Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 May 2004, 13:49 (Ref:964286)   #1
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spinnaker Dallara Pics & Info

Apologies if someone has already posted this - but couldn't see it in a quick check.

Nice pics from Clan Des Team of the Dallara (MG) Judd at LM PQ on the CDT site (also worth a quick browse)

http://www.clandesteam.it/endurance_...a/gallery1.asp

BTW, am I unique (I know I'm unusual ) in following closely both Le Mans and Americas Cup? The entry of Clan Des Team in the latter is causing much interest - they are the ONLY team to have paid the 1 million euro entrance fee so far.

Am I right in assuming the backing for the Dallara (and by inference the yachting team) comes from Rocky Agusta?

Any one any lowdown on this? Spinnaker/CDT are a bit of a mystery in both circles.

Mariantic

Last edited by mariantic; 8 May 2004 at 13:52.
Old 8 May 2004, 15:40 (Ref:964342)   #2
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Spinnaker Dallara Pics & Info

Quote:
Originally posted by mariantic
Am I right in assuming the backing for the Dallara (and by inference the yachting team) comes from Rocky Agusta?
Yes I believe so.
Old 10 May 2004, 05:30 (Ref:966111)   #3
RobweenerPI
Rookie

RobweenerPI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was about as fast as a sailboat during the test days too And to think they didn't admit any of the good MK3C's to the race.
Old 10 May 2004, 13:38 (Ref:966490)   #4
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
slightly OT, mariantic, but can you put here some link for a place where I can follow the America's Cup? I want to cry over what we here in Portugal let go to Spain...
Old 10 May 2004, 14:49 (Ref:966556)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Cadete
slightly OT, mariantic, but can you put here some link for a place where I can follow the America's Cup? I want to cry over what we here in Portugal let go to Spain...
Don't cry, your country has the European Championship Football.

The Spinnaker has a boring livery.

Last edited by FIRE; 10 May 2004 at 14:50.
Old 10 May 2004, 15:18 (Ref:966593)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
But likeable team !

I'm soooo disapointed by their late performances... hope they'll improve 'till june, sincerely...
Old 10 May 2004, 15:20 (Ref:966597)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Are the people who run the team experienced?
Old 10 May 2004, 15:44 (Ref:966618)   #8
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Spinnaker Dallara Pics & Info

Quote:
Originally posted by mariantic
BTW, am I unique (I know I'm unusual ) in following closely both Le Mans and Americas Cup? The entry of Clan Des Team in the latter is causing much interest - they are the ONLY team to have paid the 1 million euro entrance fee so far.
Not quite, I'm a fairly avid sailor myself (Farr40, Swan45, J109 to name a few), and spent a great deal of time during the last Cup studying any and every technical article about the boats I could find (including many hours on the AC site, and my head stuck in Seahourse and Yachting World magazines). I also watched almost all of the final Cup races on virtual spectator, I will always remeber being captivated when Alinghi rolled over the top of TNZ on the final leg of one race. I was furiously comparing "the Numbers" trying to see if they could pull it off... which they did

Also helps when my brother works in the boat prep business, and comes into contact with a number of current and Ex Cup sailors (he knows a number of the GBR crew, who had some very interesting stories about the other [unraced] team GBR boat from the last cup....)

Interesting to note about them being the only Euro team so far, but I wouldn't worry too much, as GBR I think are lining up to place theirs soon too (from a fairly reliable source, who I happend to be sailing with a couple of weeks back). Also I would have though K-Challenge, Luna-Rossa and the South African guys would have these in soon too

Oh and the car looks good too

Last edited by Try Hard; 10 May 2004 at 15:47.
Old 10 May 2004, 15:46 (Ref:966622)   #9
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
Are the people who run the team experienced?
Almo Coppelli and Rocky Agusta did the race in the 90'...

Sylvain Boulay is an experienced french professionnal pilot.
Old 10 May 2004, 16:52 (Ref:966671)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Try Hard
very interesting stories about the other [unraced] team GBR boat from the last cup....)
Was this the Philips sponsored boat?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Almo Coppelli and Rocky Agusta did the race in the 90'...

