Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Sep 2022, 19:48 (Ref:4127407)   #101
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC & Juniors were the saving graces of the day. F4 was just crashing and the others were pretty forgettable. The first Mini race became very spread out very quickly but it was impressive to see the top 2 pull out a huge gap in race 2.

Bobby Thompson & Aron Taylor-Smith are my drivers of the day for getting those **** heaps into the top 10.
Old 25 Sep 2022, 20:36 (Ref:4127413)   #102
5five
Rookie

5five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick bennett View Post
Watching it on the box, there seemed a very small crowd present ? Grandstands half empty.
I can assure you the crowd today was packed. I'd argue there was a better attendance for this than Moto GP - didn't even notice that event was on, and you could clearly tell today that many car parks were full and so were the grandstands. IIRC more stands were open this year too, with Silverstone Six and BRDC open which I don't believe last year, plus all of Woodcote, Luffield and part of Copse.
Old 25 Sep 2022, 22:24 (Ref:4127421)   #103
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's quite a few on here that could do with shutting down the internet, switching off the TV and instead spend some time trackside just enjoying the racing rather than endlessly analysing & criticising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5five View Post
I can assure you the crowd today was packed. I'd argue there was a better attendance for this than Moto GP - didn't even notice that event was on, and you could clearly tell today that many car parks were full and so were the grandstands. IIRC more stands were open this year too, with Silverstone Six and BRDC open which I don't believe last year, plus all of Woodcote, Luffield and part of Copse.
Even with the traffic management and the Dadford Road seeming to move freely, I was still queueing to get out of the car park at gone 7pm, so I'd agree there was a decent crowd.
Old 26 Sep 2022, 08:40 (Ref:4127471)   #104
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Some great racing throughout, especially in the BTCC.

Great 1-2-3 result for Butcher, about time he won a race this season. Always been up there. Nice to see his team mate Collard up there too, shame he had that frightening fire in R2

Hill really looked on it this weekend, I am sure he is ready for the title. As for Colin, to say his weekend was a catastrophe would be an understatement. Poor qualifying left him in the danger zone of the midfield and after his R1 retirement, he struggled to get any points. However he's still in the title fight and those points he did pick up might come in handy

Tingram still looking strong and good solid weekend from Sutton puts him on top. Ash has really got on top of that Ford and will be tough to beat at Brands. But it's not over yet, still quite close at the top. The neutral in me wants to see Tingram taking the title after years of coming close.

Nice to see Jackson and Taylor-Smith up there after tough seasons. Also seems Chilton is finally at one with his Hyundai

Quite a few incidents in the races, but pack racing can be like that at times. Didn't anything malicious in the incidents.

Support action was a bit mixed. F4 had quite a few incidents in one race and the last one never got going. Ginetta Juniors were good as ever, despite the penalties. We are going to miss them

Anyway roll on Brands, should be a great event to go to
Old 26 Sep 2022, 10:08 (Ref:4127483)   #105
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
Oh stop being so soft.
It's not being soft, it's called asking for some manners and respect.
Old 26 Sep 2022, 10:52 (Ref:4127490)   #106
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySpeed View Post
It's not being soft, it's called asking for some manners and respect.
Especially after previously upsetting the family and them reaching out with a kind offer to meet them and do a garage tour. Offer accepted then this continuing output.

It’s really poor form and one of the negative aspects of online forums. Just one word that makes the post pretty unacceptable in my view. There’s just no need…
Old 26 Sep 2022, 11:01 (Ref:4127491)   #107
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Silverstone both days this weekend and it all seemed as busy as ever.

Won VIP parking with Halfords that helped me get closer to the track and every time I’ve entered I’ve won. Worth doing for Brands Hatch if they run the competition for there.

I did a dash for the car with a few laps to go and listened to the race 3 conclusion on the Silverstone radio channel. Got me off and away before the mass departure.

