Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 3 Jan 2020, 15:47 (Ref:3949695)   #51
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I would like to add my belated best wishes to the list as yet another casualty of the dreaded hospitals wards; I was admitted on the 22nd, released today and am now considered a "virtual inpatient" which means that tests and scans are prioritised as if I was still bed blocking.

Unfortunately, although the medics know what the symptoms are and how they manifest themselves, they have yet to determine the cause/s; thankfully, the Big C has been pretty well ruled out - for now at least.

Still, onwards and upwards.
That doesn't sound very nice, Mike. Best of luck - I hope all goes well for you.
Old 3 Jan 2020, 15:52 (Ref:3949696)   #52
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, best of luck Mike!
Old 3 Jan 2020, 16:09 (Ref:3949702)   #53
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best wishes, Mike, from one old crock to another.
Thanks for all the kind wishes from you all.
Old 3 Jan 2020, 16:18 (Ref:3949704)   #54
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I would like to add my belated best wishes to the list as yet another casualty of the dreaded hospitals wards; I was admitted on the 22nd, released today and am now considered a "virtual inpatient" which means that tests and scans are prioritised as if I was still bed blocking.

Unfortunately, although the medics know what the symptoms are and how they manifest themselves, they have yet to determine the cause/s; thankfully, the Big C has been pretty well ruled out - for now at least.

Wishing you well, Mike, you will be in my prayers tonight. God Bless.
Old 3 Jan 2020, 17:22 (Ref:3949708)   #55
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Or go straight to a post office wher you can get it renewed same day. Look up what POs offer the service, there's bound to be one local to you.
The post office doesn't renew the passport the same day, they check the forms (some do it digitally) and forward it to the passport office and you are charged an extra £15 for the privilege so it still takes the same amount of time as doing it yourself
Old 3 Jan 2020, 18:16 (Ref:3949715)   #56
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE=Mike Harte;3949693]I would like to add my belated best wishes to the list as yet another casualty of the dreaded hospitals wards; I was admitted on the 22nd, released today and am now considered a "virtual inpatient" which means that tests and scans are prioritised as if I was still bed blocking.

Still, onwards and upwards. Very best wishes and Speedy recovery
Old 3 Jan 2020, 18:32 (Ref:3949719)   #57
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Sorry to hear, Mike. I’ll add my wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 3 Jan 2020, 21:29 (Ref:3949733)   #58
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My new laptop works.

A very belated happy,healthy and prosperous new year to everyone plus something I found playing with my new toy.
Had the fun of driving it in practice at Portland sorting out some brake problems and setting the engine up, great fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Lotus 9 Don Crawford.jpg  
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 4 Jan 2020, 00:12 (Ref:3949742)   #59
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post
A very belated happy,healthy and prosperous new year to everyone plus something I found playing with my new toy.
Had the fun of driving it in practice at Portland sorting out some brake problems and setting the engine up, great fun.

Interesting names there Eric.

A Wes Rowley for example.

And 3 Temple Buell's (apparently.)

Plus an Aardvark Menagerie.

Hmm.

I suspect some of those might be hiding true identities ...

Old 4 Jan 2020, 01:59 (Ref:3949754)   #60
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents
Belated happy new year to all.
I spent my new year's eve/day flat on my back in hospital with pneumonia.
Best wishes both of you for a full and speedy recovery.
Old 4 Jan 2020, 08:24 (Ref:3949773)   #61
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Yes, best wishes and a speedy recovery to all you ailing tenthers and spouses. I was feeling sorry for myself because my knee hurts!
Old 4 Jan 2020, 10:59 (Ref:3949790)   #62
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Yes, best wishes and a speedy recovery to all you ailing tenthers and spouses. I was feeling sorry for myself because my knee hurts!
Yes, all my best wishes to all the ten tenthers and there spouses. Can fully appreciate there feelings, had some bolt on pieces over the last year or so,one particular piece was fitted, then I was informed , no leaning over running engines no mig,tig or any electric welding, steering well clear of our induction cooker, in fact anything with electric pulses,plus no more motor racing or testing. Watched a program featuring Carol Shelby, can fully appreciate the effect the nitro pills have on you ,how the hell he managed motor racing with his heart condition
Old 4 Jan 2020, 14:35 (Ref:3949815)   #63
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Many thanks for all your kind wishes and prayers, which I fully reciprocate.
Old 4 Jan 2020, 14:45 (Ref:3949816)   #64
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think this has been mentioned before, but for those of you into 'podcasts' - Marcus Pye has started one, which may be of interest.

