Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Jul 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1036691)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ALMS at Sears Point Thread

The ALMS is back at Infineon this weekend...always an action-filled race....

Some things readily come to mind straight up:

1. Will Dyson be able to defend and pull off another win this year?

2. Will Risi be able to make it two in a row over the Porsche entries?

3. How will the Panoz GT stack up at a track that may not seem to be suited to that chassis (at least from my observations of its power, handling and grip at Mid-Ohio, a track that the Panoz liked very much)

4. Will Sears Point provide a setting for the Saleen to challenge the Corvettes?

5. Can Team Bucknum keep the Willman engine in one piece for an entire weekend?

6. How badly was the Intersport Lola LMP2 hurt at Lime Rock, and will it be competitive at Sears Point???

7. Does anyone really CARE that "Dale Jr. is racing there this weekend???

Your thoughts????

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 14 Jul 2004, 19:52 (Ref:1036695)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
NOTE on #7:

There is no doubt that he will attract attention, help to sell some tickets, and help the TV ratings this Sunday on CBS...

All good things for GM and for the Series...

But I can name at least 6 other NASCAR drivers who are much better road racers than Dale Jr.....and at least 4 of them are Chevy drivers in NASCAR....

Namely (just a few of the "bow tie" boys):

Jeff Gordon
Tony Stewart
Robby Gordon
Kevin Harvick

that's for starters....

That's why I really don't "care" that he is in the field...but that's just me....

So if you don't want to comment on that item, that's OK...just thought I'd take a poke or two at the "hornet's nest" with that one...

Old 14 Jul 2004, 20:13 (Ref:1036708)   #3
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Point 1) I think Dyson definitely has a shot at a win this weekend. The car is lightning quick and suited very well towards that particular track. But, the Audi is suited to every track it goes to and is superior in terms of preparation and team work. Even if Dyson's cars are reliable, they still need a near perfect race to win.

Points 2 & 3) I have no idea if Sonoma suits the 360 and the Panoz, but I'll be routing for them! Shut the 911's out two races in a row!!!

Point 4) The Saleen is slowly getting better as that team gets more experienced. I'd love to see it prevent a Corvette 1, 2 and 3, but it will take a monumental effort. Hope the Lambos show well also. That team has a big hill to climb, but it's doable.

Points 5 & 6) I have zero interest in P2. This class does nothing for me at the moment.

Point 7) Sure I care if Jr. is there. Any exposure for the ALMS at this point is a good thing. Couldn't care less what his driving experience is, he would arguably outdraw the other drivers you mentioned in terms of viewers and interest. With that said, I think he may surprise a few people.

All in all, I'm looking forward to a great race at one of the ALMS's better venues. This one should be a cracker across the board!

Last edited by jhansen; 14 Jul 2004 at 20:14.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 20:41 (Ref:1036724)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Of the four I named, Jeff Gordon sure is quite visible among the general public...and like Earnhart...Fans either love him or hate him...no in-between on either guy...

Dale (with endorsements and everything) is worth about $10-$12 million more than Jeff Gordon is, but Gordon has so much appeal that he makes about $60 million a year...and most of that is endorsement money...his face is on TV all of the time, just like Dale Jr.

But Earnhart couldn't hold a candle to Gordon when it comes to road racing skills...their NASCAR records speak for themselves...Gordon is a multiple winner on those tracks...Dale hasn't even sniffed Victory Lane...not even close...

But that's my opinion....

although I did state that it will bring more viewers and visibility to the Series...which is a very good thing...

I'm for anything that helps the ALMS....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 14 Jul 2004 at 20:42.

Old 14 Jul 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1036745)   #5
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On #5 Bucknum has gone back to the Nissan engine.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1036746)   #6
bf1
Racer

Ireland
Waterford, Ireland / Swansea, Wales
bf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My poke at the Hornets nest..
If you are a racing driver you are a racing driver weather you race on Road courses or ovals or any other type of circuit or track, it does'nt make a difference

just my 2cent
bf1
Old 14 Jul 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1036759)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's a valid point actually.

And as a rebuttle to Tim, what road racing has Jeff done outside of NASCAR (excluding the trading paint thing and IROC)? At least Jr. shows and has expressed interest in other forms of racing, which included a desire to run Le Mans. He has also run the 24 Hours of Daytona. So at least he supports sportscar racing, which I have not seen Jeff Gordon do. I know he's a hoosier, but he hasn't even sniffed an IRL car, much less a true sportscar (to my knowledge).

