Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 23 Mar 2010, 10:45 (Ref:2658496)   #1251
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Cue usual suspect number one.

Sorry stedevil, but you are just plain wrong. Airwaves withdrawing sponsorship had nothing to do with Collard, and Airwaves coming back had nothing to do with Collard leaving.
If it looks, smells and feels like poo, I will assume it's poo, not chocolate. Not much point in you trying to convince me that it is chocolate based on 0 substantial facts.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 10:49 (Ref:2658500)   #1252
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mattt is right, the Golf was bought in from the Baltic Championship, so AmD wouldn't be classified as a constructor. If they were eligble, then so would every other team on the grid.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 10:59 (Ref:2658502)   #1253
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Great to see Jackson get a seat at Motorbase. Glad Kane is back too, very solid line-up there!
Indeed, and 2 really nice guys as well. Hope they have a great year and can challenge Plato for the title.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 11:06 (Ref:2658505)   #1254
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
According to the entry list: Honda, Chevrolet and Ford for were eligible for the constructors but i think vauxhall should be on the list too.
Maybe they are off the list for running the NGTC engine? Just a guess.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2658510)   #1255
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe they haven't chosen to enter, like RML last year. After all, they have no confirmed drivers yet, so why pay the non-refundable entry fee for two drivers and also for the constructors championship? If and when they do appear, they will be able to enter that category should they wish.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 11:30 (Ref:2658519)   #1256
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Summary:

At the moment from, from those that appeared on 09, we've lost Giovanardi, Turkington, Jonny Adam, James Nash, Martyn Bell, Adam Jones, Dan Eaves, Alan Morrison, Jonny Herbert, James Thompson and Stephen Jelley.

But we've gained Alex MacDowell, Steven Kane (again), Lea Wood, Martin Depper, Arthur Forster, Shaun Hollamby, Tom Boardman (again), Andy Neate, and whoever turns up in the Triple 8 Vauxhalls (I'm expecting a BTCC rookie, and someone with BTCC experience), and probably a couple more cars to come out (I'm thinking RML running a Lacetti if they have one left).

Despite the changes, I agree with Alan Gow's comments, and I'm really looking forwards to this year.

“Just to remind people of a few facts: our trackside crowds are often bigger than many Premiership football games; we are watched by many millions on TV, in both the UK and right around the world, thanks to our truly terrific broadcast partner ITV; we enjoy the tremendous support of a hugely passionate title sponsor in Dunlop; plus, the free admission for children and unrivalled interaction between the public and the stars all make the BTCC a unique sporting attraction.

“The BTCC remains way ahead of all other motor racing series in Britain in terms of public profile, variety, action, competitive rivalry, unpredictability, popularity and levels of professionalism… and our entry list again underlines its stature. In fact, many other international series look at our championship with real envy. I look forward to what promises to be another phenomenal season in the BTCC’s illustrious history.”
Old 23 Mar 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2658520)   #1257
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting things to note from the images on btccpages. Motorbase have gone for the upgraded 2009-spec front splitter, while the car doesn't seem to carry much Airwave branding at the moment. I assume this is a work in progress? WSR running with the white and blue paintjob, with some HM Plant branding on the car. Pinkney with his black, pink and white paintjob as expected. Team Honda running with Cartridge World logos on the front bumper. Sunshine have a new white, orange and blue livery. Aon running with a revised very of Andy Blackmore's livery. They've got a slightly better change between the blue and the white now.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 11:50 (Ref:2658530)   #1258
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pinkney and Jordan have the best looking cars on the grid this year, in my opinion .
Old 23 Mar 2010, 11:53 (Ref:2658533)   #1259
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Pinkney's would be better without that white stripe at the front that goes over the headlights.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2658538)   #1260
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
If it looks, smells and feels like poo, I will assume it's poo, not chocolate. Not much point in you trying to convince me that it is chocolate based on 0 substantial facts.
Yet you assume its poo in the first place based on 0 substantial facts. Bit hypocrite isn't it?
Old 23 Mar 2010, 12:21 (Ref:2658551)   #1261
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
Yet you assume its poo in the first place based on 0 substantial facts. Bit hypocrite isn't it?
Airwaves leaving -> Collard leaving -> Airwaves returning

