Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Apr 2024, 12:48 (Ref:4204057)   #426
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Gerrard . We are well on our way home so gutted to hear my favourite 356 team DNF in race two. Fantastic result for fellow tenther and all round top bloke Mr Birch .
Old 7 Apr 2024, 14:04 (Ref:4204065)   #427
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ultimately we had a good race at PA Mugello. A major vibration during qualifying saw us not record a timed lap. A trip to the stewards to get permission to start the race was successful. The vibration problem turn d out to be the tailshaft. This was fixed for the race. The steering was very tight and notchy. Thanks to delta and 356 this issue was also sorted. We started 59th I think and hauled ourselves up to P.35 by race end even with a second pit stop for a driver change. Most teams only had one pit stop. delta and I were happy with the result.
Old 7 Apr 2024, 14:55 (Ref:4204074)   #428
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
Ultimately we had a good race at PA Mugello. A major vibration during qualifying saw us not record a timed lap. A trip to the stewards to get permission to start the race was successful. The vibration problem turn d out to be the tailshaft. This was fixed for the race. The steering was very tight and notchy. Thanks to delta and 356 this issue was also sorted. We started 59th I think and hauled ourselves up to P.35 by race end even with a second pit stop for a driver change. Most teams only had one pit stop. delta and I were happy with the result.
I was following the latter stages on live timing and saw you had a (second) stop with about 20 minutes to go under the Safety Car. Others only had one stop recorded. I was sitting fingers crossed it wasnt a mechanical issue so late in the race, but had noticed you had a lap or so over the next car behind and happy to see the car show back on track soon after. I assumed the stop was for a precautionary splash of fuel or similar under the SC, but now I know the facts. Thanks.
Speaking to you at PI last month I think I remember you saying you were hoping to take the Elite to Cadwell if you could fit it in with everyone's schedule.... is that still on the cards? Otherwise where to next?
Very pleased you had a good weekend, only minor / fixable issues all pre race and it ended with a great result.
Old 7 Apr 2024, 19:05 (Ref:4204099)   #429
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Thanks Gerrard . We are well on our way home so gutted to hear my favourite 356 team DNF in race two. Fantastic result for fellow tenther and all round top bloke Mr Birch .
Good weekend for you guys.I do admire your stamina, that's no short sprint from Reading to Mugello.
Old 7 Apr 2024, 21:21 (Ref:4204111)   #430
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Is M Birch the young lad from Luton who raced a Vauxhall Astra, in the Esso Saloon Car Championship in the nineties?
Old 8 Apr 2024, 04:22 (Ref:4204144)   #431
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Good weekend for you guys.I do admire your stamina, that's no short sprint from Reading to Mugello.
Many thsnks for all the support . We held up at Dijon last night . Now setting off and heading home . ?
Old 8 Apr 2024, 07:45 (Ref:4204161)   #432
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
So, does your satnav have a setting for avoiding routes with 20mph limits?
I'll be honest it wasn't a problem. Like most things in life there was a lot of noise from "antis" when introduced but in reality it's settled down and once you get used to travelling slowly it adds nothing to journey time. You still have to swerve around parked cars which takes time and TBH at 20mph there's more time to take gaps so the traffic flows better!

Also the roads in that area are in much, much better condition than round here. Comparing the A5 to our local A4 is very depressing. Even the goat track was smooth, unlike Bromham!

Weather was shall we say "challenging". Storm Kathleen saw to that with showers and drying winds alternating rapidly. I've never done so many set up changes in a weekend! Ride height up, ride height down, castor on, castor off, sprocket changes - wow it was all there! Thankfully with the addition of a Sprinter or two on the straps we kept the awning in 50mph winds.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 8 Apr 2024, 08:05 (Ref:4204166)   #433
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Many thsnks for all the support . We held up at Dijon last night . Now setting off and heading home . ?
Am guessing you went through Mont Blanc tunnel .
Have done those routes many many times .
Reims , Dijon etc , and if going further south down past Lyon, Montpellier .But have always regretted not going over the MILLAU bridge / viaduct . Only been open about 20 years and was, [ might still be ] the highest bridge in the world at about 340 Meters from ground to top .Must be an incredible sight .
Old 8 Apr 2024, 08:30 (Ref:4204175)   #434
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Hope team 356 SC is going well.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 11:20 (Ref:4204198)   #435
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A challenging weekend for us at Mugello! Tow vehicle going into limp home mode on the way was just the start of it!

Dad has recently had his hand operated on, and although he thought it would be ok, it was hindering him, so the averaged quali time put us further back than we had hoped and also meant that he would not share the driving in the races.

Race 1 started p30, finished p13 with a good tussle with a healey 3000 and one of the Ferrari 250 gt’s. I was quicker through the twiddly bits, so got ahead of them, they then thundered past me on the straights…frustrating and enjoyable in equal measures.

Race 2 we lost drive after 2 laps (diff broke) and of course this happened under acceleration so I buzzed the engine as well….oh and then to cap it all they bent the car putting it onto the flat bed recovery vehicle!

Tow vehicle is still in limp home mode (blocked diesel particulate filter) and is currently somewhere in northern Italy trying to get home.

Fab results for Michael Birch sometimes of this parish winning the 60s race in his Lotus against the brute force of the Cobras and E types, and the Drbob Marcos finishing strongly.

Company was excellent though, it is always a great laugh meeting up with the Delta team!

