Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jan 2019, 12:02 (Ref:3880392)   #1301
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
And the start of the Six Nations. I'm not going out much over the next few weekends.
Just noticed on a TV promo here downunder that one of our sports channels is covering every game live.... so I will be joining you guys watching.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 12:49 (Ref:3880405)   #1302
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Just noticed on a TV promo here downunder that one of our sports channels is covering every 6 Nations game live.... so I will be joining you guys watching.
How’s that for international co-operation- you give us the Bathurst 12hrs and we (Europe) give you the Six Nations!
Old 29 Jan 2019, 13:19 (Ref:3880411)   #1303
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suppose it'll be back to the Three Nations soon.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 29 Jan 2019, 16:51 (Ref:3880459)   #1304
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I suppose it'll be back to the Three Nations soon.

It occurs to me that the football world cup should reflect the intentions of the EU to be "United" and thus only enter a European team.

Certainly the same could be said of the UK, of course. But usually the UK is only represented by one team anyway when the even comes around.
One might argue quite strongly that a UK team might be a good idea.

Of course that assumes that one cares.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 16:54 (Ref:3880462)   #1305
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
It occurs to me that the football world cup should reflect the intentions of the EU to be "United" and thus only enter a European team.

Certainly the same could be said of the UK, of course. But usually the UK is only represented by one team anyway when the even comes around.

Makes sense since the USA which, as far as I know, is the only sovereign Federal State, only enters a USA team.

The UK is not a federal state. It is a union of various "kingdoms" and northern Ireland which is why only England and Wales share the same legal code.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 17:00 (Ref:3880463)   #1306
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Looking at the main sponsor, I guess a gentleman agreement will be found. Cant imagine a name like Ricard or Asti Spumante… Not everything will change, still hoping about common sense. At least sport things.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 17:02 (Ref:3880464)   #1307
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

Didn't the EU mob try a stunt like that at the time of the London Olympics? IIRC they tried lumping together all the medal scores of the EU nations, probably miffed at GB doing rather well! Think they also wanted the Brussels flag to take precedence over the Union Jack.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 17:50 (Ref:3880475)   #1308
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
John, in France you must have noticed the our media like to turn the results the best way…*Stupid but common.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 19:33 (Ref:3880497)   #1309
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Golf does it already at the Ryder Cup of course.

Old 29 Jan 2019, 20:10 (Ref:3880505)   #1310
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Can I have a Brexit report please . I hear there is lots of voting going on in parliament .
Old 29 Jan 2019, 20:34 (Ref:3880508)   #1311
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Can I have a Brexit report please . I hear there is lots of voting going on in parliament .
They've just rejected a motion to not leave the EU without a guarantee that Kwassons will still be available to non EU members
Old 29 Jan 2019, 21:36 (Ref:3880514)   #1312
midgetman
Veteran

They've just voted to send our Prime Minister on a fool's errand to re-negotiate the un-negotiable. She'll come home with her tail between her legs. Unlike Mr Chamberlain she won't even have a scrap of paper.

So we're not going to get a new deal. Which presumably means we'll have to leave without a deal.

But thanks to the other vote tonight they've voted we cannot leave without a deal.

Therefore if your neighbour can't get a new deal, which the EU says we can't, we can't leave the EU. Except we can, because that vote was non binding. Which means the whole shenanigans was a collosal waste of time.

At least that's my reading of it. But this should be on the Sunlit Uplands thread.

Last edited by midgetman; 29 Jan 2019 at 21:44.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 04:38 (Ref:3880544)   #1313
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Max and Tim 👍
Old 30 Jan 2019, 05:50 (Ref:3880546)   #1314
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Year 2003. Saint Arnoult en Yvelines toll is totally jammed. Reason is heavy snow. People inside their cars, ambulances and police unable to reach a kind of white war. At least five times since, this toll has been closed because of snow. The maintenance trucks have been improved if not bespoke, people got specific training probably inspired by Navy Seals and at least two Meteo France responsible have been fired. Guess what in this 2019 morning? We like awards of any kind, we are champions …
Old 30 Jan 2019, 06:26 (Ref:3880550)   #1315
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
So France not unlike the UK in that respect, Gerard, when it comes to reacting to snowfall!

