Maycom AR 108 35 83.33%
Alinco 0 0%
Other - let me know!! 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Nov 2014, 12:43 (Ref:3471163)   #1441
khisanth
Rookie

khisanth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok thanks a lot now i know what sort of thing i am looking for and that i am in the right place

She currently does oulton park but is hoping todo others like silverstone in near future
Old 3 Nov 2014, 16:39 (Ref:3471241)   #1442
katrina.kershaw.7
Racer

katrina.kershaw.7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone is digital I'm afraid I just have a little earpiece that picks up commentary so I can find out lap etc
Old 3 Nov 2014, 19:41 (Ref:3471302)   #1443
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Post chiefs at Oulton are on digital radios, but all other radio traffic is on analogue so is available to scanners

I don't think there are plans to change all to digital in the near future but as earlier poster said if the scanner user is a new marshal I would prefer hem not to be distracted by a scanner for a while,

At Oulton a lot use them and most are willing to share what is heard with fellow marshals in the team
Old 3 Nov 2014, 21:35 (Ref:3471344)   #1444
EmileNaus
Rookie

United Kingdom
EmileNaus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a relatively new marshal, I would echo most of the comments. In most cases, you can follow the races without a scanner, and particularly to begin with there are enough other things to look out for. I have also yet to find someone not happy to share what is being said on the radio.
Having said that, a scanner is helpful when you find yourself in a team of 1 flagging with no headset...
A number of tracks have gone digital, and as far as I know you cannot use a scanner. Equally some tracks have FM radio commentary which can be useful.
Finally, make sure it is a scanner (receiver) only; you need a licence for anything that can transmit.
Old 5 Nov 2014, 22:18 (Ref:3472053)   #1445
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
If your sister has only recently started then I would suggest she focused on what is happening near her when marshalling rather than listening to a scanner.
Dave
Yes I agree. Don't bother buying one. Use your eyes & ears. They will tell you more than a scanner.
Old 5 Nov 2014, 22:28 (Ref:3472058)   #1446
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Though I am not a marshal, I have been using a scanner since the
late 80's. I currently use a Uniden BC125AT. I don't leave home without
it. You can get the safety frequencies to most tracks.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 11:36 (Ref:3472789)   #1447
telf
Rookie

telf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a Tait 2000 radio licenced onto the MSA system for Rally events if any one has a need for one let me know, I know Wales Rally GB soon and someone may have a need for one or looking for a spare
Old 10 Nov 2014, 17:47 (Ref:3473457)   #1448
Mark Noble
Racer

England
Warrington
Mark Noble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I don't see the issue, having a scanner as a new marshal is fine. It enhances your understanding of what is going on.

I'm sure your sister has bags of common sense. If somebody can't have an occasional voice in their ear and pay attention at the same time, they shouldn't be marshalling! It's no different to discussing the race etc with your partner on post.

Go out on get one!
Old 10 Nov 2014, 19:25 (Ref:3473481)   #1449
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Noble View Post
Personally I don't see the issue, having a scanner as a new marshal is fine. It enhances your understanding of what is going on.
That very much depends on the new marshal.

Some do gain extra understanding. Others get distracted by it, have no idea what's happening in front of them because they're listening to what's happening the other side of the circuit and then get so transfixed by it they not only don't learn from the scanner but don't learn from the colleagues they're with either. Sure, they're in the minority, but they do exist.

Much better to learn how to handle what's in your sector first and then you can add the scanner if you feel it helps. But remember, even then you're not there to deal with what's going on elsewhere and your priority must be what's in front of you. Other than some flagging information, the only real relevance is cars who missed the chequer and cars being released when you're trackside and so which might become a risk to you.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 13:47 (Ref:3473921)   #1450
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
If your sister has only recently started then I would suggest she focused on what is happening near her when marshalling rather than listening to a scanner.
Dave
THIS!
I have seen enough marshals distracted by radio, or act on what they hear. If you NEED to Know, your post chief will be telling you.
In year 1, concentrate on the job, not what is happening elsewhere
Old 12 Nov 2014, 21:10 (Ref:3474040)   #1451
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a scanner after my second meeting. I appreciate the theory that your PC or IO will tell you anything you need to know....but sometimes in the real world when they're nice and dry in the box and I'm soaking wet and 50m away on the other side of the track I quite like knowing e.g. cars on circuit, last car past the chequer etc. without having to rely on them .

Steve
Old 12 Nov 2014, 21:24 (Ref:3474045)   #1452
Heardy1982
Rookie

Heardy1982 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am in my second year of marshalling and was considering getting a scanner. I have made a personal choice for now not to get one. As concerned it will be a distraction and might be listening to the radio and miss a car coming towards more. Although at times I have thought why is there a safety car or red flag but usually my post chief or i.o has said a few minutes later or sooner why something has happened or the last car to take chequered flag.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 23:24 (Ref:3475205)   #1453
mattthompson79
Rookie

mattthompson79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just finished my first year and haven't found not having a scanner a disadvantage. Anything I've needed to know has been relayed to me and I feel that when dealing with an incident it's important to just concentrate on that.

If you're in earshot of the tannoys then I find the circuit commentary really helps and actually livens up the racing. Anything to help with six car field, three hour race in the middle of October!!!!!

In fact I'd say the most off putting thing for a new marshal is where everyone else on post has scanners and this is all they seem to discuss. Find it incredibly rude and sets the wrong impression. On the basis of this, when circuits do move to digital and only those who need it have access, then things will be better.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 09:18 (Ref:3475355)   #1454
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Each to his/her own. When or if I find that I am no longer allowed to know anything about what's happening around the circuit I will no longer be marshalling. I've never regarded being kept ignorant as an advantage. At work we used to call that "mushroom management" .

Steve
Old 16 Nov 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3475494)   #1455
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never understood why so many are against scanners. Maybe because for years, I had a PM radio at work I've never found a scanner distracting but I can appreciate it may not be a good idea for the first few months of marshaling. But when you're stuck out in the woods or down in the Bombhole at Snett etc they're invaluable not just for you but for the entire post.
Sometimes even when the marshal channel is digital the 'other' rescue/safety car channel could be open, so the scanner is still useful.

If you're not in hurry maybe wait a few months as some might sell theirs as more circuits stop using open channels.