Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Apr 2023, 11:27 (Ref:4152460)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Donington Historic Festival 2023

A week to go and MRL have published the entry lists for their races.

HTCC combined with Tony Dron and U2TC is the usual varied entry although sadly still lacking a lot of earlier Group A cars who have clearly been deterred by the Sierra, M3 and Nissan brigade!

Can't find any for HRDC's races though. Anyone got any news on those, especially the Group 1 event?
Old 23 Apr 2023, 21:29 (Ref:4152697)   #2
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

HTCC combined with Tony Dron and U2TC is the usual varied entry although sadly still lacking a lot of earlier Group A cars who have clearly been deterred by the Sierra, M3 and Nissan brigade!

Can't find any for HRDC's races though. Anyone got any news on those, especially the Group 1 event?
Not bad grids, bit mediocre Pall Mall Grid but that's probably down to the very saturated Pre 66 Endurance calendar around at the moment having had the HSCC 3 Hour today at Snetterton amongst others.

Shame this event doesn't go back to the old 3 day format as there's really not enough on in one day alone to justify the heavy entrance price plus where did the Group C race disappear too?
Old 24 Apr 2023, 06:11 (Ref:4152715)   #3
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I thought the 3 day format made it feel like a two day meeting stretched over three . Whichever day I chose invariably felt like the wrong one - half empty paddock and interminable down time .
Old 24 Apr 2023, 12:25 (Ref:4152765)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

I understand the HRDC races are full grids. Unfortunately I've had to withdraw due to a family illness.
Old 24 Apr 2023, 19:43 (Ref:4152848)   #5
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have plumped for Sunday
Old 24 Apr 2023, 21:58 (Ref:4152854)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I understand the HRDC races are full grids. Unfortunately I've had to withdraw due to a family illness.
Sorry to hear that Peter, best wishes to you and the family...
Old 26 Apr 2023, 08:36 (Ref:4153038)   #7
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Can someone put up a link to the entry lists please?
Old 26 Apr 2023, 18:28 (Ref:4153098)   #8
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
https://msvstatic.blob.core.windows....table%20pw.pdf

https://www.motorracinglegends.com/e...oric-festival/
Does this help? May be you'll have the live stream on YT.
Old 26 Apr 2023, 18:35 (Ref:4153101)   #9
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Prewar (coucou Mr Ruston!) https://www.motorracinglegends.com/w...ry-List-v1.pdf

HTCC https://www.motorracinglegends.com/w...ry-List-v1.pdf
Shakuarh Challenge https://www.motorracinglegends.com/w...ry-List-v1.pdf
Pall Mall https://www.motorracinglegends.com/w...ry-List-v1.pdf
Striling Moss Trophy https://www.motorracinglegends.com/w...ry-List-v1.pdf
Sixties https://www.motorracinglegends.com/w...ry-List-v1.pdf
Tony Dron https://www.motorracinglegends.com/w...ry-List-v1.pdf
I just realize that from the menu you can sometimes land on the same list… Strange. Not my fault!
Old 26 Apr 2023, 18:39 (Ref:4153102)   #10
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Better with this one?

https://www.motorracinglegends.com/entries-and-results/
"I'll get me coat"
Old 27 Apr 2023, 07:28 (Ref:4153130)   #11
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Andy, Donny being your private garden, will you go to?
Old 27 Apr 2023, 09:59 (Ref:4153154)   #12
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Thanks all.
Old 27 Apr 2023, 10:30 (Ref:4153157)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Not seen any for the HRDC races yet though?
Old 27 Apr 2023, 10:36 (Ref:4153160)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I understand Paul O'Niell is driving the Jim Morris Sirocco in the Gerry Marshall race.
Old 27 Apr 2023, 11:05 (Ref:4153162)   #15
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All the entries are on the Doningto Park twitter feed https://twitter.com/DoningtonParkUK/...Vtmz2pX7g&s=19
Old 27 Apr 2023, 19:58 (Ref:4153237)   #16
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Andy, Donny being your private garden, will you go to?
I am not sure yet, Gerard.
We have a family wedding on Monday (and Mrs97 is making/ decorating the cake) and i am close to work deadlines so we are both fairly stressed and may be working on sat/sun, sadly.
Old 28 Apr 2023, 10:13 (Ref:4153293)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
All the entries are on the Doningto Park twitter feed https://twitter.com/DoningtonParkUK/...Vtmz2pX7g&s=19
Thanks for that, also available on the meeting website for us luddites who don't tweet! Er herm...
Old 29 Apr 2023, 12:24 (Ref:4153521)   #18
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Ah just done post on wrong thread . We are all good here at Donington . Dr Bob and. Myself just did few laps . It’s a long race this afternoon .?. Good to catch up with some Tenthers not seen for a while ?
Old 29 Apr 2023, 18:38 (Ref:4153649)   #19
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Ah just done post on wrong thread . We are all good here at Donington . Dr Bob and. Myself just did few laps . It’s a long race this afternoon .?. Good to catch up with some Tenthers not seen for a while ?
Well done on the finish.
Old 29 Apr 2023, 19:24 (Ref:4153661)   #20
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks but gutted . We were going well and I caught P 2 in class TVR . After the last pit stop we were a lap ahead and looking good .30 min left and we get missfire . Dropped to P4 . Hey Ho . On to Hockenheim .
Old 30 Apr 2023, 08:59 (Ref:4153760)   #21
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had a cracking day down at Donington yesterday, had to leave halfway through the Pall Mall Cup but here's my trackside vid of the day for anyone who interested:

