Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Dec 2004, 23:01 (Ref:1178768)   #1
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda promises Button he'll be World Champ in three years

According to reports on PlanetF1.com, which in turn quotes Revved Up, Honda Racing President, Shoichi Tanaka, has stated that Honda aims to win the World Championship within three years, and hopes to persuade Button to stay beyond 2005, when his current contract expires.

"We've set ourselves a target of three years in which we want to win the World Championship. We have a contract with Jenson for next year and it is our job to prove to him that we are capable of challenging the top teams again. Jenson wants to race for the best team he can and if we can prove we are faster than Williams I'm sure he'll stay with us."

The full report is here.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 01:52 (Ref:1178853)   #2
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect that Sato will be there as long as Honda is.

Davidson wants a BAR seat (well he has no choice at the moment)

and Button wants to leave.

I suspect that Jenson will leave regardless, and Davidson will be left out of the loop.. prefering an experienced campaigner to take them to a WDC.

Maybe this is where Heidfeld fits into the bill after an interim year at Williams in 2005.

Williams 2006

Mark Webber
Jenson Button

BAR 2006
Nick Heidfeld
Takuma Sato

Ant will probably head off to Sauber or Renualt to replace Giancarlo or Villeneuve.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 02:14 (Ref:1178861)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't David Richard's say that he was going to make Button a WDC in three years when he signed him?
Although I would put more faith in Honda!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 14 Dec 2004, 02:23 (Ref:1178867)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Champ in three years?
A pretty sensible prediction overall-especially as shu will likely be gone by then making it a distinct possiblility (not just bullsh*t talk)
Old 14 Dec 2004, 02:56 (Ref:1178875)   #5
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
When is Schu contracted to ?

and can he retire without breaking a Ferrari contract ?
Old 14 Dec 2004, 04:53 (Ref:1178895)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Schumacher has a contract ending in 2006. But Brawn has openly declared that Michael is free to hang up his helmet when he decides to, irregardless of the contract.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 05:00 (Ref:1178898)   #7
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
I thought it was longer then 2006... like 2008 or something.

Micheal will be 36 next year ? what are the odds he will remain in F1 into his 40's ?
Old 14 Dec 2004, 05:08 (Ref:1178899)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wasn't this about Button?

Irrespective of the Shoe's longevity the aim if not the ability to achieve it is realistic. However a corporation like Honda has never succeeded against the flexibility of a team ethos and that's where I think DR would have been more successful.

[Cynic]Honda's record is patchy. It comes and goes at will. The Japanese economy has been hit by oil prices and now the Japanese recovery is slowing down. I can see lots of face saving actions being taken and thus I suspect we'll be lucky if Honda is still there in three years.[/Cynic]

That said Jensen has as much chance there as at Williams based on recent experience.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:02 (Ref:1179028)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure they 'promised' anything - they've said that they'll make a big effort towards winning it within 3 years, but they know as well as anyone that you can't definitely know that you will achieve something in this game.

Beating Williams in 2005 could be the most important thing long-term, as they'd probably keep Jenson and continue to move forward. Sato's place isn't guaranteed if he struggles - Honda dropped Shinji Nakano from F1, Tohru Ukawa lost his regular MotoGP ride, and both Nakano and Roger Yasukawa (there's a name I doubt has been mentioend in the F1 forum before) from their various Indy racing efforts, so they're not averse to replacing their own sons if they're seen as under-performing.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:09 (Ref:1179037)   #10
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato had to meet targets this year in order for his contract to be re-newed. Although it would of been a bit harsh to drop him considering he's been more reliable than his Honda engine.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 17:14 (Ref:1179308)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems Jense is able to do something that none of the other available drivers can do. Honda has put so much time, effort and faith in him. He instead has said he wants to leave. We know that we dont know the whole story but if the media has any clue at all I just dont think Jense is worth it. Jenson is smooth, fast, a great spolksperson. He is definately an F1 posterboy. Kimmi is probably the opposite, I think I would much rather have him. We have to consider too that if Jense does not live up to the hype next year and his teammate beats him then his stock will decrease significantly. IMO is the car that makes the man. JB is definately better than Sato for now but that does not mean much. Sato does not have his experience.