How is that not a fact?
Old 23 Mar 2010, 12:22 (Ref:2658553)   #1262
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
It's 9 years since Paul O'Neill first entered the BTCC. Why is he still being announced as "the brother of pop star Mel C"? Surely the guy's done enough now to be recognised on his own merits. Just going on the official story about the entry list on btcc.net there.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 12:28 (Ref:2658556)   #1263
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:

How is that not a fact?
Quote:
Motorbase Performance team boss David Bartrum is deeply disappointed on their now previous driver Rob Collard for switching to rival BMW team West Surrey Racing.
"Naturally I am disappointed that Rob has opted to go elsewhere because as far as we were aware we had an agreement and I believed him to be a man of his word," said Bartrum to Motorsport News.
http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=4495

From reading this topic I understand Wrigley UK had new management last year. They quit all (motor)sport sponsoring. What it looks like they have changed their mind.

I don't see a link between the departure of Collard and the returning of Airwaves.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 12:29 (Ref:2658557)   #1264
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It's 9 years since Paul O'Neill first entered the BTCC. Why is he still being announced as "the brother of pop star Mel C"? Surely the guy's done enough now to be recognised on his own merits. Just going on the official story about the entry list on btcc.net there.
Didn't know this
Old 23 Mar 2010, 12:29 (Ref:2658558)   #1265
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

How is that not a fact?
You are assuming correlation == causality. I think you need to stick in at school a bit more. (I assume from your posting your about 12? You'll be taught the difference soon )
Old 23 Mar 2010, 12:59 (Ref:2658575)   #1266
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What size are the wheel rims for the S2000 cars? I remember the ST rims were 19" in size, but can't remember if the S2000's are 16" or 17"...?
Old 23 Mar 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2658576)   #1267
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
17".
Old 23 Mar 2010, 13:26 (Ref:2658582)   #1268
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
According the NGTC spec they have larger wheels/tyres so I assume they will use 19".

Last edited by FIRE; 23 Mar 2010 at 13:33.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 13:47 (Ref:2658593)   #1269
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
You are assuming correlation == causality.
Yes I'm assuming. Red is ALSO assuming. The difference is that he is 110% sure he is right and 200% sure I'm wrong. Based on what? It's 2 theories, but the only one that appears to at least have some correlation to reality is absolutely NOT correct? Do you share this analysis?

Quote:
I think you need to stick in at school a bit more. (I assume from your posting your about 12? You'll be taught the difference soon )
The only thing you prove by writing that is that you might be talking about yourself.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 13:53 (Ref:2658597)   #1270
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Yes I'm assuming. Red is ALSO assuming. The difference is that he is 110% sure he is right and 200% sure I'm wrong. Based on what? It's 2 theories, but the only one that appears to at least have some correlation to reality is absolutely NOT correct? Do you share this analysis?
You've made a guess and got it wrong. Seriously, trust Redshoes on this

I am not exactly Collard's #1 fan, but he is not the reason Airwaves left/came back.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 15:21 (Ref:2658644)   #1271
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Big shame there are no Volvo C30's on the grid, oh well.

Are the 888 entries likely to materialise?
Old 23 Mar 2010, 15:22 (Ref:2658647)   #1272
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
They've paid their money, so they must be confident of it.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2658650)   #1273
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Confusing statement attributed to Tom Chilton in evo's news story about the new season.
Quote:
From evo.co.uk
‘I’ve never done so many test days!’ says Chilton. ‘The development team have really gone to town to get it sorted. It hasn’t quite got the punch of a petrol engine but that’s why we’ve got a turbo. Pit stops have been the only problem, the crew think LPG’s more dangerous to refuel, but it’s not’.
http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/24...cars_2010.html

A turbo?!
Old 23 Mar 2010, 15:33 (Ref:2658651)   #1274
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the interviews on btcc.net this morning...

Forster: not used to RWD. Team has the ex Jackson BMWs, Martin has the '07, Arthur the '08 car.

