Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Dec 2006, 00:50 (Ref:1779156)   #26
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th Gear
There is talk of willowbank being fliked for TSV, I went to QLD RW once an is is flat and boring! Surfers for SEQ, Townsville for NQ!
Come on, WWATA? Is it RN?

At least get "Queensland Raceway" right. Its QR.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 1 Dec 2006, 01:04 (Ref:1779161)   #27
6th Gear
Racer

Australia
Townsville, QLD
6th Gear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
Come on, WWATA? Is it RN?

At least get "Queensland Raceway" right. Its QR.
Queensland Race Way
QLD R W
Old 1 Dec 2006, 01:06 (Ref:1779162)   #28
6th Gear
Racer

Australia
Townsville, QLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
I like Townsville, used to live there. What Townsville needs is a permanent circuit though.

Townsville also need people with permanant brains or doctors who can take the dumb head off people NOT THE SMART ONE!

Note: I was born is Brisbane!
Old 1 Dec 2006, 01:07 (Ref:1779164)   #29
6th Gear
Racer

Australia
Townsville, QLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
If there is a race at TSV at least there will be a bigger crowd attending TSV than at Bahrain last week. Hehehe
They do allow grog sponsorship up here to, Jack does'nt live Here!!!
Old 1 Dec 2006, 01:25 (Ref:1779173)   #30
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Queensland Race Way
QLD R W

Sorry 6th gear it is generally known as QR.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 1 Dec 2006, 02:13 (Ref:1779182)   #31
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
Sorry 6th gear it is generally known as QR.
...or The Paper Clip...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 1 Dec 2006, 03:09 (Ref:1779196)   #32
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There is talk of willowbank being fliked for TSV, I went to QLD RW once an is is flat and boring
Whats boring with Queensland Raceway ?

Wasnt any additional street race only allowed by Qld Gov if the permanent circuit round remained.
Old 1 Dec 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1779307)   #33
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
...or The Paper Clip...

Forgot that one Retro
Old 1 Dec 2006, 09:11 (Ref:1779311)   #34
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
Not in 07 it isn't.
sorry mate forgot what year we are in now, meant 08
Old 5 Dec 2006, 10:08 (Ref:1782338)   #35
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daed in the water

Qld Govt has rejected funding - another V8 Supercar raid on a State budget hits the dust !!!
Old 5 Dec 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1782392)   #36
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bugger!

Is TC going to drum up support for Peter Beattie like he did before now?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 5 Dec 2006, 11:20 (Ref:1782407)   #37
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe just before next year's election in NSW Homebush might come back used in the campaign by one of the parties and then just like now and Townsville it will dye down and won't happen , bloddy politicians hate the mongrels.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1782436)   #38
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The decion not to go ahead was made around the same time that TC was saying he had more overseas countries looking to run a round. Might it have been to put a little pressure on the Qld. Government to come up with the money.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 06:47 (Ref:1793286)   #39
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

click here

Quote:
TOWNSVILLE'S bid to host a V8 Supercar race could be back on track with the State Government agreeing to a hastily convened meeting with twin cities stakeholders to discuss possible ways forward.

Community leaders have welcomed the planned meeting with Sports Minister Andrew Fraser in Brisbane on December 27 saying it's a positive first step in keeping the V8 race alive.

Anger over the Government's decision not to fund the race has been raging in the twin cities among race supporters since the announcement was made on December 5.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 18 Dec 2006, 11:47 (Ref:1793434)   #40
pete55
Veteran

I don't think it is going to make any difference to the decision.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 23:20 (Ref:1798008)   #41
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
click here

Old 23 Dec 2006, 02:23 (Ref:1798069)   #42
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now they are wanting the Fed Government to throw. Where will this insanity end ?

Surely a permanent circuit is the better way to go.
Old 23 Dec 2006, 03:04 (Ref:1798077)   #43
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Now they are wanting the Fed Government to throw. Where will this insanity end ?

Surely a permanent circuit is the better way to go.
Who would race there? Importing fields from Darwin or South East Queensland? How would you get them to go?

I'm a strong advocate of permanent facilities but I'd question the viability of a circuit in North Queensland.
Old 23 Dec 2006, 03:23 (Ref:1798083)   #44
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Who would race there? Importing fields from Darwin or South East Queensland? How would you get them to go?

Open to all categories. I wouldnt say import but attract fields.

I would guess v8s, Nationals, Qld State, Club racing for North Qld, defensive driving training, Aus Superbikes etc.

Not saying all those would turn up but then again they might.

Just seems when you have the local gov, state gov kicking the tin and then on top asking the feds for $10 million, as a tax payer surely you'd want more than 1 v8 supercar benefit a year for the outlay.
Old 23 Dec 2006, 04:23 (Ref:1798096)   #45
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
I know I am critical of the way VE$A run our so-called premier class, but to ask Little Johnny & Smirky Pete for a hand for another supertaxi race, well that is BLOODY rich.

