Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer - professional or club racing?
Professional 5 11.11%
Club 28 62.22%
Indifferent between the two 12 26.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Jan 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1210502)   #1
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
'Professional' or club racing?

I guess this follows on from a thread I posted late last year asking whether people liked motor racing for the racing or the cars. By and large, it was the racing that attracted people.

Now, following on from a thread in National and International Single Seaters: does it matter whether you are watching 'professional' or 'club' racing. For the purposes of this thread, professional racing will be British F3, British GT and the TOCA package and above (I'm making this UK-centric because that is what I know best). Everything else is 'club' racing.

Look at this from the spectating (not competing!) point of view.

Vote away.

Last edited by Ian Sowman; 26 Jan 2005 at 17:26.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 17:38 (Ref:1210512)   #2
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am happy at anything to be honest. For example this year, I will be at Le Mans, and then the weekend after I'll be at Mallory Park for club racing, and I look forward to them with equal enthusiasm. For sure, when I'm at a big well known event like Le Mans, or TOCA or whatever, I sometimes think "next weeks clubbie at Snet is going to be a major let down compared to this", but invariably it isn't.

I love the atmospher and excitement of a big event, and the impressive machinery, but a club event is much more relaxed in a way, you can watch from anywhere, everyone is usually friendly and happy to chat, and you aren't getting pushed around in a big crowd. So they both have there good points, and I look forward to visiting a wide variety of events in 2005.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1210596)   #3
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
which is more entertaining? club...
Old 26 Jan 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1210619)   #4
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Generally it is, yeah.

But the big events do have a special atmosphere.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1210624)   #5
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I work in motorsport and see here in Belgium and Germany almost only professional racing (Beru Top 10, Belcar,..). Which is nice and quiet awsome sometimes, but I'm always looking forward to my next trip to the UK clubbies. Where racing is still real racing and drivers go for it. Professional or club? The latter one please.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 20:09 (Ref:1210635)   #6
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
ScottDay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For enteertainment its got to be club racing,
Old 26 Jan 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1210692)   #7
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most definitely club racing. The drivers are not prima donnas, don't have huge bank balances and generally race the cars like they stole them! Isn't that the way it should be?
Old 30 Jan 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1213311)   #8
beefy
Racer

United Kingdom
Cornwall
beefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely club. There tends to be less ego and more action. I find that the drivers are more approachable in the paddock and more willing to discuss their cars/races with spectators.
Old 30 Jan 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1213318)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Most definitely club racing. The drivers are not prima donnas, don't have huge bank balances and generally race the cars like they stole them! Isn't that the way it should be?

Well put Sheila!
Old 30 Jan 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1213335)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The drivers are not prima donnas, don't have huge bank balances and generally race the cars like they stole them! Isn't that the way it should be?
in club racing (like all racing) the biggest cheque book usual wins (or at least it helps a lot!). Others on budgets race with their cars well being at the forefront of their minds (unlike pros who race other people's cars). As for the people and their attitudes, it matches the range in the rest of society! Snobbery about the chosen field exists in both. In many of these respects there is little in it. IMHO.

Anyway, back to the topic. I enjoy watching club racing, there is normally more action - but this comes from there being more mistakes and less consistency. Professional racing demonstrates the best of various aspects, but consistency is more likely.

It is odd, generally, the lowest amateur level of most sports would never get considered in this light. The other sports don't let the amateurs play at the same venues.

Anyway the question? Love 'em both.

Last edited by Adam43; 30 Jan 2005 at 20:41.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1217232)   #11
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Club for sure, but I think the difference between club racing and Professional Racing shouldn't be that great
Old 4 Feb 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1217834)   #12
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted indifference. I like it all.
If you had asked about the drivers rather than the racing well ............
Old 1 Mar 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1239210)   #13
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has to be club, but there souldnt be a massive diffrence!! pro should be more of a relaxed atmos then maybe rated equally.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1239220)   #14
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Club any day. It is the only racing there is. Everything above, or perceived to be above, is only business.
Old 2 Mar 2005, 13:20 (Ref:1240033)   #15
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted indifference. Leaving aside the attitudes of drivers etc good racing is good racing regardless of who's doing it. Most series go through ups and downs in terms of grid-size, competition and spectacle over the years.
Old 2 Mar 2005, 18:41 (Ref:1240303)   #16
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really dont' mind. I think that the proffesional noses just ahead as the the grids are a bit bigger and the whole day is a bit smoother. I still love club racing though.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 23:37 (Ref:1241783)   #17
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The drivers are not prima donnas, don't have huge bank balances and generally race the cars like they stole them! .......
Most of us did Sheila!

I much prefer the accessibilty at Club meetings, but we do need to get back to full grids, by any means, for it to regain it's past glory.