Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 30 Oct 2000, 01:02 (Ref:45798)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you race in a sedan-clubman-car type series, what sort of side intrusion systems do you have/allowed? Must you have the original door trim? What sort of roll cage is there? Can you fill the door with foam? Or do you have some sort of flashy carbon fibre set up?
Old 30 Oct 2000, 15:00 (Ref:45889)   #2
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In our class, Improved production you must run your original door trims but as for side intrusion. We have a roll cage which was designed and built not long after the Greg Hansford fatality at Phillip Island. So my team's side intrusion bars are a lot higher than most other cars. We also have a protective box sort of device which will stop the cage splitting if a direct hit on the drivers side should tear the cage. It makes it harder to get in and out for the older and larger driver like my dad. That is why we also have a removable hub on the steering wheel so he can get in and out more easily. I on the other hand have no problems. hehehe. But after an accident earlier this year again at the island when a mate of mine's Mazda RX7 came over Lukey Heights at full noise to find a sideways RX3, we all realised why side intrusion bars are such a good thing. It hit on the passenger side of the car and moved the side of the car right up to the driver. Luckily it stopped short of him, but imagine if it had have been drivers side. Both Car's were write-offs but it just shows that a little bit of protection buys peace of mind. I can tell you I am glad to have our cage.