https://youtu.be/QZM63Gv4fPc
Old 30 Apr 2023, 18:24 (Ref:4153872)   #22
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Iain, is your missfire trouble linked to the first one you had with the loose dizzy? As you say, engine builders…
Old 30 Apr 2023, 19:14 (Ref:4153892)   #23
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
As you say, engine builders…

How very dare you! I built and used to rebuild my only pushrod engine which probably did something like 80 to 100 races over a 5 year period. After each race, I would take the head off and replace the head, inlet and exhaust gaskets, whilst after each 2nd race, I would remove the whole engine and completely rebuild it including, sometimes, new pistons - or at least new rings.

As a result, or so I would like to think, I never had a DNF and just had one non-start which was due to a badly manufacture head gasket which let go on the slowing down lap of a heat where I had easily qualified for the final. We did have a replacement, but due to the time it would have taken to complete the job would have taken too long to make the race.

Instead I went into the paddock bar at Brands Hatch and drowned my sorrows and was soon joined by Gerry Marshall who came in to celebrate having won (yet again) that race. We then had a competition, with quite a few other drivers, to see who could consume the most alcohol. In the end, only Gerry and I were left, and when we had drunk the bar dry of whisky, we decided to call it a draw.

A few days later, as I was passing where he worked, I popped in to say hello, and we discovered that neither of us had any idea of how we got home. Although I do remember having backed my trailer into the warehouse where it was stored. How I got there or then on to my home, no clue! All I know is that the next day I felt really awful, and the family doctor came in to have a look at me and advised to to take more water with my Scotch as he felt that I probably had alcohol poisoning. I became almost teetotal from that point on and haven't had an alcohol drink for coming on 30 years now.
Old 1 May 2023, 05:51 (Ref:4153957)   #24
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Well ,that was ok I guess and a big improvement on some so called Festivals I've been to there . Saloons terrific but why so much time on pre war stuff? It's historic , not vintage and I'd far rather have seen the very generous allotted time devoted to single seaters, which were completely absent. F2 would be lovely but I'd have settled for FF1600/2000. And do they ever use the Melbourne loop now ? Shame they don't as most of the spectating is dreadful , with the track as far away as it is at Silverstone . I watched from the best place to get even vaguely close - entry to chicane on outfield - but I miss happy days watching F2/F3000. F3 and Gp C at much , much closer range at Redgate , Craner and Old Hairpin especially . I even survived being in the same post code as the track ...
Old 1 May 2023, 08:51 (Ref:4153980)   #25
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sizes of the grids at Donington were far larger than the grids which graced Thruxton and Snetterton last year, although the low grids at Thruxton last year were partially blamed on it's proximity to the Le Mans Classic. The HRDC appear to be on to a winner with the Gerry Marshall Trophy which attracted well over thirty entries to Donington. Are the GT&SCC running their Group One series this year ?

The HSCC's Historic Formula Two series ran at the early April Masters meeting rather than this one, but it is noticeable that relatively few single seater races are held these days in comparison to the plethora of saloon and GT series. Happily my local circuits, Thruxton and Castle Combe, are still relatively free of fencing and the sight and sound of the Jochwn Rindt Trophy field