Three years? In three years I hope Honda will have the constructors title in hand. I would much rather see Sato win the WDC. The world does not revolve around this man. If we were speaking of MS then I would definately be in the hype too but JB has not even won a race as of yet. Was the car capable? Maybe, maybe not but the facts are still such.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 18:57 (Ref:1179386)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm... 3 yrs seems reasonable...considering the improvement they made this year...
but these are the types of comments that can either be a master stroke or can kick you in the face one day.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 20:02 (Ref:1179444)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilap
We have to consider too that if Jense does not live up to the hype next year and his teammate beats him then his stock will decrease significantly.
Er, exactly what "hype" is this? There were only results last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilap
Three years? In three years I hope Honda will have the constructors title in hand. I would much rather see Sato win the WDC. The world does not revolve around this man. If we were speaking of MS then I would definately be in the hype too but JB has not even won a race as of yet. Was the car capable? Maybe, maybe not but the facts are still such.
Hmm, now I see. The "Sato is better than everyone else" theory. Well, he certainly improved last year but he still couldn't play on equal terms with his team mate. But he is getting there.

We can't predict what will happen but the odds at the moment favour JB. And the fact that he wants to leave doesn't seem to have had any effect on his commitment either. He's also on record as saying that it may have been a mistake.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 20:03 (Ref:1179446)   #14
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
honda do seem to be comitted to f1 at the moment(but that can change in a moment, especially with a manufacturer), so i think if anyone is going to challenge ferrari it's them (or mclaren). it just depends if sato starts to match button next season, i think hondas focus may go all on he's car in that scenario.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1179456)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'd agree with you if Honda weren't success focussed. That's why they pull out when the going get's relatively tough.

So Sato's performance per se won't be an issue. The overall success will be. And if they fail to achieve after two years it'll be saionara. Just like the Macaroon V12 days.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 21:01 (Ref:1179502)   #16
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Er, exactly what "hype" is this? There were only results last year.

Hmm, now I see. The "Sato is better than everyone else" theory. Well, he certainly improved last year but he still couldn't play on equal terms with his team mate. But he is getting there.

We can't predict what will happen but the odds at the moment favour JB. And the fact that he wants to leave doesn't seem to have had any effect on his commitment either. He's also on record as saying that it may have been a mistake.
You may or may not know that I dont care too much about who drives the Honda. I am not a Sato fan or JB for that matter. Its just I dont feel a team should beg a driver for what should be considered a privilage. Jens did produce. IMO he was the driver of the year but the car was also the car of the year (as far as improvement). BAR Honda was the most innovative team last year and it seems the FIA are more against them than for them. Honda's gear box has been banned even before its developed!!

My point about the hype is that he did his job. He did not work any miracles. Sato did a sub par job IMO but did improve until Brazil where he seemed lost. I would rather see Sato win just for the fact that he is the underdog and that he is not making the teams accomplishments seem like they are all his.

Jense, BAR, Honda and all other parties involved should just get on with the job at hand. If the man wants to go then lend him a boot for assistance. That simple. In the right car most of the drivers in F1 can win the title.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 22:00 (Ref:1179564)   #17
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well I think This shows that honda want jenson and are trying to woaw him over .... and i think its working as jenson has said that honda's comitment to BAR is great just what the team needs ..... so 3 years not a bad estimate imho.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 00:23 (Ref:1179644)   #18
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
I think they want Jenson to develop the car so it can win a WDC, and then they will shaft him and make Sato number 1.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 02:37 (Ref:1179695)   #19
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Honda are determined, and when they are determined they usually succeed. They proved that to me by letting DR go (in a bid to keep Button) and almost immediately announced plans for a new wind tunnel. I said earlier Honda are due for a letdown, and they'll be hard pressed to repeat 2004's performance. Now, I'm not so sure. No question McLaren and Williams should be better in '05 and I anticipate a dog fight between those three. Money it seems will not be an object in their quest and I can see Honda wooing JB further with the offer of a large contract. I also think that Williams playing driver games once again may not sit well with Button and may contribute to his having second thoughts for '06.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 11:36 (Ref:1179897)   #20
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
I think they want Jenson to develop the car so it can win a WDC, and then they will shaft him and make Sato number 1.
I can't see any basis for this other than sheer racism. Honda have discarded under-performing Japanese drivers in the past, and as their presence in the team grows, tehy'd be even more likely to do this, as winning races is of more importance to them. Neither Williams or McLaren ran a Japanese driver when Honda supported them; Lotus ran Nakajima to save them money. If they favour Sato, how come he had all the mechanical problems last year?