I’m surprised that more car dealers don’t attend with some stock. The Toyota Supra and Yaris GR models there were about all there was…
Old 26 Sep 2022, 12:39 (Ref:4127500)   #108
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
would you tell that to turkington's face right now ?
Yes. Everyone who races an NGTC spec car knows what comes with it. There are people racing who wouldn't be on the grid if they had to fork out for more expensive components if the weaknesses weren't built in to the spec.
Old 26 Sep 2022, 18:42 (Ref:4127557)   #109
mattcanary
Racer

mattcanary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
BTCC & Juniors were the saving graces of the day. F4 was just crashing and the others were pretty forgettable. The first Mini race became very spread out very quickly but it was impressive to see the top 2 pull out a huge gap in race 2.

Bobby Thompson & Aron Taylor-Smith are my drivers of the day for getting those **** heaps into the top 10.
I thought both the Minis and Porsches on Sunday produced good racing. Yes, both races involved only two drivers contesting the win, but they put on a great show, I thought. The Minis get criticised for being a red flag magnet series, but those two raced really hard and fair with each other
Old 26 Sep 2022, 18:49 (Ref:4127559)   #110
mattcanary
Racer

mattcanary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought this was the day that proved Jake Hill would make a worthy champion.

He was immense all day. Far quicker than Colin Turkington and Stephen Jelley, whilst pulling off some great moves. Managing that safety car restart from the lead was superb too.

He has improved considerably over the course of this season. Always quick, but his ability in and amongst traffic has really improved.
Old 26 Sep 2022, 20:11 (Ref:4127574)   #111
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcanary View Post
I thought both the Minis and Porsches on Sunday produced good racing. Yes, both races involved only two drivers contesting the win, but they put on a great show, I thought. The Minis get criticised for being a red flag magnet series, but those two raced really hard and fair with each other
Minis were great. Battle for 3rd was about 8 cars together for the whole race. Keeping saying, it but it's so frustrating that they had two other races we saw nothing of.
Old 26 Sep 2022, 20:15 (Ref:4127575)   #112
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcanary View Post
Thought this was the day that proved Jake Hill would make a worthy champion.

He was immense all day. Far quicker than Colin Turkington and Stephen Jelley, whilst pulling off some great moves. Managing that safety car restart from the lead was superb too.

He has improved considerably over the course of this season. Always quick, but his ability in and amongst traffic has really improved.
I think what rubs some people the wrong way with Hill is that he seems unable give an interview without throwing some form of dig at other drivers.
Almost every time I have heard him in front of the mic this year, he seems to have had a chip on his shoulder about someone else on the grid - and usually it has been about another talented driver.
Old 26 Sep 2022, 20:59 (Ref:4127577)   #113
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think what rubs some people the wrong way with Hill is that he seems unable give an interview without throwing some form of dig at other drivers.
Almost every time I have heard him in front of the mic this year, he seems to have had a chip on his shoulder about someone else on the grid - and usually it has been about another talented driver.
but that makes him much better then the run of the mill coorporate drone driver with their neverending PR talk

Last edited by porsche962fan; 26 Sep 2022 at 21:09.
Old 26 Sep 2022, 21:10 (Ref:4127579)   #114
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
but that makes him much better then the run of the mill coorporate drone driver with their neverending PR talk
I think 'my Rokitship' has run its course though!
Old 26 Sep 2022, 22:28 (Ref:4127586)   #115
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Could you give any example? I mean, I don't question that but probably haven't really paid attention to that.
I mean, Hill is a very talented driver and I tend to support young racers who are there because of their talent and not money only but has to be said there's some not particularly nice vibe around him.
Old 27 Sep 2022, 00:26 (Ref:4127594)   #116
WestHam92
Rookie

European Union
WestHam92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Instead of just reeling off a list of sponsors, at least get them in as puns or their slogans like Rob Collard's "we really kicked up a gear".
Old 27 Sep 2022, 00:31 (Ref:4127595)   #117
WestHam92
Rookie

