Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Mar 2008, 01:52 (Ref:2145331)   #226
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
The only C6.R that I am not pretty sure of is the PSI chassis C6R-002. Have not seen anything announced for them yet and both Peter and Hines (07 drivers) are at Gigawave this year so? But I would be surprised if they got rid of the car and it was not on the net somewhere, already.

L.P.

Speaking of PSI Experience, has anyone heard if their C5R-006 chassis is for sale? A race team has contacted me and said they want to buy 2 C5-Rs. They are in touch with SRT about C5R-005 but want a second one. As far as I know, GM still owns C5R-002, the last "narrow-body" car built and C5R-003, by far the most successful C5R, but I doubt either of those are for sale. That only leaves the PSI car as unaccounted for in 2008. Lane, anyone?

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 6 Mar 2008, 06:14 (Ref:2145393)   #227
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Speaking of PSI Experience, has anyone heard if their C5R-006 chassis is for sale? A race team has contacted me and said they want to buy 2 C5-Rs. They are in touch with SRT about C5R-005 but want a second one. As far as I know, GM still owns C5R-002, the last "narrow-body" car built and C5R-003, by far the most successful C5R, but I doubt either of those are for sale. That only leaves the PSI car as unaccounted for in 2008. Lane, anyone?
Has the PK C5-R (chassis C5R-011) been sold already?
Old 6 Mar 2008, 13:11 (Ref:2145611)   #228
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a few pics of the LG Riley C6-GT2

Old 6 Mar 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2145725)   #229
Sportscarguy08
Racer

Sportscarguy08 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
Hey Sportscarguy08,

I looked up that website and the links to the 2007 review films. Nice stuff. Thanks for the heads up! Not too much talking and lots of footage of tight racing. Very enjoyable. Lots of other video on the site as well!!

DK
No Problem. The content on that site is pretty solid. The 2008 site will be a fresh and new start for the new season. It should be out either early April or before the first round of the FIA GT.

I think the 005 chassis and the 006 chassis would be a good combination for any team, preferably the Citation Cup or FFSA since development has stopped for that model.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 16:05 (Ref:2145727)   #230
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
a few pics of the LG Riley C6-GT2
link
Nice cf intake
Old 6 Mar 2008, 17:01 (Ref:2145773)   #231
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has that Riley-Scott GT2 Corvette been on the track yet? It seems to me if it hasn't, they really can't be too serious about being competitive at Sebring as that is a very tough track for even the most tested of cars.

DK
Old 6 Mar 2008, 17:25 (Ref:2145787)   #232
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
Has that Riley-Scott GT2 Corvette been on the track yet? It seems to me if it hasn't, they really can't be too serious about being competitive at Sebring as that is a very tough track for even the most tested of cars.

DK
It will be. The sports car racing history of Riley and LG plus the unlimited technical support from GM Performance Division, and Corvette Racing, should help a bit. wink
Old 6 Mar 2008, 17:34 (Ref:2145793)   #233
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It will be. The sports car racing history of Riley and LG plus the unlimited technical support from GM Performance Division, and Corvette Racing, should help a bit. wink
I certainly wish them well and would love to see them give the Ferraris and Porsches a good run for their money. I just fear that an untested car hasn't got much of a chance as things you just don't think of have a way of breaking down under the pressures of going fast for 12 hours on that bumpy track!

DK
Old 8 Mar 2008, 19:07 (Ref:2147010)   #234
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let's be perfectly honest, other than Le Mans, Corvette may as well sit this year out!

I hope they have some inter team competition, as the lack of comment, reports, and general fan interest in Corvettes '08 program must be a worry for the Corvette management, you have to assume the teams lacks motivation.

GT1 may be the best fit for GM, but with a lack of competition, it's time to move upto P1 with Corvette branded P1, much like in the IMSA GTP days.

Corvette could always sell the program to management as a technical showcase and R&D program.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 19:17 (Ref:2147013)   #235
Atomic UK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wherever I Lay My Hat
Atomic UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ironically though, the European Corvette Race teams, through the ever increasing Championships, seem to be thriving.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2147022)   #236
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Let's be perfectly honest, other than Le Mans, Corvette may as well sit this year out!