And to be clear, I don't like either. But Jr. raised my eye with his interest in other forms of racing and I respect Gordon much more after his comments on F1.

Last edited by jhansen; 14 Jul 2004 at 21:14.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 21:16 (Ref:1036763)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by bf1
My poke at the Hornets nest..
If you are a racing driver you are a racing driver weather you race on Road courses or ovals or any other type of circuit or track, it does'nt make a difference

just my 2cent
bf1

But some "racing drivers" have more skill at certain types of racing than they do others....

Tom Sneva was a rocket on ovals, but was a back marker on road courses...same with Johnny Rutherford....

I'm not cutting at Dale Jr's standing as a "Race Driver," but there are others from his Series who are better at road racing than he is...

and frankly, GM uses Jeff Gordon as much in their Monte Carlo ads as they do Dale Jr....both have major deals with all kinds of products... from beverages (pepsi & bud) to car rental companies, etc....

Gordon also has hosted "Saturday Night Live" twice...a network wouldn't take a shot at doing that unless a guy was visible and easily recognized by the genral public....

Sure...everybody knows Dale Jr....but everybody who has a TV knows Jeff Gordon, too....

but when it comes to road racing, Gordon is a better and faster driver than Earnhart, and his winning record at Sears Point and Watkins Glen proves it.....period....

That's all I'm saying....

Old 14 Jul 2004, 21:19 (Ref:1036769)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I havn't disputed anything in regards to which one is the better road racer. Not at all. Gordon is more talented in that respect, at least at this stage. But, I am saying that Jr. deserves to be there. That's all. He has a genuine interest in road racing and in being a diversified racing driver, which I appreciate. Much more than the more singularly focussed Gordon.

Last edited by jhansen; 14 Jul 2004 at 21:20.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 21:22 (Ref:1036770)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For me the more 'star' drivers from other formulas, driving in sportscar racing the better.

I have heard Dale Jr is a Le Mans fan so why not, through him, open up the ALMS to more potential fans.

Its the same at LM with ex F1 drivers and Coln McRae.

BTW McRae will apparently race at Silverston in the LMES. The more stars the better.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 21:28 (Ref:1036776)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I didn't say that Dale didn't deserve to be there...I'm just saying that if you're going to pick a visibile NASCAR guy to run in a Vette, why not pick one that has better road racing skills....

I was at Indy when Gordon took a spin in the year-old Williams...within 6 laps, he was running competitive times....a much higher tech ride than the Daytona prototype that Dale slogged around in last February....

I'm not a fan of either guy myself....

But I do think that Boris deserves the best "visible NASCAR" road racer that GM has in its stable....

Old 14 Jul 2004, 21:34 (Ref:1036779)   #12
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I see where you're going Tim. And it's a valid point. My main point really is that Jr. WANTS to be there and is very popular, which is a great for the ALMS. Totally agree on Boris!

Last edited by jhansen; 14 Jul 2004 at 21:34.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 21:36 (Ref:1036782)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
For me the more 'star' drivers from other formulas, driving in sportscar racing the better.

I have heard Dale Jr is a Le Mans fan so why not, through him, open up the ALMS to more potential fans.

Its the same at LM with ex F1 drivers and Coln McRae.

BTW McRae will apparently race at Silverston in the LMES. The more stars the better.
and I would agree with you and jhansen on these points....

every one of them.....

But when it really gets down to it, I don't particularly "care" that he is going to run this weekend....because I think there are others from his Series that might deserve that GM seat more than he does due to his skills or road courses......

Of the four I listed originally, Robby is by far the best road racer of the bunch....

But he isn't a $60-$70 million a year household name like Jeff Gordon or Dale is....

I'm not saying Dale is a bum....he can drive...but not as well or road circuits as some othrs from NASCAR

Old 14 Jul 2004, 21:41 (Ref:1036785)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
I see where you're going Tim. And it's a valid point. My main point really is that Jr. WANTS to be there and is very popular, which is a great for the ALMS. Totally agree on Boris!

Pesonally, I'm glad the Dale does "want' to be there, too...