Sylvain Boulay is an experienced french professionnal pilot.
I mean more the technical people of the team.
Old 10 May 2004, 17:57 (Ref:966723)   #11
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Just to be completely remote form sportscars for a sec....

The Phillips boat you mention would be Team Phillips. It was a boat construced for The Race, but unfortuantly lost during a massive storm. . It was also the one that publicly snapped its bow on a sea trial, this was due to a manufacturing fault caused by the extrme nature of the design, however the reason the boat was lost is not the same (another story, not really the place to go into it here, unless one of the mods ok's it)

However this is not the same as an Americas Cup class (IACC) boat. The AC boats are awesome beasts weighing in at about 25 tons, 20 odd tons of that hanging off the bottom of a boat in the keel...
There was a very good article comparing a IACC with an F1 car in a recent issue (april 2004 iirc) of Top Gear Mag, made for some interesting reading, as I can happily relate to both. I think some guys figured out that the sails produce the equivilent of about 300bhp upwind, and near 500bhp donwind.
GBR Challenge was set-up by a guy called Peter Harrison of Chernikeff fame, for the last cup. They have their base in Cowes.
GBR Challenge Website
I recomend having a look at some of the pics, and take not there are no guard rails or anything like that, if you fall over the side (which does happen), you get left behind . I remember seeing some funny footage of that happening, thankfully the guy managed to hold on to a line and hauled himself back on board.

you see you got me started now....

Ed
Old 10 May 2004, 18:07 (Ref:966733)   #12
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They must have been going upstream all the way at Monza.
Old 11 May 2004, 05:23 (Ref:967201)   #13
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
there are no guard rails or anything like that, if you fall over the side (which does happen), you get left behind .
Ed, what about falling over from the Spinnaker in "les Hunaudières" ? Oops !
Old 11 May 2004, 08:04 (Ref:967307)   #14
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Old 11 May 2004, 11:20 (Ref:967513)   #15
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
Don't cry, your country has the European Championship Football.

oh great, I'm gonna have the pleasure of watching 22 people running after a ball... I prefer seeing cars or boats going round and round :P
Old 11 May 2004, 11:41 (Ref:967536)   #16
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Does the Spinnaker car have to carry life jackets, or tow a dinghi?
Old 11 May 2004, 12:18 (Ref:967571)   #17
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Dinghy, cybers... Never know might need a liferaft if they start sinking....

And cadette, the cup is a little way off yet, 2007 I believe, but I think all the regukar places would have info for it. I know http://www.americascup.com is up and running, plus up to date.

I'll have a look at virtual spectator again too, it was really good being able to watch the races on the PC of the last cup
Old 11 May 2004, 13:51 (Ref:967683)   #18
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Dinghy, cybers...
Thingy!
Old 11 May 2004, 16:38 (Ref:967834)   #19
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Karl Kling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If we have a rainy race like 2001 - please don't ban me... - their sailng experience might be useful...
Old 12 May 2004, 20:25 (Ref:969122)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the "LM Entry" Thread, Fab reported that a story in "ouest-France" stated that the drivers who have been part of the "Boat People's" team are jumping ship....and allegedly there aren't peoiple standing in line to replace them...

Fab noted that the story said they may not be able to run LM....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 12 May 2004, 21:03 (Ref:969168)   #21
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
weren't some of the mechanics supplied by Raffeneli? are these the guys who jumped over board?
Old 12 May 2004, 21:12 (Ref:969176)   #22
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I belive you are right there Ed, I think Raffeneli has leant them to Spinnaker
Old 12 May 2004, 21:13 (Ref:969178)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
at one point someone said that there were personnel from last year's Durango team involved with this crew....

I don't know much about the "Boat People" at all....

Fab said that it was drivers who bailed out...and his source was ouest-france

I'm not at all familiar with that news source....

Old 12 May 2004, 21:15 (Ref:969181)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Sorry about the bad puns...they were unintentional, believe me...

except for the "Boat People"...since they seeme to be refugees from othr operations that don't seem to be racing and they are tied somehow with the Yachting bunch...

Old 12 May 2004, 21:27 (Ref:969195)   #25
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I think some of the team principles were previously "Durango" Team principles and that some of the Rafannelli boys were loaned to help out . I did also hear that some of the Oreca boys were there too ?