Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 11 Jun 2001, 23:24 (Ref:104128)   #1
Ken
Rookie

Ken should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed Vision Earnhardt seatbelt pic

I was looking at the Speed Vision web site pic of Earnhardts seatbelts. The pic doesn't make any sense at all . I went and even looked at my two race cars and their Simpsom belts. What we have is the part that goes over the shoulder that is attached to the metal clip. And you have the part that goes through the clip that is pulled to tighten the belt. Now this is where is it wrong. The Police official pic has the part of the belt with the words Simpson and the small patch that says when the belt was made as the part you pull on to tighten the belt. This is wrong as the word Simpson goes over the shoulder and doesn't go through the clip at all but is attached to the metal clip by the factory. The only way this pic could make any sense is the belt was made upside down. Any Steward would see the belt was wrong as you don't have anything but the belt go through the metal clip not the words Simpson or the small date patch so the belt won't slip under pressure More cover up?
PS all belts are strung the same way be it Simpson, Leaf etc etc.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 10:13 (Ref:104706)   #2
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just read the article, and you're right. Something about it makes me smell a rat...

Here's the picture, in case anyone hasn't seen it. Kinda makes ya wonder, don't it?

Old 13 Jun 2001, 18:10 (Ref:104843)   #3
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found it interesting that the article stated something about some of the fibers having a BALL effect on the end of them, which is generally caused by a melting or heat.
Could friction have played as part of the culpret. Friction does cause heat. Or could have the frayed belt fallen on the hot floor...causing some of the fibers to display this.

Overall---I do not blame the belt breaking. It did hold for part of the impact. The autopsy report shows that there was bruising on both of his hips from the restraint devices. It might have played PART.
I guess we'll find out in August. Huh?
Old 14 Jun 2001, 20:52 (Ref:105265)   #4
Ken
Rookie

Roselady3: in all my years of being around a track I have never seen a belt strung like the one in the pic. I have never heard first hand of a belt breaking that wasn't installed properly. With so many stories from he didn't hit his face to he did to the belts were in place when they took to roof panel off . Also the way Nascar is fighting to keep the pix away from the public eyes. It as Tim B said smells like a rat. I feel that Nascar should have come clean right from day one and we wouldn't still be talking about how he died only he died.
Old 14 Jun 2001, 21:10 (Ref:105271)   #5
Roselady3
Veteran

Sounds like you know much more than I on how the belts are strung in the cars.
I have based my thoughts on it all off the autopsy report.
I certainly agree with you on the irresponsible acts on Nascars part.
That has miffed me off from day one!
I don't know if I can believe any report from them. I would only trust a 3rd party investigation.
As for the stories about him NOT hitting his head-
He had 2 exterior abrasions on his head. One on the left side of his head. COULD have been from his helmet. (you would probally know more about the construction of a helmet than I ) The second abrasion was on the left side of his chin. Outside of his helmet area.
TOO many conflicting stories out of the Nascar camp. I'm Beginning to feel that it will be a real cold day in August before we all know the truth.
Old 14 Jun 2001, 21:50 (Ref:105280)   #6
Ken
Rookie

By the time it is over we will think it was the guy on the grassy knoll. A driver died in an accedent he shouldn't have , just tell us why and that's it. ( sorry I posted it as a new topic by mistake. )
Old 14 Jun 2001, 22:45 (Ref:105297)   #7
Roselady3
Veteran

Unfortunatly

Nascar's research into this all makes them look like fools.
Which, unfortunatly reflects on us.I live in a North suburban UPPITY YUPPYVILLE area, not many fans here. When all those soccer mom's find out that I am a Nascar ADDICT...they think that I'm a fool. Just when I thought that the reputation was past the good 'ol boyz redneck southern reputation...we have Nascar behaving like idiots!
Why can't they fess up & say--oopps our areo package for the restrictor races, isn't the safest. & Wow...maybe the cars chassis are being made too stiff. Let's get it out in the open & fix the problem.