Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 31 Jan 2019, 23:12 (Ref:3881002)   #1401
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Really?

Do they still play the National Anthem?
The guy that plays the organ that pops up through the floor now arrives using a zimmer frame and the cheap seats are more than 1/9
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Feb 2019, 05:10 (Ref:3881047)   #1402
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Although it smells of past use Dont tell the bride…*
Old 1 Feb 2019, 06:18 (Ref:3881052)   #1403
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Been reading the Haynes Race Preparation by Simon Mcbeath.Quite a good read for me.Although it smells of past use....
It’s what’s written that important, not what the book smells like!
Old 1 Feb 2019, 06:40 (Ref:3881057)   #1404
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I see that the two BTCC drivers who flew all the way to Oz for the Bathurst race this weekend now have no drive, as the 3rd driver binned the car in FP...... Beach, anyone?
Old 1 Feb 2019, 06:46 (Ref:3881058)   #1405
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I see that the two BTCC drivers who flew all the way to Oz for the Bathurst race this weekend now have no drive, as the 3rd driver binned the car in FP...... Beach, anyone?
Yep... and as it was in the Am only P1 Shedden and Neal never even got a lap in.

https://twitter.com/gordonshedden/st...3%26start%3D15

As for the beach Bathurst is a 3 hours drive (over 200 klms) from one of them!
Old 1 Feb 2019, 06:56 (Ref:3881060)   #1406
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Yep... and as it was in the Am only P1 Shedden and Neal never even got a lap in.

As for the beach Bathurst is a 3 hours drive (over 200 klms) from one of them!
I’d be looking for a flight to Cairns.....
Old 1 Feb 2019, 07:05 (Ref:3881063)   #1407
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At least they're warm...I woke up this morning to find the boiler had failed Too much snow on the ground for the engineer to get through. Unfortunately my spare electric heater is in the truck, several snowdrifts away.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Feb 2019, 07:11 (Ref:3881065)   #1408
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
At least they're warm...I woke up this morning to find the boiler had failed Too much snow on the ground for the engineer to get through. Unfortunately my spare electric heater is in the truck, several snowdrifts away.
Anyone would think you’re in Chicago! Where’s that British resolve.....
Old 1 Feb 2019, 07:21 (Ref:3881068)   #1409
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I'll be more sympathetic than Mike, having been through boiler dramas of my own recently! Fortunately it was all sorted before the snow arrived.

The boiler man has put some sort of gel into the system - I suppose the equivalent of antifreeze in the car - which should put an end to the succession of burst pipes I had previously suffered, all in the same room. So far, so good.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 07:30 (Ref:3881071)   #1410
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It’s what’s written that important, not what the book smells like!
Right! Go for a second hand book with plastic laminated pages…
Old 1 Feb 2019, 09:12 (Ref:3881082)   #1411
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Anyone would think you’re in Chicago! Where’s that British resolve.....
It's Brexit-ed
Old 1 Feb 2019, 09:53 (Ref:3881085)   #1412
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
It's Brexit-ed
It’s not a nice thing to happen in this weather, so apologies for joking about it. Worst that happened in my world was many years ago when on Xmas eve, the calor gas supply to the family Aga failed! And big family lunch planned the next day..... I called the emergency number, and told an engineer what had happened. He was great and told me over the phone how to break open the safety valve (that had apparently flipped due to ‘dew point’ prob) and reset it. It was a case of- ‘Now, I shouldn’t be telling you this, but.....’

Old 1 Feb 2019, 10:58 (Ref:3881089)   #1413
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My wife is convinced that ours is the ONLY heating system in the world that ever has glitches when it has some demand placed on it and insists, every time, that we need a new boiler.

Every time I point out that the problem is crud in the microbore pipe system and that, while a new boiler is probably about due, without sorting out the crud in the heating it probably will not make much difference to "failure" rates.

The crud is quite well fixed now, despite a series of chemical treatments, and really needs the radiators to be removed and flushed to be relatively sure about what is going on. Even better would be to eliminate the microbore pipes but that is not a trivial job. She flatly refuses to consider new pipes or removing and flushing the radiators.

This has been a battle for some years.

Having borrowed a commercial filter system a few times and having managed to demonstrate that I can, with the filter and chemicals, bring the heating back to life quite quickly, I eventually bought my own filter system on the basis that whatever happens with a boiler replacement the system still needs to be well flushed and doing so when it starts to fail shows that the main problem is indeed the pipework not (yet) the boiler.

I think the message is getting through these days but every now and again there seems to be a relapse and a rant about getting a "new boiler" which would most likely be a less than successful exercise.

