Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 24 Jan 2007, 20:06 (Ref:1825038)   #1
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Goodwood Festival of Speed 2007

After years of telling ourselves we must go sometime, I've just booked hotel and tickets for me and three mates to go to the Goodwood Festival of Speed, June 22nd to 24th.

Hoorah!

So... as none of us have been before, what do we need to know?!

Because we're trying to work to a budget (and we want to be mobile and see as much as possible!), we decided to get 2 general admission tickets and 2 grandstand tickets. We often tend to split up on our trips, so this gives us some flexibility and saves a few quid. A brief look at the site led us to pick the Molecomb Grandstand for a decent view of the cars braking for Molecomb bend and then disappearing up the hill towards the wall. Good choice?

Looking at the website, there seems to be so much to try and see! We'll be there two full days, so hopefully we'll have time to sample the best of it.

Not sure when the local hotels get booked up (6 months ago I suspect!)... we're in Southsea, 25 miles away!

So, seeing as I couldn't find another thread, here it is. Let rip with your plans, advice, questions, answers and anything else...
Old 24 Jan 2007, 20:23 (Ref:1825055)   #2
montoya
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leeds, Yorkshire
montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You will enjoy it!

I've been the last three years and will be going again this year - although I only go on the Friday.

Wondering round you will be struggling to think of what is not there! It does get very busy round the paddock area but you will get closer to the cars / bikes than anywhere else.

I would recommend the rally stage at the top of the hill. It is a long climb to the top but it is worth it. The rally stage is supposed to be even better this year. (You can get a tractor ride for part of the hill if you are feeling a little lazy).

Numerous photograph opportunities so be prepared to take lots of photos if thats your thing.

There is a Bowler off road passenger ride which you can go on - well there has been in recent years anyway! I think its about £30.

You will want to go again in 2008.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 21:06 (Ref:1825107)   #3
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We do two days at the FoS, Friday and Sunday. Friday is general admission and Sunday is grandstand (Park ).

Friday is for drooling through the non F1 paddocks, the displays near the house and then a wander up the hill. There are several places midway up the hill which are good for action photography and then it's the rally stage and the top paddock, both are well worth the walk or tractor ride.

Sunday starts at with breakfast in the Porsche cafe, a wander around the F1 paddock (less crowded as the early GA spectators are guarding their positions by the track), then watch the whole field during the first run from the grandstand. After that it's a trip around the infield stands, shops and displays and then return to the grandstand for the headliners second runs.

We arrive at 7AM and leave after the last cars have finished and still two days isn't enough.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 09:51 (Ref:1826259)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Take some good walking shoes/boots as you will be on your feet for the most part of the day. Turnaround is always a good place to start as you see the cars come from the paddock down to the start line where they queue for their slot. From there you can walk along the course stopping to admire the house, then cross the track to gain access to the various paddocks. If you are a true officianado then you will want to spend ages in the various paddocks, drooling over the cars and chatting to mechanics and drivers alike. Then you can slowling walk up the hill to see the various attractions on the way before you reach top paddock. There is another turnaround area there where you will see the cars and drivers lingering before their journey back down the hill again. At the top of the hill is the rally stage which is really worth taking the time to see.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 14:36 (Ref:1826532)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All good stuff folks, keep it coming!

(I can see this is going to be an awfully busy weekend... wonder what the hotel will say to us asking for breakfast at 5.30am... )
Old 26 Jan 2007, 14:59 (Ref:1826548)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
If the hotel is near to Goodwood they will be expecting an early call.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 15:27 (Ref:1826568)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Um... not particularly. Southsea (Portsmouth). 25 miles away. It's the nearest I could find!
Old 26 Jan 2007, 15:29 (Ref:1826572)   #8
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello

I'd like to warn you that the A27 between Portsmouth and Goodwood gets REALLY BUSY and is best avoided if possible. Now thats fine for me to say because I live down here and have been to a few F of S and Revivals. An alternative for you (if you're good at map reading ) is to work your way north of the A27 through Funtington, which is a lot quieter. Even Fridays are very busy on the roads.

The car parks are large so I have invested in a helium balloon before just to help me locate the car. Amazingly it was still there when we returned so perhaps it IS the right crowd (but plenty of crowding )) Its a lot easier of course when I use the motorbike, which is my transport of choice.

