Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Mar 2019, 15:36 (Ref:3892168)   #2701
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah now I understand.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 16:53 (Ref:3892180)   #2702
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
No you don’t! And Mike H is correct, Grant, the ugly bit at the back of the boat is where the cars go......
Old 20 Mar 2019, 16:58 (Ref:3892185)   #2703
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So there could have been 911 Porsches on the ship instead there were only 72.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 17:06 (Ref:3892195)   #2704
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
At least Porsche have volunteered to make some more GT2RS versions for their Brazil customers, to replace those lost! Must have a spare batch of chassis numbers......
Old 20 Mar 2019, 17:08 (Ref:3892201)   #2705
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well more money they’ve lost though, even if they are doing the right thing to replace them. Seems this incident could come back to bite them
Old 20 Mar 2019, 17:15 (Ref:3892205)   #2706
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I believe that it was a dual purpose cargo ship that carried both vehicles and containers.

At least one of the photos from that link shows the vehicle ramp at the stern.

You're right. For some reason those photos did not appear until after I had posted.

I could imagine some special Porsches being containerised for security but wondered about Audi A3s.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 17:25 (Ref:3892211)   #2707
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah. The internet can be a bit slow. Not good to lose all those cars and then another. All that money down to the bottom of the sea
Old 20 Mar 2019, 17:34 (Ref:3892214)   #2708
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yeah. The internet can be a bit slow. Not good to lose all those cars and then another. All that money down to the bottom of the sea

It's not as much as you might think.

Most would be worthless in 10 years time.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 17:35 (Ref:3892216)   #2709
S griffin
Veteran

Well maybe not. But still not good to see them go down. Time will tell I guess
Old 20 Mar 2019, 18:13 (Ref:3892223)   #2710
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Indeed. Here downunder, the Cayman and Boxsters are often referred to as the 718 range.
Mike's favorite because he loves the four cylinder song… I won't worry too much about the money they lost Porsche probably being the most profitable brand. May be the insurance company will suffer.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 18:21 (Ref:3892234)   #2711
S griffin
Veteran

I wonder why he loves it so much. Maybe you’re right, maybe this is just a drop in the ocean (or should I say sea) for Porsche, who have plenty of money to replace. The insurance company as you said will probably be the most worried
Old 20 Mar 2019, 18:40 (Ref:3892248)   #2712
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You wonder why "who" loves it so much? And it was an ocean.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3892251)   #2713
S griffin
Veteran

Mike loves the sound. Still anymore news on this development?
Old 20 Mar 2019, 19:34 (Ref:3892264)   #2714
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Important announcement!

Today is definitely Delta's birthday....

Happy 'clickety-click', Bud!

Happy birthday, youngster
Old 20 Mar 2019, 19:37 (Ref:3892265)   #2715
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike's favorite because he loves the four cylinder song… I won't worry too much about the money they lost Porsche probably being the most profitable brand. May be the insurance company will suffer.
On the topic of 718 Caymans, unless I misunderstood or was misinformed, the GT4 version (that seems very competitive) still uses the flat six. Could be a homologation thing, of course, rather than the flat four being rubbish.....
Old 20 Mar 2019, 19:41 (Ref:3892268)   #2716
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
This has got to be a nightmare for any car manufacturer, let alone Porsche!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...st-France.html

Fascinating Daily Fail reporting..."the ship ran aground at 15000 feet depth"....technically I suppose it could be counted as running aground......but I think just "caught fire and sank" might be more accurate
Old 20 Mar 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3892269)   #2717
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
We've covered that bit already. Do keep up!
Old 20 Mar 2019, 19:51 (Ref:3892270)   #2718
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Cant say Mike, may be displacement calculated with a turbo? When you see how long they had successes with the rear engined 911 outdated for some years they did great. OK with many cars involved each time, tip top drivers and good privates teams it helped. Hope they will develop the Cayman to try and beat the cavallino rampante. A matter of BOP nowadays sadly…
Old 20 Mar 2019, 20:04 (Ref:3892273)   #2719
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Cant say Mike, may be displacement calculated with a turbo? When you see how long they had successes with the rear engined 911 outdated for some years they did great. OK with many cars involved each time, tip top drivers and good privates teams it helped. Hope they will develop the Cayman to try and beat the cavallino rampante. A matter of BOP nowadays sadly…
Watching US GT4 races recently, the Cayman seems to be catching on quickly, and winning. Of course, the legendary Porsche Customer Racing support probably helps! I think the race version has to be homologated for the particular category. That was already in the process of being done when the car had 6 cylinders, and it’s not a quick process to change, even if they wanted to.

Or I could be talking a load of balloney.......
Old 20 Mar 2019, 20:40 (Ref:3892277)   #2720
S griffin
Veteran

Well it seems the Caymen is doing well in US series and that is good to see, especially for a race version. Certainly it’ll be interesting to see what different spec they will go for

I think time will tell how well they do
Old 20 Mar 2019, 20:40 (Ref:3892278)   #2721
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Watching US GT4 races recently, the Cayman seems to be catching on quickly, and winning. Of course, the legendary Porsche Customer Racing support probably helps! I think the race version has to be homologated for the particular category. That was already in the process of being done when the car had 6 cylinders, and it’s not a quick process to change, even if they wanted to.

Or I could be talking a load of balloney.......
Was that at COTA.Watched those races,very good.The first GT3 race was ridicoulous watching the 2 Bentleys be 30 seconds clear after 90 minutes.Good racing though.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 20:49 (Ref:3892288)   #2722
S griffin
Veteran

COTA is getting more popular. Glad to see more races there. Bet you get all kinds of stuff happening in that GT series. And the racing is bound to be good
Old 20 Mar 2019, 22:07 (Ref:3892302)   #2723
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Was that at COTA.Watched those races,very good.The first GT3 race was ridicoulous watching the 2 Bentleys be 30 seconds clear after 90 minutes.Good racing though.
Always good to see the Bentleys winning..... until they hit the steering wheel mounted abort button.

I may not have lived there for 35 years, but Im still proudly British....

Old 20 Mar 2019, 22:22 (Ref:3892312)   #2724
S griffin
Veteran

Well they deserve it, although hitting the steering wheel sounds weird

Well you never forget your routes, be proud of your heritage
Old 21 Mar 2019, 06:17 (Ref:3892371)   #2725
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Always good to see the Bentleys winning..... until they hit the steering wheel mounted abort button.

I may not have lived there for 35 years, but Im still proudly British....
The Conti GTs have a lot of fans all over the world. Watching those bad boys going over the mountain at Bathurst is as good as it gets! AND the noise......

But as we discussed at the time, whoever decided to put the kill switch so close to the pit lane limiter obviously didn’t consider the implications when a ‘professional’ driver took over the car......