Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Feb 2011, 14:06 (Ref:2826610)   #1
Racer Bob
Rookie

Racer Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CER & some strange cars racing in !

Hi everyone,

I was in Retromobile (the french "classic scene" show) last friday, I was wondering arround and I found some interesting things...

When I was in Le Mans Classic 2010, I was surprised to see a Mazda powered Chevron in the entry list of the grid N°5 :

http://www.lemansclassic.com/resultats

Entered with the same race spec as the one that raced in the 1970 Le Mans 24 hours :

http://www.les24heures.fr/index.php/content/view/582/1/

In Retromobile, the car was on the Mazda stand with open bodywork to see the engine, but what is funny is that the engine is a "12A" (2x573cm3) and this engine appeared in 1972 I think and on all the pages I've found they say the Chevron Mazda was powered by the "10A" (2x491cm3)...

So is CER letting "funny" cars in ? or is this car the one that was yellow and the one that was racing in Supersports some years ago ?!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0063.JPG   IMG_0064.JPG  
Old 7 Feb 2011, 00:24 (Ref:2827009)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Depends which country enters the car!
Old 7 Feb 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2827186)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome Racer_Bob. I think John has his cynical hat on at the moment.
Old 7 Feb 2011, 12:36 (Ref:2827202)   #4
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
In this case no.It happened a few times last year.Questions asked of overseas cars in France.LMC and CER.The scrutes are not appointed by the race promotors/organisers but by the French governing body.Its stupid.
Old 7 Feb 2011, 14:30 (Ref:2827254)   #5
Racer Bob
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
In this case no.It happened a few times last year.Questions asked of overseas cars in France.LMC and CER.The scrutes are not appointed by the race promotors/organisers but by the French governing body.Its stupid.
From what I know, the scrutes of Mr Peter on all his meetings, series or whatever you call them, are all appointed by Mr Peter as they are always the same on every meeting.

The problem being for me that Mr Peter can say "sorry Mr Scrute, but Mr x is one of my customers and regarding the hotel, the driver club access or the nice shirt you get, if you say no, I won't take you back on my meeting !.."
Old 7 Feb 2011, 14:45 (Ref:2827258)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Bob View Post
From what I know, the scrutes of Mr Peter on all his meetings, series or whatever you call them, are all appointed by Mr Peter as they are always the same on every meeting.

The problem being for me that Mr Peter can say "sorry Mr Scrute, but Mr x is one of my customers and regarding the hotel, the driver club access or the nice shirt you get, if you say no, I won't take you back on my meeting !.."
whilst fascinating be careful to not cross the litigation line..... in short no series is perfect and often the boundary between poacher and gamekeeper becomes blurred....
Old 7 Feb 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2827263)   #7
Racer Bob
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
whilst fascinating be careful to not cross the litigation line..... in short no series is perfect and often the boundary between poacher and gamekeeper becomes blurred....
What you say is right, no series is perfect, but when you hear that they don't want some foreign cars because they are "illegal" or because the history of the car is not perfect it sound ridiculous when you see the B16 Mazda.
Old 7 Feb 2011, 15:04 (Ref:2827270)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Bob View Post
What you say is right, no series is perfect, but when you hear that they don't want some foreign cars because they are "illegal" or because the history of the car is not perfect it sound ridiculous when you see the B16 Mazda.
I think a lot of people feel it wrong to criticize any aspect of CER in fear of compromising an entry to LMC.
Bob I would suggest you look at Masters and HSCC - cheaper and British so inherently more fair!!!
Old 7 Feb 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2827419)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Start again.
The French Scrutes are independent of organisers.
Look at the mess with LMC scruts and the stupidity of some of their on the hoof opinions at CER.

Don't think we will look at Masters!HSCC,Carol Spagg,Legends,GTSCC so much less hassle than the superstars.

Am doing at least three Peter Auto events this year and what will be will be but no point in pussy footing about.

May even get a start at LMC despite these opinions
Old 9 Feb 2011, 06:56 (Ref:2828168)   #10
lagedor
Rookie

France
France
lagedor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is always difficult to find a balance. For us we receive many groups with a coordinator, who is supposed to take care of the eligibility of the cars. We anyway make comments, and do not accept any exception concerning safety equipments.
If we have a problem with a car not complying with regulations, we warn the driver that he must correct these points for the next race, and we give a copy of the report to the coordinator. It is not perfect but it works.
For races like LMC and CER the organiser decides for everything. The scrutes try to do their job but in many case their decisions are not final...
Old 10 Feb 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2829244)   #11
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMC

At LMC last year I was told by the scrute to remove some lettering from my sunstrip, as by chance the picture on the front of my HTP was taken without the lettering. My car raced at Le Mans in period WITH this lettering but i was told if I did not remove it I would be removed from the assembly area & dissqualified from the meeting. Next to me in the paddock was a similar car that never raced at Le Mans in period, with an engine with 2 more valves per cylinder & a 100 bhp more than it ever used in period.
It`s a funny old world....
Old 10 Feb 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2829282)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
the wonderful garden of diversity that is old style (and some old) cars racing under the banner of histrionic motor sport.