Depper: hampered by lack of dry weather testing. Sounds like very good mates with Forster

Jordan: reckons new tyre will even out FWD/RWD relative advantages. Team looked at running a BMW, but engine costs would have been £100k more (!) compared to NGTC plant. Pirtek are very happy and stepping up their involvement despite the economy.

Neal: Civic so different to the Vectra; new suspension, new front and rear-ends along with engine upgrades coming. Already "moaning" about the Cruze's special dispensations, NGTC-engines and the Fords' turbos.

Shedden: It's like "getting the old band back together" with TD. Seems to have put '09 behind him, and looking forward to 2010. Civic has changed a lot since start of '09 - has been completely rebuilt since the end of last season. Wary of multi-million pound development behind the Chevvies, and the German-built Beemers compared to the small-team built Civic.

Chilton: LPG means they have a lot less "bang" than everyone else (7,000 rpm, which is1,500 less than everyone else) so are running a turbo. Team have done 15 days testing over the winter! Beast of a fuel tank in the back has upset the handling. Reckons Plato will be his main contender for the title this year.

Boardman: happy to be returning, doesn't feel like it's a step backwards moving from WTCC to BTCC in his "black stallion".

Neate: 50G+ Silverstone accident was going to be the end of his career. Metal plate in his neck is effectively like wearing a permanent HANS device. Always wanted to be in touring cars, 2010 is the culmination of many years working on a BTCC deal. Wasn't ruling out Turkington being on the grid come Thruxton...

Johnson: Sights set on a top 6 this year, looking forward to wet races.

Hamilton: Hadn't driven FWD before his Civic outings last year, but still in his learning phase of touring car career. Realistically aiming for top-10s in the second half of the season.

O'Neill: Funding not 100% secured for the whole year, but no different at this stage to 2009. Really appreciative to inspirational management of Marvin at Tech-Speed for giving him such a great car last year.

Collard: Difficult decision to move teams, but reckons WSR is his best bet for the year, team still working to get Colin back in a car.

Hollamby: has nigh-on 30 years racing experience. BTCC programme is basically a collaboration between AMD and Milltek - chose the Golf, despite it not being as good (on paper) as a SEAT as the former will gain the more publicity. TV and media coverage an important part of the programme, but also looking to be respectable in the BTCC.

Kane: Spent a year out working for JP/Williams/F2. Deal was sorted with Dave Bartrum two weeks ago. Team has a better budget compared to 2008 and reckons car has made a lot of development since then.

The OC: Focus is a completely different car. LPG makes car much heavier, but the team are working on rectifying that. All their testing has been done on their own so difficult to gauge relative pace. Testing in Spain was still wet and below freezing at times.. so good practice for BTCC meetings.

Plato: Doesn't know much about McDowell, but sure he will be fast despite his lack of karting. JP a team-mate who can push him. Expecting Jackson, Collard, Neal to be strong. Reckons motorsport is always a year behind the rest of the economy, hence no Turkington ("at the moment"). Sponsorship at the BTCC level "definitely works" but unfortunately it's the first thing that gets pulled and the last thing that gets re-instated on a corporate budget. Hopes Colin takes solace from what JP achieved last year, and reckons the championship would be a poorer place without him.

Gow: Hard work all done over off-season, all credit to the teams. Expects inevitable joiners during the year. BTCC has unrivalled TV package and fanbase as far as British motorsport is concerned. Aon won't be runnig the LPGs unless they reckoned it would be at least an advanted (mentions that john George was actually the first LPG entrant!). NGTC - Pirkek/Jordan wouldn't be on the grid without the cost savings of that engine. Yes there's no Turkington at the moment due to funding - "welcome to the real world" but "I would be putting money on Colin appearing during the course of the year... I don't think Colin will be missing for the whole year". Acknowledges the fantastic and enthusiastic fan support for the BTCC and all those who've come along to Brands.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2658655)   #1275
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Interesting. So we have FWD S2000, RWD S2000, FWD S2000 with NGTC engine, FWD S2000 with a turbo LPG engine and BTC spec cars. Add the numerous dispensations and waivers and Steve Neal will have a lot to moan about.