Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 15 Feb 2018, 07:22 (Ref:3801454)   #501
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Half term activity day?
Yes, first steps for a Honda Cadet driver. He wasn't put off thankfully but we did call it a day just after lunch.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 15 Feb 2018, 07:27 (Ref:3801457)   #502
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Quite a graphic description, isn't it?

What's much more surprising is the fact he found a policeman in a rural police station! Neither exist today.

Old 15 Feb 2018, 07:30 (Ref:3801459)   #503
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Certainly very detailed. This lighter comment struck me-

"My pal and I were travelling towards Holt in his ancient Morris Minor on the night of the incident. We were about 5 miles from Holt after Cowleys's finest had just managed to get us up one of the highest and steepest hills in Norfolk (about 300ft !) in second gear."

For those not familiar, there are some short but very steep hills in that area of Norfolk!
Pretty well every road into Holt involves a hill - I know, I cycled them all in my youth! (yes Bob, really). Holt does actually mean something like 'wooded hilltop'.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 07:37 (Ref:3801462)   #504
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
What's much more surprising is the fact he found a policeman in a rural police station! Neither exist today.

It was a fair-sized newly-built Police Station in those days & served quite a wide area. Not sure what it's status is these days but judging by the debacle in Cromer last summer, probably not manned at all. It's on the Norwich Road, next to the Fire Station, Mike, which if memory serves me correctly, was built at about the same time.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 07:39 (Ref:3801464)   #505
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

Quite! If my memory serves me correctly there was a tiny and picturesque flint built police house / station just on the outskirts of the town. Sure John will put me right....... Edit- he has and I was wrong!

On another subject, it’s often said that ‘the law is an ass’. Reported this morning is the increase in under (driving licence) age teenagers caught driving, and successfully prosecuted. The punishment is a driving ban, which is put into place immediately. So most serve the driving ban while not being able to hold a driving licence. When they reach the legal age of 17, the ban has been served, so they can immediately start driving.......
Old 15 Feb 2018, 08:55 (Ref:3801486)   #506
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Quite! If my memory serves me correctly there was a tiny and picturesque flint built police house / station just on the outskirts of the town. Sure John will put me right....... Edit- he has and I was wrong!

On another subject, it’s often said that ‘the law is an ass’. Reported this morning is the increase in under (driving licence) age teenagers caught driving, and successfully prosecuted. The punishment is a driving ban, which is put into place immediately. So most serve the driving ban while not being able to hold a driving licence. When they reach the legal age of 17, the ban has been served, so they can immediately start driving.......
The old Police Station on Station Road was (from memory) a flint & brick-built house, probably Georgian era. Subsequently owned by a character called Billy Dunham who both operated a driving school and a green-grocers. I was taught to drive in the school's Fiat 850 by the young instructor who worked for him. He also played in a band that appeared in Opportunity Knocks. I have a feeling the band is still going.

Happy Days, as Iain would say!
Old 15 Feb 2018, 09:10 (Ref:3801493)   #507
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Pretty well every road into Holt involves a hill - I know, I cycled them all in my youth! (yes Bob, really). Holt does actually mean something like 'wooded hilltop'.
Up here in the Pennines, they would say that you were making a mountain out of a molehill!
Old 15 Feb 2018, 09:13 (Ref:3801494)   #508
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Equally, if not even more stupid, is the driving bans given to those found guilty of really serious driving offences, such as death due to dangerous driving, where the ban is served whilst the offender is in prison.

Surely, to be effective, the ban should come into effect on release from prison.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3801495)   #509
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Up here in the Pennines, they would say that you were making a mountain out of a molehill!
Don't knock it Mike, I am eagerly awaiting JE's memories of the Singing Postman! Ooh Ah! Me ole Darlin' 'ave yoo gotta a loight?
Old 15 Feb 2018, 09:48 (Ref:3801508)   #510
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Don't knock it Mike, I am eagerly awaiting JE's memories of the Singing Postman! Ooh Ah! Me ole Darlin' 'ave yoo gotta a loight?
I've met him Bob, I've even got his autograph if you want it!

By the way, your spelling's dreadful. Try "a-yer gott-a loight buoy?
Old 15 Feb 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3801539)   #511
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I've met him Bob, I've even got his autograph if you want it!

By the way, your spelling's dreadful. Try "a-yer gott-a loight buoy?
I thought that was a bar of soap John!
Old 15 Feb 2018, 11:19 (Ref:3801543)   #512
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I thought that was a bar of soap John!
Old 15 Feb 2018, 11:54 (Ref:3801551)   #513
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

Enough of your flannel!
Old 15 Feb 2018, 12:04 (Ref:3801555)   #514
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
John, plobally you got a lot of vondellfool ottoglafs ovel ze yeals… And Bob made so many intellviews and shake hands he can't count his fingells…
By Jove, my colectoll just blue out ! Callamba…
Old 15 Feb 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3801557)   #515
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Equally, if not even more stupid, is the driving bans given to those found guilty of really serious driving offences, such as death due to dangerous driving, where the ban is served whilst the offender is in prison.