Nick
Old 26 Jan 2007, 15:47 (Ref:1826592)   #9
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Cheers Nick - will remember that. The crew I'm with are used to finding "back routes" into Welsh rally stages, so I should think we'll manage some country lane navigation in Hampshire...
Old 26 Jan 2007, 16:09 (Ref:1826604)   #10
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have found the Friday traffic from London to be worse than the weekend traffic.
I don't think I'd bother with a grandstand. But I really do like walking around and seeing the track and rally stage from all angles aswell as hours ogling over the cars in the pits!
Old 26 Jan 2007, 16:12 (Ref:1826606)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
And don't forget to stop by at Post 1 and say hello to me Garcon!
Old 2 Feb 2007, 00:21 (Ref:1831529)   #12
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year I was helping my mates with the Nissan Super Tourer, it gave me the chance to stand right next to a lot of very sexy cars as they did their burn outs on the way up to the startline. Ive never in 23 years put my fingers in my ears for any car but the Ferrari 512p forced me to. THE most amazing sound ever. Better than the Matra and better than an H16 BRM.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 09:23 (Ref:1878283)   #13
Rob974y
Rookie

Rob974y should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there this year, have been for the last two years and love it, its unlike anything else i have been too for the selection of different styles, era etc of cars and bikes, loads of top drivers too, got jackie ickx's autograph last year and could have got jenson buttons but didnt want to mob him.

i was reading that there is a special Group C celeration this year, does anyone know which cars will be showing? One car i have missed and really want to see again is one of the sauber mercedes, surely some of the saubers raced before mercedes factory input must be privately owned, a kouros one would be nice to see and HEAR again after 20 something years
Old 28 Mar 2007, 09:26 (Ref:1878286)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
You need to keep an eye on the Goodwood website as they normally update it with cars and drivers etc.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 10:32 (Ref:1878332)   #15
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The autograph hunters were like packs of rabid dogs for Mansell last year. Poor fellow, let him enjoy the cars and event like a normal person.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 10:56 (Ref:1878343)   #16
Rob974y
Rookie

Rob974y should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
exactly why i didnt bother button, he was mobbed within seconds, people need more manners i think, you just get pushed out of the way even tho when he appeared there was only me and about 5 other people, the rabid dog description is mild!
Old 13 Apr 2007, 18:06 (Ref:1890619)   #17
Mulsanne Bleu
Rookie

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Mulsanne Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick49
Hello

I'd like to warn you that the A27 between Portsmouth and Goodwood gets REALLY BUSY and is best avoided if possible. Now thats fine for me to say because I live down here and have been to a few F of S and Revivals. An alternative for you (if you're good at map reading ) is to work your way north of the A27 through Funtington, which is a lot quieter. Even Fridays are very busy on the roads.

The car parks are large so I have invested in a helium balloon before just to help me locate the car. Amazingly it was still there when we returned so perhaps it IS the right crowd (but plenty of crowding )) Its a lot easier of course when I use the motorbike, which is my transport of choice.

Nick
One other advice which I do is, leave your accomodation at the earliest opportunity, before 9am as most of the traffic will build up by then

Looking forward to it as I been told last year by a Japanese Toyota mechanic that it will be their year this time as they are bringing a Toyota 7 and the GT-One, I hope that they will be bringing Keiichi Tsuchiya, considering that reason why he is popular as he drove the runner up car at LM in '99
Old 17 Apr 2007, 16:43 (Ref:1893970)   #18
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm oh so jealous. first time in 5 years we shaln't be going. Gutted
Old 19 Apr 2007, 10:41 (Ref:1895372)   #19
Marshalling Bag
Rookie

Marshalling Bag is a back marker
We wont be there this year either So sorry Mr Green you will have to put your tent up without our help this year

The best places for photo opportunities you wont be able to get to unfortunately Garcon (unless you know the right people ) but the Rally stage is definately a walk around.

Racer_kyle I noticed your signature, I had my photo taken with Jeson Button in 2005 in the top paddock. I dont think I calmed down for about 4 hours afterwards
Old 26 May 2007, 10:23 (Ref:1921458)   #20
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haha, I queued for about an hour and a half in the hot sun in 2005 to see him. got sunstroke and all , felt rotten the next day but boy was it worth it.

Think i might actually be going this year afterall!! *so* excited! I hear lewis is coming, so i can imagine he will get absolutely MOBBED wherever he goes! hege
Old 8 Jun 2007, 16:10 (Ref:1932416)   #21
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm going for the first time this year, on the Friday only and marshalling on the rally stage. Looking forward to it and we've been told we'll have some time to wander around too which'll be good. According to an email I had earlier today from The Times, they're doing a 15000 ticket giveaway on Sunday - may be worth checking online. A quick search though has found an earlier, older article so not sure what this thing on Sunday will be http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle1899488.ece
Old 8 Jun 2007, 16:33 (Ref:1932434)   #22
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hard copy sunday

Online tickets now

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle1899488.ece
Old 8 Jun 2007, 17:36 (Ref:1932468)   #23
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Same link as I posted above, says 7500 tickets available but email says 15000 - prob best to get in early in any case and hope there's still some available.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 21:30 (Ref:1932706)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
website says 7500 pairs of tickets = 15000 tickets
Old 9 Jun 2007, 08:32 (Ref:1932973)   #25
Suze
Veteran

England
one point to redshoes