Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Jun 2001, 11:11 (Ref:107292)   #1
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ozemail Finally Sign Co-Driver for Enduro's

Great Scot ! OzEmail Sign Co-driver

Australia’s premier motorsport events, the Bathurst 1000 and Queensland 500 will again have a truly international flavour with the signing today of two time British Touring Car Champ, John Cleland as co-driver to the OzEmail Racing Team.

Cleland, who still resides in his motherland, Scotland will join Brad Jones for both endurance rounds at Bathurst and Queensland Raceway as well as an additional test session prior to the Queensland event in August.

Cleland is no stranger to Australian motorsport, particularly Bathurst where he has competed on seven previous occasions. All starting in 1993, when he teamed with racing icon Peter Brock, finishing 12th. His best finish at the mountain in a V8 Supercar was 6th in 1995 with Tony Scott and joined current Australian Champion Mark Skaife in 1996 to finish 7th. In recent times, Cleland has partnered Cameron McLean (1999) and Rodney Forbes (2000).

Cleland does not hide his enthusiasm for racing in Australian and has developed a passion for the high horsepower, V8 category.

“I am delighted to be joining Brad and the team at OzEmail Racing. I love coming back to Australia every year and competing in what is now arguably the most competitive touring car category in the world and doing it this year with a super-professional team like OzEmail will make in even more enjoyable”, said Cleland today.

“I will be making an additional trip this year to do some testing with Brad just before the Queensland 500. This will work out well as I have yet to drive the AU Falcon and I can’t wait to be back behind the wheel of a V8 Supercar again”, Cleland concluded.

The signing of John Cleland for the endurance races has ended a 4 month search for the right co-driver for the OzEmail Racing Team.

“Kim (Jones) and I had considered a number of options, both nationally and internationally, before agreeing to terms with John. Our goal was find someone that was both experienced and fast”, said team driver Brad Jones.

“John is a seasoned Bathurst campaigner who has regularly finished in the top ten. He knows what it takes to be competitive and he also knows what it takes to win. And the added advantage is that he is a great person and well renown for being easy to work with and a team player”, Brad added.

“With Ford Racing making major in-roads into the championship this year, it is a further bonus to have a driver of the calibre of John Cleland behind the wheel of a Ford for these races”, Brad concluded.

Apart from the obvious benefits of experience and speed, Cleland brings further advantages to the OzEmail Racing Team. Being of similar size and stature to Brad Jones, there will be minimal modifications required to the OzEmail Falcon when he frantically jumps into the car at driver changes, therefore making pit stops at the endurance races faster. Also with the Queensland 500 brought forward to August this year, Cleland will be leaving the British summer to join the team. This will eliminate the need to acclimatise for the balmy Queensland weather.

With their endurance campaign now firmly cemented, it is now time for the OzEmail Racing Team to build on their current 20th position in the Shell Championship Series during the coming Perth, Calder and Oran Park rounds.

The team have maintained a vigorous early season testing regime with further time spent at Winton this week. The focus of the OzEmail outfit leading into these three events will be improving the Ford’s qualifying performance. Attention is being given to getting more gain from “green” tyres during the qualifying sessions.

Ends.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 11:59 (Ref:107321)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow! That's a fair pick up for Bradley...they obviously know each other from the Super Touring days, and a few V8 Bathurst. I reckon they'll make a half decent combination. At least he wont be racing with Rod this year
Old 21 Jun 2001, 03:22 (Ref:107676)   #3
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
May I be the first.............

CLELAND!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 21 Jun 2001, 03:29 (Ref:107679)   #4
RaceTime
Veteran

Hah! Bit biased aren't you? Barracking for a foreigner? What about JONES!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21 Jun 2001, 03:35 (Ref:107681)   #5
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think I'd like to be betting on which of them is quickest, you're quite right there, Race Time.

Be nice to see Bradley score in the big car, too.
Old 21 Jun 2001, 03:40 (Ref:107684)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see Cleland coming back to Australia. Good luck to him!
Old 21 Jun 2001, 03:49 (Ref:107688)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nothing to do with nationalities, it's just an in joke. Old hands here like Craig et al will know what I'm on about.
Old 21 Jun 2001, 03:52 (Ref:107689)   #8
RaceTime
Veteran

Well, come on, stop being selfish - spill the beans! (or should that be spill the haggis?
Old 21 Jun 2001, 04:06 (Ref:107691)   #9
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, of course. In jokes are out...
Old 21 Jun 2001, 04:12 (Ref:107695)   #10
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
Yes, of course. In jokes are out...
Does that make them gay jokes then?
Old 21 Jun 2001, 04:53 (Ref:107706)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whatever happened to MULLLLEEEEERRRRRR!!!!!

I think it has something to do with English people who like to yell....
Old 21 Jun 2001, 13:53 (Ref:107883)   #12
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
awesome!! the Jones bros are turning the Ozemail outfit into a very decent team, they deserve a top driver, and Cleland in my view is. Not in contention for the win you would have to say, but certainly if they play their cards right a top 5 place at Bathurst is not tottaly out of the question. well, aiming a little high maybe........
Old 22 Jun 2001, 00:35 (Ref:108117)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Nono, I wouldn't put that past them. As Race Time will tell you, they are master strategists, and anything can and probably will happen at Bathurst. If there is 1997 styled attrition, and they stay near the front at the right end of the day, then they would be a decent shot at a podium.
Old 22 Jun 2001, 00:46 (Ref:108124)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

Crash - very true. I was speaking to Kim Jones a month or so ago about the team and how they were finding it. As he put it - more difficult than they thought it would be BUT they are getting there and learning all the time. With NASCAR/AUSCAR they had been in it for quite some time and knew the ropes and tricks. Same with ST's. V8's they had to learn from scratch again though and this has taken time.