The NASCAR guys seldom have a weekend off from their 34 race schedule...

The fact that he has chosen to take an "off-week" from his stock cr to go and race in the ALMS is rather impressive to me, to be honest....

and if it brings more viewers to Sunday's telecast...and people like what they see on the track, and tune in another time to ALMS events, that's even better!!!!

Old 14 Jul 2004, 22:02 (Ref:1036802)   #15
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heck, there may be some budding drivers out there who are Junior fans and will decide they want to turn right in their futures after seeing him in the race even if it's not the path to fame and riches.

Last edited by Danske; 14 Jul 2004 at 22:09.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 22:18 (Ref:1036815)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by Danske
Heck, there may be some budding drivers out there who are Junior fans and will decide they want to turn right in their futures after seeing him in the race even if it's not the path to fame and riches.

That would be an added bonus!!!!

Aftr all, there could be some who would prefer to drive a front-engined GTS car like a Vette or Viper than a front-engined Stocker....

But I will add that when Dale ran at Daytona last February, Tony Stewart was much faster and better...in the exact same car...

But Tony isn't exactly the "Poster Boy" who is loved by millions...or even some of his peers in NASCAR....

Old 14 Jul 2004, 22:25 (Ref:1036820)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Now back to other points...

I think Dyson (if they can restart their cars at the end of pit stops) wil be on equal footing with the Audi....

The time they lost in the pits with the starter problems and with the choice of rain tires early on made the difference in the outcome....

BTW....

I don't think Dale Jr. will drive any rougher with competitors than the Audis have in recent outings....

but that ain't saying much....

Finally....

I don't know if the Panoz GT or the Risi Ferrari will have enough to take the Porsches...but I'd love to see one of them do it...

and with the Nissan engine in the Pilbeam, I think Intersport will take LMP2....

Old 14 Jul 2004, 22:33 (Ref:1036830)   #18
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: ALMS at Sears Point Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
The ALMS is back at Infineon this weekend...always an action-filled race....

Some things readily come to mind straight up:

1. Will Dyson be able to defend and pull off another win this year?

2. Will Risi be able to make it two in a row over the Porsche entries?

3. How will the Panoz GT stack up at a track that may not seem to be suited to that chassis (at least from my observations of its power, handling and grip at Mid-Ohio, a track that the Panoz liked very much)

4. Will Sears Point provide a setting for the Saleen to challenge the Corvettes?

5. Can Team Bucknum keep the Willman engine in one piece for an entire weekend?

6. How badly was the Intersport Lola LMP2 hurt at Lime Rock, and will it be competitive at Sears Point???

7. Does anyone really CARE that "Dale Jr. is racing there this weekend???

Your thoughts????
1. With the R8 getting ever older, it should be easier to beat them, and Sonoma is pretty twisty so it suits the Dyson MG better. (they are still running the MG aren't they?)

2. No worthwhile comments

3. ditto

4. Well, I don't know much about the GTS class (or the GT) but from the Le Mans coverage I saw the vettes looked fast there, certainlt=y inproved over recent years. I think they'll be strong.

5. oh dear, don't know who these guys are...

6. ditto 2 and 3

7. Don't care either, mainly because I don't know if the guy's any good, seems just like a bit of hype to me...

Sorry if any of my comments don't really add up, I've not really been keeping abreast of Sportscar developments, other than what I get from planetlemans which I have set as my homepage.

cheers, Will.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 22:39 (Ref:1036835)   #19
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I'll go as far to say that the MG-Lola combination may be a tick quicker than the R8 at Sonoma. But no way does that put them on equal footing with Champion. Champion is a much stronger team and is tops in terms of preparation. Dyson needs perfect reliability to have a chance. The only other ALMS team that may be better prepared is the Pratt and Miller boys. Boy would I love to see them run a prototype. GM should have had them run the Caddy LMP program, or did they?
Old 14 Jul 2004, 22:46 (Ref:1036844)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I thought that Wayne Taylor ran the Caddy program....

At first, they had the Rileys in the program, before having the the newer chassis that they ran for only one season before pulling the plug...just whe they were starting to get results!!!

Don't get me started....

