Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 16 Jan 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1202317)   #101
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just watched the 40-minute report on the event on Grandstand (narrated by Richard Hammond). In all honesty, 40 minutes was enough for me. It strikes me that luck plays a very large part in this form of motorsport.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1202323)   #102
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have also justed watched the highlights on Grandstand and I have to agree with Ian a 40 minute didn't do the event justice. But its a great event and well done to all those that made it Daker.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1202326)   #103
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, it is a test of endurance of both man and machinery, so preparation and yes, luck, will play a part.

But to finish first first you have to finish.

I'm not a huge fan of the Dakar, I prefer racing to rallying, but it has its place.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1202333)   #104
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
I have also justed watched the highlights on Grandstand and I have to agree with Ian a 40 minute didn't do the event justice
Ian said the opposite!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
40 minutes was enough for me
Old 16 Jan 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1202340)   #105
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Well, it is a test of endurance of both man and machinery, so preparation and yes, luck, will play a part.
I agree. Of course luck plays a large part in the Dakar (and all Rally Raids).
But, this is the case in all motorsports, and like all - the cream will always rise to the top.
To win the Dakar, there is much more than just driving fast. You have to conserve your car for all 16 days; conserve yourself (the stages are so long); and be able to deal with so many different possibilities, terain, events...
Rally Raid is very different to most other forms of motorsport - it's more about stamina than raw pace. Indeed, I'd take your comment kb and make it to the ultimatetest of man and machinery in motorsport instead.
I too prefer racing to rallying. However, I prefer rally raid to stage rallying - I feel it's more of a test, and more of an achievent to get the end. Personal preferences I guess
Old 16 Jan 2005, 18:55 (Ref:1202389)   #106
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
Well, the rally's now over for another year.

Drama on the last day though has Hans Bekx was disqualified just as he was about to get onto the podium due to an illegal air intake system:
Information at eurosport.com
They are disqualified on 3 parts:
- The front bumper was made from plastic instead of steel.
- The springs were to width.
- The diameter of intercooler input was to width.

I find this a very strange decision of the ASO. The truck is inspected before the rally and at the scrutiny in Spain.

There was a news article on the official Dakar website on Thursday morning. According this article the Kamaz truck of Kabirov had left the parc ferme on Wednesday evening to do some repairs. But the stage of Wednesday and Thursday were marathon stages so it wasn't allowed to work on the car. Why didn't get Kabirov a time penalty or even get disqalified? This $^&* ASO organisation is corrupt and very amateuristic.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1202852)   #107
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I find this a very strange decision of the ASO. The truck is inspected before the rally and at the scrutiny in Spain.
Exactly. And NOW they notice?? - Silly.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1202883)   #108
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
There was a news article on the official Dakar website on Thursday morning. According this article the Kamaz truck of Kabirov had left the parc ferme on Wednesday evening to do some repairs. But the stage of Wednesday and Thursday were marathon stages so it wasn't allowed to work on the car. Why didn't get Kabirov a time penalty or even get disqalified? This $^&* ASO organisation is corrupt and very amateuristic.
I can't find this news article (long gone!) so am only speculating - but as I understood it you're not allowed outside assistance during a marathon stage - if he fixed it himself he should be ok. That said, I would have imagined that once in parc ferme the truck should stay in parc ferme, and any repairs he needed to do should have done out on stage (and whilst under the clock - but if he stopped in the liason then it wouldn't have been under the clock).
I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure about the rules for he marathon stage, and perhaps Kabirov found a loop hole in the rules, which would obviously explain no penalty! If he did though, we might see a rule clarification for next year...

On the subject of Bekx - certainly a strange incident, but it has happened before. Is it possible they changed parts out on the rally and that's why it wasn't spotted in Spain?
Old 17 Jan 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1203108)   #109
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
I can't find this news article (long gone!)
It's removed from the website.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
Is it possible they changed parts out on the rally and that's why it wasn't spotted in Spain?
According Bekx they changed no parts.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1203201)   #110
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Just watched the 40-minute report on the event on Grandstand (narrated by Richard Hammond). In all honesty, 40 minutes was enough for me. It strikes me that luck plays a very large part in this form of motorsport.
I was quite surprised that it was on grandstand (pleased too ). The coverage was pretty good I thought and showed exactly why this event is so tough on both man and machine. Well done to the BBC for covering it.