European Union
WestHam92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Tom Ingram seems unable to give an interview without behaving like a kids TV presenter or overly enthusiastic primary school teacher. Don't even get me started on "pointsy"...
Old 27 Sep 2022, 04:21 (Ref:4127614)   #118
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Could you give any example? I mean, I don't question that but probably haven't really paid attention to that.
An example. After R3 at Silverstone following a P2, P1 and P4:
"It was dirty. Everyone is loading each other up and hitting everyone and hitting everyone. [...] the problem is certain people in the mix [...] they think they can bully people [in the championship hunt] they are messing with the wrong person. [...] they was just constantly getting into me"

The other championship contenders were focusing on the positives, what they can control and looking forward to Brands.
Old 27 Sep 2022, 04:22 (Ref:4127615)   #119
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestHam92 View Post
Tom Ingram seems unable to give an interview without behaving like a kids TV presenter or overly enthusiastic primary school teacher. Don't even get me started on "pointsy"...
Old 27 Sep 2022, 07:19 (Ref:4127622)   #120
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don't think the guys in the BTCC are bad blokes and they always seem to come across well on interviews, at least 9 times out of ten
Old 27 Sep 2022, 08:18 (Ref:4127636)   #121
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
An example. After R3 at Silverstone following a P2, P1 and P4:
"It was dirty. Everyone is loading each other up and hitting everyone and hitting everyone. [...] the problem is certain people in the mix [...] they think they can bully people [in the championship hunt] they are messing with the wrong person. [...] they was just constantly getting into me"

The other championship contenders were focusing on the positives, what they can control and looking forward to Brands.
Okay... This really seems as if he had the chip on his shoulder you mentioned... seems a bit unnecessary on his part.
Old 27 Sep 2022, 09:16 (Ref:4127639)   #122
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I don't think the guys in the BTCC are bad blokes and they always seem to come across well on interviews, at least 9 times out of ten
Although it seems they can’t win.

Too ‘kids TV’ and people don’t like it (Ingram)
Too moany and people don’t like it (Hill, Plato)
Too ‘just happy to be here and it’s all amazing’ and people don’t like it (Crees, RPJ)
Old 27 Sep 2022, 09:26 (Ref:4127642)   #123
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Ingram comes over really well on interviews lol. How dare he not be a bell-end.
Old 27 Sep 2022, 09:39 (Ref:4127643)   #124
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Although it seems they can’t win.

Too ‘kids TV’ and people don’t like it (Ingram)
Too moany and people don’t like it (Hill, Plato)
Too ‘just happy to be here and it’s all amazing’ and people don’t like it (Crees, RPJ)
You forgot the 'too run of the mill corporate drone with PR talk' (Rowbottom?)
and the 'too lucky' (Sutton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I think Ingram comes over really well on interviews lol. How dare he not be a bell-end.
Agreed - I though that drivers were not meant to be afraid of telling us how they really feel? You can't tell me that he genuinely is positive about the BTCC?

On a serious note - I will admit that Ingram has grown on me a bit in recent years. A few seasons ago, I was not a particular fan. Can't really put my finger on why, but it was when he was running in a 1-car team. Perhaps that gave him a different approach to the 'team' aspects of the sport, but he seemed to come across (IMO) as being a bit arrogant towards other drivers.
In the last couple of seasons, he seems to have become more complementary of others and when not in the heat of a race, less 'intense' about things.

Maybe the drivers should all get a Yuri in their lives?
Old 27 Sep 2022, 10:23 (Ref:4127647)   #125
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
Is there a reason the commentators keep on saying junior drivers will need to stay in karting or maybe move into f4 earlier?

I thought juniors were also moving across to British GT not disappearing altogether?
The lack of exposure of the British GT package means those who rely on real sponsorship (as opposed to wealthy parents) won't see Juniors as an attractive option any more.

And in particular those F1 aspirants who use the championship as a way to learn the circuits, and the "package" before F4 will have no incentive to do it.