Just looked on google maps and the autoroutes are solid red in the area. Why is the N118 closed- that’s the truck route round the south of Paris......
Old 30 Jan 2019, 06:38 (Ref:3880551)   #1316
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
So France not unlike the UK in that respect, Gerard, when it comes to reacting to snowfall!

Just looked on google maps and the autoroutes are solid red in the area. Why is the N118 closed- that’s the truck route round the south of Paris......
Nice, snow free, in Luton.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 06:45 (Ref:3880552)   #1317
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Luckily I haven’t got to drive anywhere this morning, but it snowed a little during the night, then froze hard.....

Think tomorrow night could give you and the South more white stuff!
Old 30 Jan 2019, 07:12 (Ref:3880554)   #1318
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Luckily I haven’t got to drive anywhere this morning, but it snowed a little during the night, then froze hard.....

Think tomorrow night could give you and the South more white stuff!

Several cm's of snow here this morning but I don't think it is freezing.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 07:44 (Ref:3880557)   #1319
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Why is the N118 closed- that’s the truck route round the south of Paris......
Mike, I can answer your question and will try of course but in these circumstances avoid the word f is… painful! First, not only the 118 will lead you West of France, but as you say is widely used as a detour around Paris. just when you leave Paris, after pont de Sèvres, there are many miles uphill. Not only our responsible cant brush the snow even if they are warned and well payed, but the average driver is………… a nut at wheel. Thats why 118 is stacked frequently. To avoid that, simple, they close the road!!!!! F technocrats!

Last edited by Gerard C; 30 Jan 2019 at 07:52.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 07:49 (Ref:3880559)   #1320
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike, I can answer your question and will try of course but in his circumstances avoid the word f is… painful! First, not only the 118 will lead you West of France, but as you say is widely used as a detour around Paris. just when you leave Paris, after pont de Sèvres, there are many miles uphill. Not only our responsible cant brush the snow even if they are warned and well payed, but the average driver is………… a nut at wheel. Thats why 118 is stacked frequently. To avoid that, simple, they close the road!!!!! F technocrats!
Ah, it certainly does have some short steep hills, so I can see the problem if it snows! Luckily not a problem during the summer......
Old 30 Jan 2019, 07:56 (Ref:3880564)   #1321
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Compare what is comparable is the best thing to make up your mind. Fair enough. I would be absolutely delighted to receive one of those Bozos me being the doc. I'd like to see the effect produced when you tell them something like: "No worry, just a broken arm. We gonna kill you with a simple injection. You will stop suffering right away"! And with those people we want to lead Europe, to show the way, to this and that…… F'em first ask questions later!
Old 30 Jan 2019, 07:57 (Ref:3880565)   #1322
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
38C in Melbourne today.... until we had a hail storm late afternoon. (How can hail form in 38C, even though the temp dropped 10C to 28C in 15 minutes?)
Old 30 Jan 2019, 07:58 (Ref:3880566)   #1323
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Just seen David Gilmour talking about his guitar collection that Christie’s are to auction off. Wow- and proceeds to charities....

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...uction-785547/
Old 30 Jan 2019, 08:09 (Ref:3880570)   #1324
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
38C in Melbourne today.... until we had a hail storm late afternoon. (How can hail form in 38C, even though the temp dropped 10C to 28C in 15 minutes?)
This is the indubitable proof that you're living in fast country, E.B! Even the watches run faster! If you like big challenges, try to explain to Mr Dupont that an ABS system can be tricky to use in snow. From what I saw this morning, a lot of clients here!
Old 30 Jan 2019, 08:12 (Ref:3880571)   #1325
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Just seen David Gilmour talking about his guitar collection that Christie’s are to auction off. Wow- and proceeds to charities....

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...uction-785547/
Thanks for posting that Mike.... interesting indeed. I note he says just because I am selling 120 guitars does not mean I am retiring .... "If I retire, it will be a quiet, unnoticeable process at some point. But I’m not at that moment.”

I remember him selling a multi million pound house once and donating the money to charity. A generous chap indeed.
Closed Thread