I hope they have some inter team competition, as the lack of comment, reports, and general fan interest in Corvettes '08 program must be a worry for the Corvette management, you have to assume the teams lacks motivation.

GT1 may be the best fit for GM, but with a lack of competition, it's time to move upto P1 with Corvette branded P1, much like in the IMSA GTP days.

Corvette could always sell the program to management as a technical showcase and R&D program.
Corvette and Corvette Racing is doing JUST FINE, in more ways then many ppl know.

:-)
Old 8 Mar 2008, 20:01 (Ref:2147027)   #237
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The interest in Corvette is GT2 and P1.

Looking in from the outside it looks like the GT1 program is simply to fullfill marketing commitments and keep the team upto speed.

But, let's be honest, GM and the fans aren't taking any interest in GT1.

GM would be best served supporting and supplying GT2/GT3 cars and pushing themselves in P1.

I'll admit, Corvette suprised me with their dominance in GT, nothing will please me more than to see a US P1 program taking it to the European and Asian teams.

In Europe, rallying aside, the last time a US manufactuer made a mainstream impact was with the GT40 program, it's time for GM to put their resources behind a Le Mans, LMS, ALMS program.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 21:48 (Ref:2147098)   #238
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
The interest in Corvette is GT2 and P1.

Looking in from the outside it looks like the GT1 program is simply to fullfill marketing commitments and keep the team upto speed.

But, let's be honest, GM and the fans aren't taking any interest in GT1.

GM would be best served supporting and supplying GT2/GT3 cars and pushing themselves in P1.

I'll admit, Corvette suprised me with their dominance in GT, nothing will please me more than to see a US P1 program taking it to the European and Asian teams.

In Europe, rallying aside, the last time a US manufactuer made a mainstream impact was with the GT40 program, it's time for GM to put their resources behind a Le Mans, LMS, ALMS program.
It is very clear from the post that the Corvette Racing model is not understood. Corvette races to sell cars and it is very successful in its operation. The shear #'s of fans/owners that show at their drive-ins, corrals etc. along with the rate that the Corvette sells at is proof that the formula works for GM and their fans!

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 8 Mar 2008 at 21:56.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 23:48 (Ref:2147178)   #239
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Right on, HD. I was going to say the same thing myself.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 22:23 (Ref:2147824)   #240
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
It is very clear from the post that the Corvette Racing model is not understood. Corvette races to sell cars and it is very successful in its operation. The shear #'s of fans/owners that show at their drive-ins, corrals etc. along with the rate that the Corvette sells at is proof that the formula works for GM and their fans!

L.P.
It won't work if they only race against themsleves, they need compeition to prove the cars, and right now tha's in P1 and GT2.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 01:46 (Ref:2148819)   #241
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The future of Corvette is truly international. We know that the Corvette GT1 invasion is in full cry in Yurp but check this from a correspondent in Costa Rica:

"The "Campeonato Nacional de Velocidad de Costa Rica" (Speed's National Championship) and the "Campeonato Centroamericano de Velocidad" (Central American Speed Championship) are "raced" here, and are sanctioned by the NACAM. (My note: The cars look a little more Trans-Am or Grand-Am than FIA but NACAM represents the FIA in North America, Central America and Mexico. NACAM is the first zone created by the FIA. It is the largest after Europe. Hmmmm...wonder how ACCUS fits into NACAM?)

Here we have the "best race track in Central America; its name is "LA GUACIMA"; the first race is in April 6, several "Corvettes" ,"Mustangs" and "Camaros" from Panama, Guatemala, El Salvador, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago and USA; will come to race here in the "GT1 class", we also have GT2 and GT3, the last year was only 2 cars for the GT2, and they race in the GT1 class; both are Porsches; one of they are driven by JORGE TREJOS which was the winner in the 1995 of the "IMSA CAMEL GT CHAMPIONSHIP" GT2 class.

Here you can see some pictures of the 2007 season:

Many more here".

I wonder if the GM brass buys lunch for the Corvette Corral at "La Guacima"? More GT1 Corvettes race there than are racing at Sebring.

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 11 Mar 2008, 15:21 (Ref:2149210)   #242
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Those look more like SCCA GT1 than ACO/FIA GT1 to me.