Lots to do before Spa then……

Last edited by 356sc; 8 Apr 2024 at 11:28.
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 8 Apr 2024, 11:38 (Ref:4204202)   #436
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Yes Mont Blanc but have used Freduce as well . It’s ok with van and trailer but last time I turned up with the Delta truck I got turned away . That was an extra days driving along the coast . Must of been awful in that fire . 1999. They seem to control the amount of vehicles going through as well now . Still lovely part of the world .
Old 8 Apr 2024, 12:11 (Ref:4204206)   #437
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes Mont Blanc but have used Freduce as well . It’s ok with van and trailer but last time I turned up with the Delta truck I got turned away . That was an extra days driving along the coast . Must of been awful in that fire . 1999. They seem to control the amount of vehicles going through as well now . Still lovely part of the world .
I used FREJUS a few times when Mont Blanc was closed after the fire .
They put new heat sensing booths for the trucks in Mont Blanc when it reopened .
First time in a truck coming back I missed the Italian one , which was about 10 miles before you got to the tunnel , and quite a Boll***ing because I had not done it .
But the French side booth is just before the tunnel .And the drive up the mountain is wonderful with all of the Glaciers and snow beside the road .
So Yes , a lovely part of the world .
Old 8 Apr 2024, 13:22 (Ref:4204222)   #438
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Knew I had the spelling wrong ?
Old 8 Apr 2024, 16:37 (Ref:4204237)   #439
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Ooops, Will, not exactly the kind of start of the season you can expect and certainly not when so far away from home. Hope the 356 is not too much bent, I know this feeling and there's few to do against the recovery team. Only one month to go to Spa, you gonna be busy. All my best and well done against the big machines!
Old 8 Apr 2024, 21:52 (Ref:4204261)   #440
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
What do you think about this then E.B ?
Push to ban EVERY Australian from buying petrol-powered cars in just 12 years !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Apr 2024, 22:09 (Ref:4204263)   #441
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Push to ban EVERY Australian from buying petrol-powered cars in just 12 years !!!
I thought we had been doing the same.

It'll be the Chinese influence - so many EV to sell.

Did I also see an article about banning barbies? Or was it just banning meat so that people would give up on barbies?
Old 9 Apr 2024, 00:22 (Ref:4204270)   #442
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Thats not so much the Governmentt, but the "Climate Change" group.... they want not only a switch from petrol to electric cars but a move away from cars entirely, setting a target of increasing walking, cycling and public transport by five per cent each year.

They also want us to convert to electric trucks and use railways to distribute half of the freight that is currently distributed by road. (They seemed to have missed the fact that whereby all our commuter trains are electric 90% of our freight trains are run on diesel.

Oh and they all want the number of government cars to be cut by I think half and want the pollies to travel by public transport and do ride shares.

The government are more looking at a new fuel-efficiency standard that would curb the allowable CO2 emissions for new vehicles.

Reality is it wont happen in the sort of deadlines they are talking.
Old 9 Apr 2024, 06:35 (Ref:4204288)   #443
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is it true, that there are so many cars in Australia, that people have stopped pointing at them?
Old 9 Apr 2024, 07:43 (Ref:4204292)   #444
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Is it true, that there are so many cars in Australia, that people have stopped pointing at them?
I think that they are probably pointing & laughing at the eco-loonies now!
Old 9 Apr 2024, 09:01 (Ref:4204297)   #445
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I think that they are probably pointing & laughing at the eco-loonies now!
I don,t think they will be laughing much , the GREEN fraud is costing every family there over 2000 dollars a year as it is . https://joannenova.com.au/2024/04/a-...ike-it-or-not/
And that will only go up by larger amounts the more changes the green loons
bring in .
Electric transport will never work until we all get portable Fusion reactors , but the whole idea is all about destroying Western /Capitalist economies .https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybe...tory-lesson-2/
Old 9 Apr 2024, 09:41 (Ref:4204299)   #446
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well according to reports in the UK papers (Telegraph most recently) EV sales are tailing off. Also Toyota and (I think BMW) have pared back their EV production/plans. Jaguar is still going gung ho and stopping ICE production. It will be a complete mess and in our case UK industry, already on its knees, will die.

Add to that the drive to shut down farming and if you are not worried then you are probably one sandwich short of a picnic. IMO we should learn to live with the weather and build more reservoirs and flood defences. Windmills, solar panels and other snake oil remedies don't work.
Old 9 Apr 2024, 10:15 (Ref:4204307)   #447
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Ford also, at least in the US, look to be going down the same route as Toyota, putting all their effort into hybrids.
Old 9 Apr 2024, 10:32 (Ref:4204308)   #448
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
I don,t think they will be laughing much , the GREEN fraud is costing every family there over 2000 dollars a year as it is . https://joannenova.com.au/2024/04/a-...ike-it-or-not/
And that will only go up by larger amounts the more changes the green loons
bring in .
Electric transport will never work until we all get portable Fusion reactors , but the whole idea is all about destroying Western /Capitalist economies .https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybe...tory-lesson-2/
Spot on Tel
Old 9 Apr 2024, 10:36 (Ref:4204310)   #449
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Well according to reports in the UK papers (Telegraph most recently) EV sales are tailing off. Also Toyota and (I think BMW) have pared back their EV production/plans. Jaguar is still going gung ho and stopping ICE production. It will be a complete mess and in our case UK industry, already on its knees, will die.

Add to that the drive to shut down farming and if you are not worried then you are probably one sandwich short of a picnic. IMO we should learn to live with the weather and build more reservoirs and flood defences. Windmills, solar panels and other snake oil remedies don't work.

Well, this won't please you too much, then! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68768598
Old 9 Apr 2024, 10:39 (Ref:4204311)   #450
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I read that a while ago. Laughable isn't it?