Yes both the Federal & State Goverment put money into Mt Panorama,but Bathurst is an ICON, and TSV has nothing yet.

And I know that the QLD gov is the one who put up the idea of Federal dollars, but this is getting to carried away. And remember that even though it had nothing to do with the CBR race the Federal Gov thought of it as a waste of money.IMO.
Old 23 Dec 2006, 05:21 (Ref:1798117)   #46
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Open to all categories. I wouldnt say import but attract fields.

I would guess v8s, Nationals, Qld State, Club racing for North Qld, defensive driving training, Aus Superbikes etc.

Not saying all those would turn up but then again they might.

Just seems when you have the local gov, state gov kicking the tin and then on top asking the feds for $10 million, as a tax payer surely you'd want more than 1 v8 supercar benefit a year for the outlay.
But what I'm saying is there is no club racing scene in that part of the world. You'd have to manufacture a field from scratch. Nationals and Superbikes wouldn't go for the same reason they don't presently go to Hidden Valley or Wanneroo. There is not sufficient support in that part of the world for a permanent facility, and certainly one that would not be usable for one-three months of the year because of the weather.
Old 23 Dec 2006, 05:36 (Ref:1798122)   #47
pete55
Veteran

I don't think it would take too long to get people interested in running categories up there. HQ's, Commodore Cup, FF and FV would get off the ground fairly quickly i would imagine. Sports Sedans and Improved Production are two other categories that would take off in my opinion. The circuit could run a V8 Supercar race in it's first year thereby creating an interest in the north. A permanent circuit up there could also run a round of the CAMS series. I'm sure the people of the north would support such a circuit and i'm also sure that some Government bodies and advanced driver training would use the facility as well.
Old 23 Dec 2006, 05:48 (Ref:1798127)   #48
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is the same amount of people in North Queensland as Tasmainia.

Tasmainia has two permanent circuits.
Old 23 Dec 2006, 05:52 (Ref:1798129)   #49
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
I know I am critical of the way VE$A run our so-called premier class, but to ask Little Johnny & Smirky Pete for a hand for another supertaxi race, well that is BLOODY rich.

Yes both the Federal & State Goverment put money into Mt Panorama,but Bathurst is an ICON, and TSV has nothing yet.

And I know that the QLD gov is the one who put up the idea of Federal dollars, but this is getting to carried away. And remember that even though it had nothing to do with the CBR race the Federal Gov thought of it as a waste of money.IMO.
So in one post you admit that it is the Qld government asking for money from the Federal government (or suggesting rather than asking) and yet you still turn that around into a VESA bash?

Clipsal is fast gaining iconic status. It started as nothing.

The bottom line for me is would the event bring sufficient benefit to the area to warrant the expense? Notice I said benefit NOT profit. IMO, based on a scientific analysis of my gut feeling, is that yes it would.
I think it is a mistake to try and justify or debunk street races based on input versus profit alone. Not all potential benefits produce a profit, or are even measurable in financial terms.
VESA will make a profit. They provide the show and would ensure that they come out in front, that's called good business. How much money they should make will depend on your POV, you can debate that amongst yourselves.
The governments get money back through taxes etc but I doubt they would recover their initial outlay. So you could argue (in financial terms) that the event would not be viable.

But there are many other people who would benefit greatly from street race in Townsville. A key point to consider is the financial impact on a town with a relatively small population base and infrastructure. A large city like Sydney already has the infrastructure to cater for large numbers of visitors. Most hotels are probably running on 75%+ occupancy on a "normal" day, so if a special event (like a Homebush V8 race) increased them to 100% occupancy for a few days, they have a 25% increase on their normal business for those days. In Townsville every hotel, motel, camping ground, caravan park etc will be filled to the brim. Assuming that on a normal day these businesses run at something below 50% occupancy, they will double their business for a few days. Any small business owner would love to double their income for a few days. Everyone who comes to the race will spend money, but with a smaller infrastructure there are less options on where to spend the money, so every service station, pie shop, milk bar, grocery shop, corner store etc is likely to see significant increases over their normal trade.

The total $ spent may not cover the initial outlay for the event, but the BENEFIT to the local community would be enormous.

It is not as simple as just making a profit.
Old 23 Dec 2006, 09:01 (Ref:1798167)   #50
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canberra 400

Totally sympathise and agree bestfit.....however, in the end it is the squeaky wheels and NIMBYs who seem to gain the ear of the pollies....in Canberras case it was one bloody woman getting her head on TV on a regular basis.

To be successful, the promoters really need to be committed and media savvy.