Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Dec 2006, 14:07 (Ref:1790642)   #26
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
Seriously try asking people who aren't interested in f1 why that is.

The kind of answers you should expect are

The racing is dull and when the drivers speak it sounds like a statement from a government minister.

The bald facts are that the busuness / sport balance in F1 has tipped way too far in favour of business interest and the results are obvious.

As for an examination of viewing figures - just have a quick google search on the subject - you'll find that in many of f1s established markets they have been losing viewers. And that's despite the fact that around 99 of every $100 spent in Europe on motorsport marketing focus on F1 -
Exactly. F1 doesn't exactly give off vibes of being a friendly atmosphere, either. I always get the impression that F1 as a whole thinks it's something of a "god". And don't anyone ever tell me Kimi Raikkonen's got real character in public - you just have to hear him speak...
Old 21 Dec 2006, 05:02 (Ref:1796447)   #27
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian
Maserati - GT1
Alfa - GT2

Ferrari - LMP1?
I thought FIAT's marketing strategy has been:
Ferrari - F1
Maserati - GT or sportscars
Alfa Romeo - Touring Cars
Lancia - Rallying

Maybe they are changing things around?
Ferrari - F1 <- this is unchangable
Maserati - LMP1?
Alfa Romeo - GT
Fiat - Touring Cars?
Old 21 Dec 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1796650)   #28
F360
Racer

F360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
I thought FIAT's marketing strategy has been:
Ferrari - F1
Maserati - GT or sportscars
Alfa Romeo - Touring Cars
Lancia - Rallying

Maybe they are changing things around?
Ferrari - F1 <- this is unchangable
Maserati - LMP1?
Alfa Romeo - GT
Fiat - Touring Cars?
As has been mentioned previously, its a difficult decision for companies with control of multiple brand names.
Ferrari in F1 will always be a given. Going back to the late 90's, Montezemolo stated that he'd like to take Ferrari back to LM and win again, but such a project would not be conceived until the F1 championship was won again. 6 constructors and 5 drivers titles later, i guess you could say "mission accomplished".
What has thrown a substantial spanner in the works was FIAT's acquisition of Maserati in '94. Granted, Maserati was split from Ferrari in 2004 and partnered with Alfa, but it still remains within the group. I have always suspected that if Maserati were still an "independant" (or owned by another corporation) then we would likely have some sort of official Ferrari sportscar programme in place by now.
For the forseeable future, it'll be-
Ferrari = F1
Maserati = LMP or GT1
Alfa = GT2 and/or Touring cars
FIAT = Rallying (Grande Punto Super 2000)
Old 22 Dec 2006, 01:46 (Ref:1797296)   #29
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is that both Ferrari and Alfa will be in GT2 in 2008. Obviously they think Porsche will be easy meat.

I was hoping FIAT would do touring cars and Lancia going back to the WRC to fight with Citroen, Ford, Subaru and Mitsubishi...
Old 22 Dec 2006, 08:29 (Ref:1797414)   #30
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
The problem is that both Ferrari and Alfa will be in GT2 in 2008. Obviously they think Porsche will be easy meat.

I was hoping FIAT would do touring cars and Lancia going back to the WRC to fight with Citroen, Ford, Subaru and Mitsubishi...
But the Ferrari GT2 is really a customer programme from which I assume they make a profit.
Old 23 Dec 2006, 03:23 (Ref:1798084)   #31
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F360
Ferrari in F1 will always be a given. Going back to the late 90's, Montezemolo stated that he'd like to take Ferrari back to LM and win again, but such a project would not be conceived until the F1 championship was won again. 6 constructors and 5 drivers titles later, i guess you could say "mission accomplished".
I agree, and perhaps when the much publicised "cost savings" in F1 come online then maybe Ferrari will be ready to divert some of those savings into a LMP project.

The fact that Schumacher is content to stay in the Ferrari stable implys to me that they must have something up their sleeve for him to do in the future that doesn't just involve testing or promotion.

The bottom line is that by 2010 some part of the Fiat group will be running a LMP, quite which part that'll be is unclear at the moment, but it will happen...
Old 12 Apr 2007, 17:41 (Ref:1889892)   #32
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
From Mariantic:
Quote:
Autosport (print edition) reporting that Alfa 8C GT2 car will not happen

So Alfa back to WTCC or maybe DTM with Schumacher?
Old 12 Apr 2007, 18:10 (Ref:1889909)   #33
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With the Ferrari GT2 and potentially Maserati (who knows what class), I doubt there was a market for the Alfa.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 07:33 (Ref:1890207)   #34
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
This is a highlly unexciting news development! Makes you wonder why rumours start in the first place.

But didn't we all think it highly likely that Alfa would replace Ferrari in GT2 and Ferrari possibly replace Mazza in GT1?

I guess any likelihood of the Schumeister running in a Fiat product in Germany in DTM offers the firm massive marketing appeal, but wouldn't it, just wouldn't it be ace if we had him out in a GT1 entry instead!!
Old 13 Apr 2007, 14:52 (Ref:1890485)   #35
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
why not both . afterall . Kristensen does DTM and LeMans ..

Ciao Marco