Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 26 Jan 2001, 09:20 (Ref:60385)   #1
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

The Crystal Ship is being filled
A 1000 girls, a 1000 thrills ...

If Jim Morrison would have been a petrolhead he probably would have sung something like:
A 1000 bhp, a 1000 Nm, a 1000 kg, a 1000 thrills ...

At least I know when I was a kid and still unaware of the thrill of girls, those were the chats that regularly passed by. 'What would you do when you'd won the lottery?', 'I'd buy myself a Countach, a Pantera, a Vantage' etc. Kid's stuff ofcourse. When you grow older, you actually, beside the thrill of girls, start to drive and learn to drive faster and faster. Some of us even might start to drive their cars on tracks, earning the proud title of 'racing driver' which in turn does very well among the kids so they can start fantasizing about which monster machine you actually drive.

Along the way one loses that 'magic machine' innocence. You become aware that even the Countach's, Pantera's and Vantage's in this world have their shortcomings, even dynamically. So here goes: describe your perfect car, your dream machine. It doesn't need to be actually existent, but it should be technically feasible and explainable. Describe the details, the handling, the looks ... everything!
Old 26 Jan 2001, 20:27 (Ref:60481)   #2
desmo
Rookie

desmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
..a thousand ways to spend your time.

I digress, but your post put me in the mood to rock to some Doors. I'm off to the CD stack now, thanks.
Old 26 Jan 2001, 21:02 (Ref:60488)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd prefer a small, nimble, lightweight and modestly powerful car. Curb weight around 1800 pounds. Wheelbase around 90 inches. Can be a roadster, but not at the sacrifice of vision with the top up. Around 200hp would do nicely. Rear wheel drive would be optimum, but can live with front-wheel drive and active differential, like Honda Prelude SH. No turbo. Must have 80% of torque available at 2500rpm. Sixteen or 17" wheels and 11.0 inch disk brakes. Nice supportive but comfortable seats. Very short throw gearbox, nicely spaced gears for excellent midrange acceleration.
Old 6 Feb 2001, 15:58 (Ref:62872)   #4
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Closest 'real' thing that springs to mind, KC, would be a Lotus Elise or one of its derivates.

Mine should be as light as possible as well. Sufficient but light noise for instance. Windows could be made of plexiglass. Just a little stereo and climate-control to keep circumstances healthy. The less electronics the better. Mid-rear-engine, rear wheel driven. Concept a bit like Ferrari's gorgeous V8 in the 360. Three liter V8 or V10, revs up to 10.000 rpm (I love that wholing sound ). Power output about 400 hp with a tiny comprex and intercooler. Adjustable valve lift and timing. Pre-set injection programs. 7 speed sequential gearbox with quick-shifter. Seat arrangement like the McLaren F1 thus the driver i the middle of the car. Cockpit made of glued aluminium profiles, like used for the Elise, acting as a roll-cage as well. Carbon-fibre ofcourse for the 'carozzeria'. Suspension F3000 derived mounted on engine-cockpit. Ceramic brakes and mag-wheels to keep weight as low as possible. Little oilcoolers for gearbox and differential in the sides. The engine's radiators in the front. The tyres could be something special. Hard to realize but I was thinking about a tyre with a retractable thread pattern so switchable from slicks to profiled tires for wet conditions. When the curb weight could be 900 kg it would be an incredible car. Looks? Something like a modern GT40 would be gorgeous wouldn't it?