Surely, to be effective, the ban should come into effect on release from prison.
Yes, that would make more sense. I guess it’s the same badly worded legislation!
Old 15 Feb 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3801572)   #516
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
We've mentioned Allan Smethurst, aka The Singing Postman before, and rightly so. His songs very fondly remembered by many. While we’re mentioning Norfolk, and Norwich in particular, I see Alan Partridge is coming back on the beeb! Not sure the episodes are centred on the area, as the previous series were, though.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...alan-partridge
Old 15 Feb 2018, 13:42 (Ref:3801579)   #517
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
We've mentioned Allan Smethurst, aka The Singing Postman before, and rightly so. His songs very fondly remembered by many. While we’re mentioning Norfolk, and Norwich in particular, I see Alan Partridge is coming back on the beeb! Not sure the episodes are centred on the area, as the previous series were, though.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...alan-partridge
Yes, Bob may mock, but Allan Smethurst was quite a big star in his time & one of the few musical acts I've ever seen perform live - at Heacham Village Carnival!

...and speaking of Norfolk news, I'd seen about the demise of Oyster Yachts but what I didn't realise was that it's the company I knew better as Landamore's, another familiar old name gone.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 13:48 (Ref:3801580)   #518
midgetman
Veteran

Hang on, I'm just hacking into the BBC web site to see if I can point the address for BBC News Norfolk to this forum.

In other news, traffic was backing up through Bromham today because a horse was blocking up half the road. We had my lorry and one car seriously inconvenienced.

"Fake news"? Maybe

Old 15 Feb 2018, 15:39 (Ref:3801602)   #519
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

On another subject, it’s often said that ‘the law is an ass’. Reported this morning is the increase in under (driving licence) age teenagers caught driving, and successfully prosecuted. The punishment is a driving ban, which is put into place immediately. So most serve the driving ban while not being able to hold a driving licence.When they reach the legal age of 17, the ban has been served, so they can immediately start driving.......
Well, yes in theory but they will never be able to afford the insurance ....
Old 15 Feb 2018, 16:16 (Ref:3801605)   #520
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Well, yes in theory but they will never be able to afford the insurance ....
So they'll drive without it then! Simples....

And thank you very much to whoever mentioned The Singing Postman first- I've been humming 'My little nicotine gal' all afternoon....
Old 15 Feb 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3801608)   #521
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
So they'll drive without it then! Simples....
Well, they are already quite used to that.

Cheap motoring.

Just keep stea..... er, "changing" cars and the ANPR cameras will all have to me upgraded to facial recognition as well to have any potential for identifying miscreants.

At which point maybe they will make driving without a licence, road tax or insurance a non-offence in order to reduce the crime rate.

By around 2040 once the all electric, autonomous only state run electric pod transport system is fully implemented none of the "crimes" will have relevance.

More to the point anyone who the authorities wish to talk to can just be collected and driven directly to a place where they can have questions asked of them.

Problem eliminated.

Today's 16 year old miscreant will still only be 38 at the time.

Old 15 Feb 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3801611)   #522
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Well, they are already quite used to that.

Cheap motoring.

Just keep stea..... er, "changing" cars and the ANPR cameras will all have to me upgraded to facial recognition as well to have any potential for identifying miscreants.

At which point maybe they will make driving without a licence, road tax or insurance a non-offence in order to reduce the crime rate.

By around 2040 once the all electric, autonomous only state run electric pod transport system is fully implemented none of the "crimes" will have relevance.

More to the point anyone who the authorities wish to talk to can just be collected and driven directly to a place where they can have questions asked of them.

Problem eliminated.

Today's 16 year old miscreant will still only be 38 at the time.

Thankfully I'll be 88 & hopefully out of it!
Old 15 Feb 2018, 17:39 (Ref:3801619)   #523
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Thankfully I'll be 88 & hopefully out of it!
It'll be great John. So long as you can afford it.

No horrendous drives to weary you.

No health concerns about licence and sight to be concerned about.

Everyone an unlicenced passenger.

Your carer will know where you are at all times.

By the age of 88 I doubt most of us will have many cares beyond those.

All roads around here totally screwed again this afternoon.

Google now reporting M1 delays down to 33mins - about an hour less than they were a while back.

Who needs to travel in such conditions?
Old 15 Feb 2018, 17:53 (Ref:3801623)   #524
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Further to the above delays report ....

Pre-dawn this morning someo0ne trying to reverse at speed along the M1 lost control , hit the barrier, flipped the car and then made off.

At some point in the morning there was a "serious" accident southbound between J25 and J24 causing some havoc and then this afternoon a van broke down in the RH lane northbound between 24 and 25.

You have to wonder if they are just using this section as a live HATO training centre.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3801633)   #525
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Further to the above delays report ....

Pre-dawn this morning someo0ne trying to reverse at speed along the M1 lost control , hit the barrier, flipped the car and then made off.

At some point in the morning there was a "serious" accident southbound between J25 and J24 causing some havoc and then this afternoon a van broke down in the RH lane northbound between 24 and 25.

You have to wonder if they are just using this section as a live HATO training centre.
I read both the M23 & A3 had blockages caused by multi-vehicle accidents within a short space of time this morning.
Closed Thread