They can be downloaded or just listened to on't 'net via the following link:

https://soundcloud.com/user-744778030
Old 4 Jan 2020, 16:39 (Ref:3949822)   #65
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I think we're all a bit savvy on here when it comes to avoiding being ripped off by utilities, insurers etc. My Broadband and phone line contract was up for renewal, and the ‘offer’ was more money than previous year. Did a bit of research and then phoned the provider. After amicable negotiations the final result was literally half the initial quote, and a lot less than last year as well!

It’s almost a game nowadays......
Old 4 Jan 2020, 20:07 (Ref:3949843)   #66
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I briefly had a gold MK2 2L S around 1990 . . .a very cheap car at the time . . . . had this in 98 same colour I guess Cliff? until I upgraded to a 1600E in late '99 . . . Twas a 1600 GT XLR no less, more than enough power for the handling!
Think mine was a darker shade of metallic green Zef, but can’t be sure as it was nearly 40 years ago. I always wanted a 1600E but couldn’t afford one at the time. Strange but we rated 1600Es better than Lotus as they were so sought after
Old 5 Jan 2020, 07:07 (Ref:3949878)   #67
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post

Eric - your post has inspired me to change my avatar.

My Mark IX taken at a rather wet Castle Combe Autumn Classic. Car was the highest placed Lotus at the 1955 Goodwood 9 Hours, mainly because most of the others broke
Old 5 Jan 2020, 08:45 (Ref:3949882)   #68
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Excellent, Brian!

Many cars on that fascinating entry list Eric posted in #58 caught my eye, but one in particular- the Devin Panhard. I had no idea Panhard cars were ever sold in the US, but reading up on wiki appears they were!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Enterprises

And who knew that Devin’s modified Panhard flat twin engine was the first to ever use tooth belt drive for the overhead cams..... There’s a pic at the bottom of this page- https://auta5p.eu/lang/en/katalog/au...-Roadster-4048

Cool.

Last edited by Mike Bell; 5 Jan 2020 at 08:57.
Old 5 Jan 2020, 12:30 (Ref:3949898)   #69
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
When I discovered that many Panhard or Panhard engineered cars were racing in the US, I was surprised too. The strangest mod I saw is a flat twin with Manx heads the camshafts being mechanically driven. I think only three of those were ever made, I saw two of them and the crankcases showed evidences of welding… During next Tour Auto, 20/26 April, a Dolomites Pichon Parat will take part, a particular car I know very well.
Old 5 Jan 2020, 12:38 (Ref:3949899)   #70
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
In France, one of the best specialized mechanic was Jean-Baptiste Hampe. Here some details of the overbored engines he built, up to 1100 cc. http://panhard-racing-team.fr/?page_id=407 I do recommend this website very seriously documented. The mentions about oil pressure/flow are important…
Old 5 Jan 2020, 16:07 (Ref:3949913)   #71
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I've been shifting a lot of spares for the Alfa Romeo Owners Club over the last week or so, from one storage unit to another better value one, and doing a stocktake at the same time, which has caused me to realise that humping often heavy bits (particularly brake discs, suspension parts etc) is something I've got a little out of practice over the last few years.....and my back has been letting me know that this year it will have been around for 70 years, so was feeling a bit delicate (as well as having the usual coughs and splutters), but reading the woes of some of our Tenth's stalwarts healthwise, I realise that I have little to worry about - so send my heartiest wishes to all currently suffering, and hope that just as the days are lengthening slightly every day, so you will all improve.
Old 5 Jan 2020, 17:01 (Ref:3949914)   #72
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
Eric - your post has inspired me to change my avatar.

My Mark IX taken at a rather wet Castle Combe Autumn Classic. Car was the highest placed Lotus at the 1955 Goodwood 9 Hours, mainly because most of the others broke

I knew I da seen it before!

But t be honest I do not remember much about the race, apart from chatting to Mike Hawthorn after the race, but then I had cycled from North London to be there.
Old 5 Jan 2020, 17:28 (Ref:3949916)   #73
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
[/I][/B]

I knew I da seen it before!

But t be honest I do not remember much about the race, apart from chatting to Mike Hawthorn after the race, but then I had cycled from North London to be there.
Love to see some photos from that race meeting."did you keep any on your I Phone".
Old 5 Jan 2020, 19:04 (Ref:3949929)   #74
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Love to see some photos from that race meeting."did you keep any on your I Phone".
If only Iain, I saw all of the Nine Hour races, back in the '50's they were pretty spectacular events, and so very amateurish in it's entry.

To quote someone Happy Days.
Old 6 Jan 2020, 05:44 (Ref:3949980)   #75
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
The post office doesn't renew the passport the same day, they check the forms (some do it digitally) and forward it to the passport office and you are charged an extra £15 for the privilege so it still takes the same amount of time as doing it yourself
Oh well, things change.