Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Sep 2001, 18:30 (Ref:143248)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Btcc 2002

Just found this on Autosport.com :-

Calendar cut for 2002

BTCC drops double rounds and night races for next year

British Touring Car Championship organisers have unveiled a trimmed down calendar for the series in 2002. The schedule has been reduced from 13 double-header weekends to just 10, while the popular but costly night races have been abandoned.

In previous years circuits such as Silverstone and Donington Park have hosted two rounds of the BTCC. However, next year Brands Hatch will be the only circuit to hold more than one event, with the opening double-header of the season on the 2.65-mile Grand Prix layout and the penultimate race meeting on the 1.2-mile Indy loop.

The other major change for 2002 is the introduction of three 'super weekend' meetings, which will combine the BTCC with the British Formula 3 and British GT championships at the start, middle and end of the year. Britain's premier tin top series will also return to the Mondello Park circuit in Ireland next year after a successful debut visit this season.

Series director Richard West said: “The move to a 10-meeting, 20-round calendar with no night races should be viewed as a consolidation of the comments we have received to date and the realisation of the commercial challenges that we all face. I am confident that this represents a considerable step forward.”

Series organiser British Motorsport Promoters has also confirmed its deal with the Motor Sports Association, UK motorsport’s governing body, to promote the BTCC for the next five years, with an option for a five year extension. BMP bought the previous owner of the BTCC, TOCA, at the start of 2000 in a bid to ensure the stability of the series before they took control at the start of next year.

BMP bosses have also met with teams’ representatives to discuss ways of securing the championship’s future success. BMP chairman Robert Fearnall said: “Significant steps have been made for next year, taking account of views canvassed during this season, and procedures are being put into place to achieve our common objective – a competitive and well-run BTCC full of professional teams putting on superb racing for network television and large crowds.”

2002 BTCC Calendar
March 31/April 1 (BH) Brands Hatch GP (inc. F3/GTs)
April 20/21 Oulton Park
May 5/6 (BH) Thruxton
June 1/2 Silverstone (inc. F3/GTs)
June 22/23 Mondello Park
July 13/14 Croft
July 27/28 Snetterton
August 10/11 Knockhill
August 25/26 (BH) Brands Hatch Indy
September 21/22 Donington Park (inc. F3/GTs)

Well what can I say no night race and NO Rockingham
Old 7 Sep 2001, 21:01 (Ref:143344)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
No night race ? Are they insane ? They were the highlight of the season and everyone I spoke to absolutely loved them PLEASE rethink that one Mr West - you're making a big mistake.

The super racing weekends will be a huge winner, providing the price is right, but I feel they'll not make up for the loss of the two night races.

Returning to the Brands GP circuit is a good move, but the omission of Rockingham is an odd one... far be it from me to suggest that BMP/Octagon are trying their hardest to ensure Rockingham does not get a foot hold in 'their' market...
Old 7 Sep 2001, 21:18 (Ref:143362)   #3
pb btcc
Veteran

pb btcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NO Rockingham
No night race

this has got to be some kind of JOKE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7 Sep 2001, 22:17 (Ref:143403)   #4
silverfox
Rookie

silverfox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As commercial interests are so important now to the running of the series is the logo for 2002 going to be"Closing down sale-everything must go"
Old 7 Sep 2001, 22:34 (Ref:143423)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Hmmm, very strange. I had a good (or maybe not so good) inside tip that the previous draft had Rockingham as definate and still one night race.

If you look at how many Production teams and drivers have struggled with finance this year I can understand why they would want to cut the number of rounds. It's been ages since I've had a weekend off myself so maybe this isn't such a bad idea after all.

Rockingham I'm not that fussed about. The night race will be missed. Not sure I remember what Snetterton looks like in the daylight. One thing I'm not overly keen on is the Donnington and Silverstone F3/GT/TC meetings, which are 3-days on Fri/Sat/Sun not a Bank Holiday weekend as I was expecting.
Old 7 Sep 2001, 23:05 (Ref:143444)   #6
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
No night race ? Are they insane ? They were the highlight of the season and everyone I spoke to absolutely loved them PLEASE rethink that one Mr West - you're making a big mistake.
I can only second that! Snettterton is an excellent place to have the night race and omitting it is a HUGE mistake!
Old 7 Sep 2001, 23:31 (Ref:143466)   #7
fudge
Rookie

fudge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He who pays the piper calls the tune!

Do you think that the powers that be have even thought about the feelings of the fans?
No night races....cut back to 10 meeting, and one of those you need planes or a ferry to get to!
Old 7 Sep 2001, 23:33 (Ref:143470)   #8
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NO NO NO!!!! The night races are the highlight of the season... Added to that there is almost a month between several of the races... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 8 Sep 2001, 00:35 (Ref:143515)   #9
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For a second I thought the British GP clashed with Croft... phew...

Last edited by Minardi fan; 8 Sep 2001 at 00:37.
Old 8 Sep 2001, 01:33 (Ref:143523)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Well i'm very suprised at this move, how can R West say that dropping the night events and reducing races is a "step forward"?
In what context of "forward" is he using, forward - into the frying pan?

I thought the night races were a big success with not only the fans, but also the teams, that was the impression that I had anyhow, or is this not so?

