Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 19 Jan 2001, 00:38 (Ref:59282)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just a quick question here.

Can anyone help with the correct rendition of the name of this stalwart South African endurance car driver?

I have seen it spelt Mike de Udy, but also - and in equal measures - Mike d'Udy.

Anyone know definitively which it should be? And what he's up to these days?

As an aside, thinking about apostrophes, is it Keith Odor or Keith O'Dor? Again, I keep seeing both spellings.
Old 20 Jan 2001, 04:39 (Ref:59472)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hi Tim,

(Just stealing someone else's net time).

I believe it's "Ooday".

And it was Keith Odor who was sadly killed at Spa Francorchamps (don't recall the year but It was around the same time a Ian Taylor left us) whilst driving a Nissan Primera Touring Car. He was famous for launching his BTCC Primera over the fences at the Old Hairpin at Donington.

Keith's father is Jan Odor the founder of the Janspeed tuning concern near Salisbury.
Old 8 Sep 2001, 10:26 (Ref:143603)   #3
David13
Rookie

David13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOOOOOOOOO

The previous reply is totally wrong. Actually MIKE DE UDY was a Sixties racer, he drove Porsches. Wishes. David
Old 8 Sep 2001, 14:22 (Ref:143687)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry david,but that previous reply is totlally CORRECT.Its just that it has nothing to do with the original question. If what you were trying to say was that Mike D'udy is still alive you may be right.
Old 8 Sep 2001, 14:32 (Ref:143689)   #5
David13
Rookie

David13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok

whoops.... it seems that both answers are correct. Sorry, I forgot to read the last row. I eat humble pie. Wishes, D.
Old 8 Sep 2001, 14:33 (Ref:143690)   #6
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
And it was Keith Odor who was sadly killed at Spa Francorchamps
Sadly Odor died driving a Primera at Avus in 1995, he had won the first race at Avus but was involved in a midfield crash where he was t-boned by two other cars. It was a real shame
Old 9 Sep 2001, 17:33 (Ref:144073)   #7
RAFY
Rookie

RAFY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike d"udy (and I am not sure of the spelling) was an independent British sportscar driver. I think his family had business interests in the Bahamas.
He did a lot of racing in the South African end of year long distance sportscar series in the late 60's early '70's. He achieved some good finishes.
He first came here with a Porsche 904 and later with a Lola T70 Chevy.
He was a hard driver and was sometimes partnered by Frank Gardner.
There was a rumour that he was living in Cape Town at one time after he retired from racing.
He once held the SA land speed record in his Lola T70.
Old 9 Sep 2001, 20:00 (Ref:144112)   #8
Udo
Rookie

Udo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Odor was killed at the Avus in a German Touring Car Championship race. His car was t-boned by Frank Biela.
Old 13 Sep 2001, 22:12 (Ref:145834)   #9
Barry Boor
Rookie

Barry Boor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having watched the aforementioned Mr. de Udy driving his green Porsche decades ago, I can only repeat that all the commentators I ever heard pronounced it as 'deeYudee'. i.e. 2 syllables but pronounced as one word. Certainly not doodee!

As to where he may be now, I can offer nothing!