Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

View Poll Results: Which do you visit...
BTCC only 3 7.89%
BTCC and Club Events 23 60.53%
Club Events only 12 31.58%
None 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5 Dec 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1477676)   #1
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC vs other motorsports

Hi
Further to a discussion raging on here :http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77134
I'd like to find out how many people spectate or visit both BTCC and club events.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1477686)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll watch anything with 4 wheels race, I do go to most of the BTCC of the rounds, missed 5 in the last 3 seasons, but I'm also happy to go to clubby meetings aswell.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 20:45 (Ref:1477696)   #3
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Could someone please move this?

Thinking about it, it may be better if this thread was in the Trackside forum... could someone move it please?
Old 5 Dec 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1477698)   #4
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Happy to oblige!
Old 5 Dec 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1477715)   #5
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Thank you!
Old 5 Dec 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1477744)   #6
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last time I attended a BTCC race was when the BTCC was a support act for CART at Brands in 2003. To me TOCA has got big for its boots and lacks the driver disipline of other championships and packages. This starts at the top and works its way down
Old 5 Dec 2005, 22:03 (Ref:1477771)   #7
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The races I visit is based on the quality and quantity of the field. BTCC has been running close to 'I can't really be bothered to see 10 cars race'. Luckily is a closely fought race so I tend to visit Brands & Thruxton.

F3, Formula Palmer, Formula Ford, Formula Renault I have no interest at all, I don't know why.

Any sport visiting the UK like A1GP, FIA GT or DTM I would be more than happy to visit.

Alex
Old 5 Dec 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1477832)   #8
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I do visit BTCC events occasionally, but for me you can't beat a good club event. I was at the first Brands Hatch race earlier this year, but I didn't enjoy it as much as most other events over the season. On a personal perspective, there's too much politics, too much waiting around for events, - and when you can get a good proper day full of non-stop racing elsewhere I'd rather go there as I also prefer the atmospher there.
That said, if my nearest circuit has a TOCA event on, I will go to that over staying it home and needing to do work!
Old 5 Dec 2005, 23:05 (Ref:1477836)   #9
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had to vote for both but only in the interests of truthfulness.
I only attend BTCC on the following conditions:

I was going anyway and they happen to be there aswell (Champ Cars @ Brands)
I LOVE the venue: (Oulton Park)

or both..... Mondello Park

otherwise I wouldn't cross the road to watch them, let alone spend time and money to do so.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 03:08 (Ref:1477946)   #10
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It in its hay day BTTC was great, sadly lack of cars makes it less appealing now.

Much prefer club events everyone more friendly and on the whole bigger grids.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1478041)   #11
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This year I attended only one BTCC meeting, compared to 4-5 per year in the past mainly because both the BTCC and most of the support series have become dull. Very small grids in the BTCC, SEAT, Porsche and Clio races meant I didn't even bother to watch/record most of the BTCC events on MotorsTV.

Club racing is far more likely to be entertaining plus it has the bonus of friendly crowds, unlimited access to the pits and little or no traffic issues
Old 6 Dec 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1478045)   #12
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
btcc and club racing for me, basically any tin-tops,

i've been at most btcc races in the last few years and know its good quality racing not size of grids that matter
Old 6 Dec 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1478163)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
If the BTCC still ran super tourers and still had big grids I'd go, as it is I can't really bring myself to go and watch the rather limited numbers of current BTCC entries batter each other into the scenery. I've been to all the SEMSEC and TRC rounds this season as well as Rallycross at Lydden (twice) and the trucks at Brands - the racing has been far cleaner and at least as close as the BTCC.

That said I may have a peek at the BTCC next year (or maybe the WTCC)
Old 6 Dec 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1478200)   #14
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The BTCC is OK, we went to loads of races in 2003 and 2004, but only one this year. That's partly due to me becoming more involved in racing, and doing other stuff, and also becoming more mobile with my own car, rather than relying on my dad. This year I've gone to a lot more club events, which are great fun, but I do also enjoy the "glamour" of a bigger series like the BTCC.

The driving is questionable at times, and I think 25 quid for a glorified banger race is a bit steep... but it's entertaining. It also has the modern cars and personalities that some club series lack. Well, club racing does have it's characters, but they are generally unknown to the pulic in general.