When it's very cold for more than 24 hours the condensate drain from the boiler freezes as in the early days installation policy was to run the pipe outside ASAP. So our goes through a hole in the wall and then down the wall, across a flatish roof and into a gutter that does not flow away rapidly.

Given 24hours of sub-zero cold it can all freeze up and backs up into the boiler tripping a safety switch. Fixed by clearing the gutter of ice. Sometimes the external pipe as well. Easy enough.

How complicated some of our first world problems can become ...
Old 1 Feb 2019, 12:57 (Ref:3881117)   #1414
midgetman
Veteran

My boiler seems to pre-date having a plastic condensate pipe on the outside of the house I've tried pouring hot water over the box on the outside wall, all I managed to do was flood the utility room.

Still, it's all good practice for April when my European-supplied gas supply will be cut off and all I'll be able to eat will be Magnum ice creams. I can't even keep myself warm in my panic-bought Speed Racewear because it's the other side of the village snowed into the office.

And still they come on Jeremy Vine - "eee it were no problem back in the sixties, drivers today can't handle it." Forgetting that in the sixties tyres were a fraction of the width of today and cars put out less power than my lawn mower!
Old 1 Feb 2019, 14:02 (Ref:3881133)   #1415
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Did someone start an avatar contest? Mike's ahead…
Old 1 Feb 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3881135)   #1416
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
My boiler is 40+ years old and only has three things to go wrong, it costs a fortune to run but is probably cheaper in the long run than the constant horror stories and expense I hear about the modern ones
Old 1 Feb 2019, 14:17 (Ref:3881138)   #1417
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We had a new boiler in 2001(?) It packed up last summer so we've got a new one. The new one cost less than the old one. I discovered that new build homes are all electric. You can'r specify gas anymore.

Electricity is less efficient than gas and more expensive to run, but a lot less to install. Apparently this is a good selling point. The fact that your storage heater is pumping out energy when the temperature has suddenly increased and then its cold when the temperature reverses is not an issue.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 15:35 (Ref:3881151)   #1418
midgetman
Veteran

We hd storage heaters for a time, and they were rubbish. I'm using very expensive electric panel heaters today, I thought about using my space heater from the awning but it's a bit smelly....
Old 1 Feb 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3881153)   #1419
midgetman
Veteran

I see Motor Sport wil soon be out with its re-vamp

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/m...L4s8lwQk9wqOxk

I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 15:48 (Ref:3881156)   #1420
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Did someone start an avatar contest? Mike's ahead…
For February- Tango 924! At Spa, of course....

Different one every month.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 16:40 (Ref:3881162)   #1421
midgetman
Veteran

Good news! Whatever it was that had frozen on my heating has now thawed out and the boiler is working again
Old 1 Feb 2019, 16:47 (Ref:3881163)   #1422
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
For February- Tango 924! At Spa, of course...
After this, dont even think about telling me about jumping on the kerbs, Mike! My bet is the picture is when entering "Les combes". During the three last races I did there I was lucky enough to have four nice conversations with CoC's after Q! I loved when the outside of Pouhon was in gravel, not in tarmac. I thought wherever you find tarmac, you can go. Not in Belgium…
Old 1 Feb 2019, 16:52 (Ref:3881165)   #1423
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Good news! Whatever it was that had frozen on my heating has now thawed out and the boiler is working again
Good news, Max!

I saw Chippenham - or at least the M4 - on TV at lunchtime. It looked a bit grim. There's a steady thaw going on here now so perhaps it will be a nice weekend (he says optimistically).
Old 1 Feb 2019, 17:31 (Ref:3881170)   #1424
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
My boiler seems to pre-date having a plastic condensate pipe on the outside of the house I've tried pouring hot water over the box on the outside wall, all I managed to do was flood the utility room.

How old is it Max?

For the past 10 years or so (AFIAK) the condensate pipes (for a condensing boiler) have to run to an internal soil pipe location.

Condensing boilers probably only became a big thing somewhere around the early 90s. Our current boiler was installed in 2002 iirc and directly replaced a model that was about 10 or 11 years older and had been installed at a time when there was a Govt. grant incentive deal to make the change for reasons of efficiency (plus promised but non-existent fuel cost savings.)

The original boiler in the house had only lasted about 11 or 12 years before a catastrophic failure (despite a lot of work on it during that time). However, other locals with the same boiler have only changed theirs much more recently and at least one is, from what he told me a couple of months ago, still using the original.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 20:05 (Ref:3881213)   #1425
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
For John E- Don’t know if you ever spent any time (or money) at Norwich Market when you were working up here- but it’s a completely different experience now to when I were a lad...

https://www.edp24.co.uk/business/nor...2019-1-5874829