Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 26 Feb 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2138309)   #1
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton 40th Anniversary F2 Meeting

All those of us that marshalled and raced at the original Easter Monday F2 meeting at Thruxton in 1968 have been invited with partners as guests to lunch at this year's 40th anniversary of the event.
This is a really nice gesture by the BARC, and I have already accepted, and am interested to see who else is going.
Old 26 Feb 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2138324)   #2
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did not Marshal at the first meeting, but marshalled for the F2 meetings during the 70's, often at the Chicane when the armo was at the edge of the track and on the yellow flag the first you knew of an incident was feeling the armo rattle your back, highly dangerous but bl++dy good fun. Anyway I shall be marshalling there this year with M Shalders and all the other loonies, so hope to catch up with you then Dave

Bladders
Old 26 Feb 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2138340)   #3
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin, it were brill, weren't it?
I marshalled at every F2 meeting at Thruxton, and always regarded it as the best meeting of the year. I enjoyed it more than the Grand Prix, and with so many of the GP drivers racing, and two heats and a final as well; it was awesome!
Old 26 Feb 2008, 12:42 (Ref:2138350)   #4
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have also received and will accept the invitation, although it will mean missing the trucks at Brands Hatch. I was a flaggie in those days, before moving to Startline in the early '80s.
Old 26 Feb 2008, 20:34 (Ref:2138680)   #5
NotLordPercy
Racer

NotLordPercy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking through my copious amounts of memorabilia (!), I find I was flagging at Esses In at Snetts on Good Friday 1968. European 500ks with over 40 entries. Monday 15th and I was at Post 5 at Brands for Easter Monday Trophy Races with Special Sallons & F 3s. Chief flag Marshal Monty Terrell.
And , gosh, I had marshalled at 5 Brands meetings already before Easter including the BOAC 500 where I was attacked by the gas turbine Howmet with a jammed throttle and also the Race of Champions.
And, I done another Snetts meeting on 24th March and......Midland A C clubbie at Woodcote apex on 30th March. Seems like only yesterday standing on that narrow apex with cars right under your nose!!

But I will be at Thruxton at Easter & look forward to meeting the Vass again in civilised surroundings. And the others of course....
Old 26 Feb 2008, 21:14 (Ref:2138705)   #6
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
TFHarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't even a twinkle in my farthers eye at that time but it still I have to smile when I think how dedicated marshals are to have been with it all those years.

I can't wait to get to know some of you guru's of the circuits and learn the tricks of the trade that the training doesn't show you I do feel I missed out on some years of eligability for it now as it was only last year I found out that marshalling was surprisingly easy to get involved in.

to you all for sticking with it for so long and I hope that far down the line I may get to be involved in some historic events too
Old 16 Jun 2008, 13:48 (Ref:2230077)   #7
Robertino24
Rookie

Robertino24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLordPercy
Looking through my copious amounts of memorabilia (!), I find I was flagging at Esses In at Snetts on Good Friday 1968. European 500ks with over 40 entries. Monday 15th and I was at Post 5 at Brands for Easter Monday Trophy Races with Special Sallons & F 3s. Chief flag Marshal Monty Terrell.
And , gosh, I had marshalled at 5 Brands meetings already before Easter including the BOAC 500 where I was attacked by the gas turbine Howmet with a jammed throttle and also the Race of Champions.
And, I done another Snetts meeting on 24th March and......Midland A C clubbie at Woodcote apex on 30th March. Seems like only yesterday standing on that narrow apex with cars right under your nose!!

But I will be at Thruxton at Easter & look forward to meeting the Vass again in civilised surroundings. And the others of course....
Hi, my Uncle was Monty Terrell. Sadly, he died circa 1980; don't know exactly when. I am trying to gather information about him. Anything that you, or any of the other guys on the site could tell me, would be most appreciated
Old 16 Jun 2008, 14:49 (Ref:2230107)   #8
wild hipo
Racer

wild hipo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I will have to see if i get a invite. It was 1970 my first F2 meeting. They were the good old days and i am glad to be part of them.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2231174)   #9
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertino24
Hi, my Uncle was Monty Terrell. Sadly, he died circa 1980; don't know exactly when. I am trying to gather information about him. Anything that you, or any of the other guys on the site could tell me, would be most appreciated
I would open a new thread in Marshals Forum if I were you. I think you'll find a few of us old enough to remember Monty.....and young enough to be able to use an internet forum!
Old 20 Jun 2008, 09:09 (Ref:2233234)   #10
wild hipo
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade
Did not Marshal at the first meeting, but marshalled for the F2 meetings during the 70's, often at the Chicane when the armo was at the edge of the track and on the yellow flag the first you knew of an incident was feeling the armo rattle your back, highly dangerous but bl++dy good fun. Anyway I shall be marshalling there this year with M Shalders and all the other loonies, so hope to catch up with you then Dave

Bladders
I can rember them times very well. A bit hetic when you had 32 F5000 comeing at you. And sometimes if the drivers did not behave themselves we used to give them a tap on the head with our flags. I can rember one time when we had 3 or 4 F2 off in the chicane two of us flag marshals used to run out onto the track with yellow flags and make the drivers go between us it was bloody dangerous but good fun. Anogther good post in them days was COBB when the cars used to go to the left or right of you. Looking back at the championships in them days it was great. You had two heats and a final of FF, F5000, F2, F Atlantic, Special Saloon Car Championship (G2), and the list carry"s on. Yes it was nice to be marshalling in those days. I have only touched the tip of the iceburg at the things i got up to in them days as a marshal.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 11:21 (Ref:2233364)   #11
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild hipo
I can rember one time when we had 3 or 4 F2 off in the chicane two of us flag marshals used to run out onto the track with yellow flags and make the drivers go between us it was bloody dangerous but good fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild hipo
I have only touched the tip of the iceburg at the things i got up to in them days as a marshal.
Just glad you're still around to tell us about them

(..not directed at anyone but to this day, still can't understand the need,at any time, for some flag Marshals desire to get trackside )
Old 20 Jun 2008, 18:18 (Ref:2233661)   #12
wild hipo
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslammer

Just glad you're still around to tell us about them

(..not directed at anyone but to this day, still can't understand the need,at any time, for some flag Marshals desire to get trackside )
So am i glad to still be around. I"ll have to write a book sometime on the exploites of a race marshal. " The First XX Years"!!
Old 20 Jun 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2233779)   #13
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we used to give them a tap on the head with our flags

Remember it well, it still sends a shudder up the spine!!!!

Bladders..............