So, I'd go to either, but to be honest I'd rather be at a sportscar race!
Old 6 Dec 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1478214)   #15
stuart05
Racer

England
Southampton
stuart05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got disillusioned when Matt Neal and Anthony Reid (both fine drivers) started being childish at Silverstone last year. I would only go to one or two BTCC races a year anyway as I like to see as much variety as possible, but this year I couldn't be bothered with any. The races I saw on TV were far too physical for my liking - Mondello was full contact! The Group A and Super Tourer days were much better.
Give me a GT race or a good clubbie thrash any day!
MG Metro #35 - Proud Class A Series Winner CSCC Tin Tops 2006
Old 6 Dec 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1478372)   #16
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of the motor racing I have attended has been Club events, mainly because without a car it is easier for me to get to Castle Combe, Pembrey and Thruxton, also I thoroughly enjoy Club racing, so I don't feel like I'm missing out. Having said that I will get to some BTCC meetings sooner or later.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 19:07 (Ref:1478433)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's always been lots of contact in touring cars..., some of it pretty heavy duty too... remember Cleland and Soper, the two Toyota Carinas at Brands ? You have it in Oz and the DTM... everywhere. I don't think the BTCC is any worse.

What has brought it down from the heydays of the late 1980s or mid-1990s is the lack of car quantity and variety. Seeing a grid full of works and semi-works super tourers was just awesome and a gaggle of Cossies being chased up Clay Hill by M3s was even better. The BTCC is a shell of itself, and the sooner we move to S2000 rules stability, the better.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1479686)   #18
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
admit fan of BTCC but also the support series like the clios and seats
Old 8 Dec 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1479692)   #19
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do both...but don't tend to follow the BTCC round. I will marshal them when they come to me, but I won't go to them.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1479781)   #20
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I go to 2 Btcc rounds a year (One here in ireland and I to fly to one). But I also go to loads of club meeting a year. The is more glitz and glamor to the BTCC and I would never knock it (I think that it's a good series for attracting people to motorsport) I love it in fact.
But I could not go through a year with out a good old cold wet and windy club meeting watching people fight fair and hard in cars they are probably spending all the money and time they have on.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1479887)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We need an "other" in there. I'd rather go to a historic meeting or a CTCRC meeting then a BTCC event. Mainly because the BTCC has been downgraded since 1988.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1479958)   #22
daz90
Racer

England
England
daz90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would certainly go and watch some club racing, but in all truthfulness i havn't seen any motorsport live trackside since i last went to the BTCC in 2002, the Donington Park finale.

I have lost faith and interest in the BTCC since it took on these new rules in 2001, but if the BTCC was to take on the WTCC style of proper 4 door salloons with 2.0ltr engines and a few top drivers then i would certainly take another look at the championship. Untill that happens, (or a return to the old super tourers) i wont be going to any live races, i didnt even bother watching any last season on motors TV. I prefer the Aussie V8's or the WTCC nowdays, not likely i will visit any of those races live though

I also have never had any interest in F3, Formula Audi/ Renault/ Ford or any single seater racing (apart from F1). Hill climbing or some classic rallys would be good though.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1479981)   #23
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
We need an "other" in there. I'd rather go to a historic meeting or a CTCRC meeting then a BTCC event. Mainly because the BTCC has been downgraded since 1988.
ahh, I knew I was missing something. Hence the none which looks ever so slightly out of place there!
Old 8 Dec 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1480009)   #24
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hill
I had to vote for both but only in the interests of truthfulness.
I only attend BTCC on the following conditions:

I was going anyway and they happen to be there aswell (Champ Cars @ Brands)
I LOVE the venue: (Oulton Park)
Watched BTCC at Brands only because a) had season ticket so did not want to miss out with value for money and B) bacause Cart was there that day

Hold Oulton Season ticket since MSV changed the rules and upped the price and moved house to North west from London so again go to Oulton to see BTCC but enjoy the supports as much and have seen better racing in the club level events
Old 8 Dec 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1480016)   #25
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Peter, wouldn't you're historic/CTCRC preference be cover by the Club Racing option?

I believe the point the Stig was trying to prove was that your average BTCC fan doesn't know/care about any other form of UK motorsport. Judging by the votes so far there's not much evidence of that.

FWIW I'm very much in the 'both' camp. I haven't been to as many BTCC meeting this year as previous year but I'm still a fan, but I equally enjoy a good clubie meet.