Old 15 Jul 2004, 05:18 (Ref:1036965)   #21
'70 Mach 1
Rookie

United States
Sacramento, CA. USA
'70 Mach 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well ... this is the first ALMS event I have attended in person (I've never even seen the ALMS round from Sonoma on TV because I've always been on vacation this time of year in the past), and Friday cannot arrive soon enough....

1. I'd love to see Dyson defend their win, hopefully the car will be reliable, and pit stops will go smoothly. (Shouldn't have to worry about rain tires, its likely to be in the 80's in Sonoma this weekend)

2. I'd like to see Risi do well, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to repeat. I hope that TRG has a strong run at their home track.

3. I'm anxious to see and hear the Panoz in action, hopefully the team will have the car sorted and running well.

4. I wonder if the third Vette will strain or distract the Corvette team? I'd like to see the Saleen have a strong run, and it'll be interesting to see how the Lambos have progressed with the team having an extra week to catch their breath a bit.

5 & 6. I hope so. With only 3 P2's here this round, I hope that all of the teams have a solid, trouble-free run. I don't follow P2 that much though.

7. I don't care if Jr. is there or not. I do appreciate any extra publicity for the ALMS, but I'd be going to the race regardless. (I'm more anxious to see Boris actually, and this is coming from a recent NASCAR fan, ALMS convert.) One note about "publicity" - heard a radio ad on my way to work this morning for Big-O tires and they are offering discount tickets to the ALMS race, however the person reading the ad pronounced "LeMans" like "Lee-mens" (rhymes with Siemens) ... UGH..

Come on Friday .....!

Last edited by '70 Mach 1; 15 Jul 2004 at 05:19.
Old 15 Jul 2004, 12:56 (Ref:1037243)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Enjoy all aspects of this weekend, 70 Mach 1!!!!

A Few Notes:

You'll like the sound of the Panoz if you like the deep baritone song of a Detroit-based V-8 (and judging from your name, I assume that you do)....

I also hope that you have acquired your paddock pass via purchasing a "Super Ticket," so that you can stroll around the garage area to get some great photos....it is amazing how open and accessible the teams are, and the photo ops are many....although there might be some congestion in the paddock (especially at "Autograph time" due to Dale Jr. being there...)

I have found that the Paddock is perfect on the first day of the events...especially in the morning.....

A Suggestion:

Go to www.imsaracing.net and print out two things:

1. The total weekend schedule -- to figure out which Friday practices of the various Series that you might want to skip (because you can proabably catch a second session of that Series at another time in the weekend before they qualify and race) to spend time in the Paddock area, and

2. The Scrutineering Schedule -- this is an excellent time to get good, in-the-open shots of cars as they are lined up to go through tech....it also is your best opportunity to get up-close shots of the Audi (if you want one) because they usually put up items in their garage that obstruct your view of the car....if you catch them in line for tech, you are literally a foot or two away from the car...

Enjoy yourself!!!!

Boy, do I love the way the ALMS runs their events!!!!

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 15 Jul 2004 at 12:58.

Old 15 Jul 2004, 13:13 (Ref:1037263)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
In case you're wondering "how close" you can get, this is a pic as the Pilbeam was in post-qualifying tech at Mid-Ohio while other fans stood in lines to get autographs from the Corvette Drivers:

Hope that this shot translates well, since the original digital file was so large
Attached Thumbnails
pilbeamnoseten10ths.jpg  

Old 15 Jul 2004, 13:52 (Ref:1037291)   #24
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cool

I don't like this single car qualifying thing though, why is all these series are starting to do it? Though, the ALMS guys seem to be implementing it in the best way for spectators...
Old 15 Jul 2004, 14:00 (Ref:1037297)   #25
'70 Mach 1
Rookie

United States
Sacramento, CA. USA
'70 Mach 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the advice, Tim. Already printed out the weekend schedule, have to get the scrutineering schedule as well. Taking my wife and 3-year old son down on Friday, then coming back down for the weekend with my dad. We have a "Weekend Event Pass" (Assuming its the equivalent to a SuperTicket, they don't list a SuperTicket for Sonoma on the ALMS site, and no mention of needing an extra paddock pass on the Infineon site). And yes, I do love the sounds of the Panoz V8 (I miss the LMP1 - maybe one [or the GTR-1] will show up at Laguna Seca later this year so I can see one in person there). Also looking forward to the Speed GT and Touring cars too...