I'd like to know more about that circuit...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 11 Mar 2008, 16:10 (Ref:2149232)   #243
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
It won't work if they only race against themsleves, they need compeition to prove the cars, and right now tha's in P1 and GT2.
It's clear you're still not understanding what the folks at Corvette have said a million times before, but heh, what can ya do? Just keep believing that you know better than they do what their reasoning is.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2149307)   #244
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
It's clear you're still not understanding what the folks at Corvette have said a million times before, but heh, what can ya do? Just keep believing that you know better than they do what their reasoning is.
CMK,

I believe you're right on. When you see the numbers of fans that show up at the Corvette Corrals, far more than for any other make at ALMS events. It is very much worth their while to compete, even if only against themselves. The good will and product recognition are all worth it to them. Don't believe for one minute that GM wouldn't pull the plug if things were different.

DK
Old 11 Mar 2008, 18:46 (Ref:2149342)   #245
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
None of this is saying that they don't want competition, but they will acquire it, so to speak, on their own time and in such a way that they feel their objectives, including on-track success, are being met. Of course none of the PR work will be sacrificed in that plan. But to think they will move just because of the current situation? Well, then the people who said they would be gone or in GT2 this year would be right. Clearly they are not.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2149376)   #246
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I wonder if GM's assesment of the situation changes, if the Aston factory squad leaves GT1 in Le Mans. Right now there is at least at the most important race of the year a credible opposition for the Corvettes. Maybe that changes in 2009.
Will Corvette Racing in that case "pull an Audi" and keep on stomping the privateers into the ground or will they go to where the competition is?
Old 11 Mar 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2149425)   #247
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
I wonder if GM's assesment of the situation changes, if the Aston factory squad leaves GT1 in Le Mans. Right now there is at least at the most important race of the year a credible opposition for the Corvettes. Maybe that changes in 2009.
Will Corvette Racing in that case "pull an Audi" and keep on stomping the privateers into the ground or will they go to where the competition is?
Or maybe, wild guess here, they are using some new technologies and new fuel E85 ( when they get it figured out) E10 for Sebring to develop new road cars with alternative fuels and Maybe, just Maybe a P1 prototype car for 2010. . .. . .

Naw GM & Chevy would not have that long range vision. Would they???
Old 11 Mar 2008, 21:12 (Ref:2149466)   #248
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Or maybe, wild guess here, they are using some new technologies and new fuel E85 ( when they get it figured out) E10 for Sebring to develop new road cars with alternative fuels and Maybe, just Maybe a P1 prototype car for 2010. . .. . .

Naw GM & Chevy would not have that long range vision. Would they???
The way the ethanol lobby is being pounded, now from all sides, I really doubt that they would embrace, such a political hand-grenade, especially with a car that in the pc circles is the anti-christ.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2149930)   #249
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
The way the ethanol lobby is being pounded, now from all sides, I really doubt that they would embrace, such a political hand-grenade, especially with a car that in the pc circles is the anti-christ.
Anti-christ? Cool.

Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

my wifes 2004 vett gets 28-32 mpg. Mine on the other hand, gets 3.5 to 5 mpg. something with my LEAD right foot

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

The ETOH lobby and use as an alternative fuel, I think is a good thing. Working with racing and testing in hard core race engines, helps the manufactures with normal street cars and engines.

Not every part of the glode can run on petrolium, so an ETOH alternative or mix is a good thing.

That is part of the ALMS mission: too help develope and partner with new motorsports technolgies and technolgy transfer.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2149960)   #250
Sportscarguy08
Racer

Sportscarguy08 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic UK
Ironically though, the European Corvette Race teams, through the ever increasing Championships, seem to be thriving.
BIG time. This year looks to be the biggest, best, and most competative season yet. Corvette Motorsports teams over there are increasing by the minute. Callaway recently had a shakedown of their new C6 GT4. Images can be found Here.

Personally, I stopped watching the ALMS GT1 at the end of the 2006 season (too many people arguing and not just racing). The FIA GT series is where its at when talking about Corvette against a berage of various cars and teams.
2008 will be great for all! (in Europe )