days support for a pal on the latter some years ago - stunningly good event and people)
Old 28 Jan 2016, 19:08 (Ref:3608787)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks John for the info.

David- have no idea regarding comparison with other S. Hemisphere events!