Did the teams like the night rounds, Mr Redshoes?
Old 8 Sep 2001, 04:28 (Ref:143541)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No night racing is certainly a step backwards, i reckon they should have had a night race at brands hatch indy.

10 rounds is ok, maybe 12 would be better, or even better would be 10 rounds PLUS the return of the Tourist Trophey as an end of season enduro on the Silverstone GP circuit, that would be wonderful, maybe double as an ETC championship race.

Not bothered by rockingham, not a fan of the rovals. The Super Racing Weekends are a great idea.
Old 8 Sep 2001, 06:43 (Ref:143549)   #12
BTC-P fan
Rookie

BTC-P fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
One thing I'm not overly keen on is the Donnington and Silverstone F3/GT/TC meetings, which are 3-days on Fri/Sat/Sun not a Bank Holiday weekend as I was expecting.
I think that the weekend of the Silverstone round is a Bank Holiday weekend as both the 3rd and 4th are Bank Holidays to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of HM The Queen.

I do agree with you post Red, it is about reducing costs for the teams. Also the time that they have to prepare the cars is limited as the 2001 calender was so congested. Teams were pushed to repair cars for the next meeting, let alone prepare and develop them. I've seen teams working on cars as soon as they arrive at the circuit because they have not had enough time between rounds.
Old 8 Sep 2001, 08:19 (Ref:143572)   #13
Lorna
Veteran

I am not really bothered either way on the amount of rounds they have. It does mean a bit more spare time in the summer to do other things which is nice.

Anyway, from my past experience of updating my website, watch this space for loads of changes before about February/March next year!
Old 8 Sep 2001, 08:26 (Ref:143575)   #14
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by BTC-P fan
I think that the weekend of the Silverstone round is a Bank Holiday weekend as both the 3rd and 4th are Bank Holidays to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of HM The Queen.
Thank you ma'm. Complete forgot about that. Realy must buy a 2002 diary now.
Old 8 Sep 2001, 15:37 (Ref:143711)   #15
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish the Snett night race had been kept! Not bothered about Rockingham, but nevermind anyway. We'll have to see how it pans out.
Old 8 Sep 2001, 19:57 (Ref:143764)   #16
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the calendar only provisional - I think that the pressure of the fans could bring back the night-race (some banners here then guy!!!). Anyone know which track configurations they are using at Donington or Silverstone?
Old 10 Sep 2001, 19:55 (Ref:144584)   #17
BAR Babe
Racer

BAR Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PLEASE.... you have to be joking!
no night race at Snetterton is what i would consider a HUGE loss.
It always used to be my favourite race really. It is my local so i am very bias but Snetterton was made to be a night race. I can't believe they would think that they would consider cutting the night races. they were a big crowd puller from what i had gathered so it really doesn't make sense.

OH I DON'T KNOW !!
Old 11 Sep 2001, 12:51 (Ref:144910)   #18
Sandra R.
Rookie

Sandra R. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote "For a second I thought the British GP clashed with Croft... phew..."

It does!

Checked with Silverstone - they say BGP is still the weekend of the 13th/14th July. Richard West has said on another forum that the dates don't now clash. That's not what the booking office says - unless Richard has it from a higher authority - in which case - tell the booking office!!!!
Old 11 Sep 2001, 20:03 (Ref:145049)   #19
Lorna
Veteran

After a conversation on the weekend, the expense of running a night race (think of all those flood lights, etc), I think it has been a decision to try and keep the costs down in order to ensure the BTCC survives and we see enough cars on the grid. In light or this, if it means sacrificing the night race in order to ensure the continuation of the touring cars then it's worth it. Once the BTCC has built up over the next year or two, and everything is "a ok" again then maybe they can bring back the night race.
Old 12 Sep 2001, 17:16 (Ref:145310)   #20
Pip
Racer

Pip should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I can't believe they have done away with the night race at Snetterton... it's the best round of the season!!! Am sure they get a bigger crowd on the Saturday night, it certainly looks it
Old 20 Sep 2001, 20:22 (Ref:148843)   #21
BIG OLLIE
Rookie

BIG OLLIE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

How can they not have a night race, 90% of the Motor Racing fans of 2001 Went to the two night races.
What a laugh they were.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 09:38 (Ref:149074)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The three Super Weekends are going to be a nightmare for officials. It's hard enough getting volunteers to cover two day BTCC meetings at the moment, without expecting people to give up all three days. IMO when they make these decisions they do not take the views of both drivers and officials into account.

Many marshals are already refusing to cover BTCC weekends due to the long periods of 'hanging around doing nothing' and 30 minute practice sessions when the cars have been at the circuit half the week testing. I have a sneaky suspicion that the MSA may stop some days due to lack of marshal cover on the circuit. It would be totally wrong to run practice sessions where there are only 2 marshals per post as has sometimes happened. Drivers and their families have the right to adequate protection and emergency cover.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 15:31 (Ref:149183)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think peopel are being realistic regarding the night races. They were among the most expensive events, and in my mind the series has such a lack of entries especially int he Touring Class (rarely even 10 entrants all year until the MG entry), and the series needs to atract new manufacturers and new sponsors. Teams will want their advertisign to be more visible. I don't think RIchard West is against night races per se, and I'm sure they'll return, which to me is probably a wise choice.